24 inch barrel on ducks

pierce62

Yesterday I purchased a m2000 and I took it hunting this morning and it mis- fired the first time I pulled the trigger. After wasting ten mins and alot missed oppurtunity I removed the two washers b/w the forend and the barrel and it fired perfect from that point on.My question is what is the purpose of the washers and am I damaging my gun by using it without them?

All that matters is what you like. If you like a 24'' barrel, Then shoot it. A longer barrel will give you a longer sight plane and better "swing" but that is about it. In a shorter barrel you will hardly lose any velocity and barely see a differance in the way your gun patterns. I shoot turkeys with a 24'' barrel, upland and dove with a 26'', and waterfowl with a 28". Like I say, whatever you like.

Novaking

To add to what Novaking said, which is dead on by the way...

Due to the extended receiver length to accommodate the bolt and action, a 24" semi-automatic or pump action shotgun will offer as much sighting plane as a 28" o/u or sxs.

Modern propellants burn completely in 18" or so of barrel length, and pressure (thus velocity) gains are negligible with additional barrel length.

Benelli's American Gun Dog covered these issues concisely in their first season.

View Season 1 - Episode 3

http://americangundog.com/straightshooting_AGD1.html

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I first started duck hunting I was using a 24" barrel and did ok with it on ducks as far as pass shooting, but could not kill a goose to save my life (maybe shooter error) I then went to a 28" barrel gold hunter and was able to shoot them geese. When I bought my SBEII in 28" I like the feel of the swing since this is alot lighter than my Gold 28", I guess it is what feels good to you. I have a cousin that bought a 30" 1187 and he likes it.

• 2 weeks later...
Good for quick shots at close range. Good for carrying in heavy brush. Good for turkey in case you need to swing and change direction.

Can be bad for longer range shots, shorter barrel=lower velocity.

Can hamper follow through on pass shooting.

actually it depends on if your are shooting lead or steel loads, anyone should know that when it comes to shooting steel shot, it does not change anything in bullistics or patterns between barrel's, the shorter one's are a little louder and easier to swing, but keep in mind with a shorter barrel, people tend to swing much faster then the target is flying therfor shooting in front of them. I shoot a 24" S.B.E with a wadwizard choke(modified) and have made good shots on ducks and geese at 60+yards