Supernova Tactical Questions

JosephF

1. Can anyone recomend a top (picitiny?) rail that bolts right on to the tapped holes in front of the ghost ring sights and a good funcional tactical type scope that would bolt on there? I would like to leave the ghost ring sights on.

2. Can I do this myself or do I need a gunsmith?

3. Do you remove the ghost ring sights when you install a scope?

4. Can I use REM Oil Wipes on the stock and barrel or is there something better?

5. Is there such a thing as a lighter load rifled slug shells for target shooting?

Please post picctures if possible.

Thanks

There is no such thing as a lighter load slug as far as i know (of course 2 3/4" will most likely be lighter than a 3") but they do make low recoil slugs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=212295

Be advised that the full power will be more powerful at further out ranges and will be able to go farther in general.

-Nik

Just be sure to pay attention to those mounting screws. Plus, consider using Loctite blue.

According to Mitch Barrie at Mesa, they're in the process of changing over from the common taper countersink screws to... essentially, the same style of application specific screws Benelli uses on the M4.

The idea is to improve the quality of thread engagement at the tip of the screw, and improve screw depth consistency in the counter-bore.

C

5. Is there such a thing as a lighter load rifled slug shells for target shooting?

Please post picctures if possible.

Hey JF,

Brenneke KO 2 3/4 inch slugs are a full power slug, 1600 fps, yet they are cheap and light recoiling to the shoulder. You can practice with a full power slug w/o the shoulder aggravation.

• 7 months later...

JF,

Look for the Brenneke slugs. I bought the Home Defense rifled slugs for use in my Benelli SuperNova Tactical. Ammo to Go has 100 rounds for about $1.00 per slug. Use the Rifled Version for the Tactical Smooth Bore Barrel. Federal. Fiocchi, Remington, and Winchester make "Managed Recoil Rifled Slugs." I purchased some WinLite Low Recoil 00 Buck (WL1200) and Royal Buck Low Recoil 00 Buck (RBLR129). Both have 9 pellets and sell for $4.99 for a box of 5.

I also purchased some Remington Managed-Recoil STS Target Loads, 2 3/4", 1100 FPS, 7/8 oz. 8 1/2 shot (RLSTS1285) and Winchester AA Xtra-Lite Target Loads, 2 3/4", 1200 FPS, 1 oz. 9 shot. Bass Pro has the Remington at a reasonable price for a case of 250 shells, and Gander Mountain was also reaonable for the Winchester Xtra-Lite Loads.

I think Fiocchi and Winchester also offer similar loads at a lower recoil at 980 FPS. You may need to order the 980FPS shells on line.

captnkc