Is it worth it? follower

Nikolai552

Is it worth it? Not sure. But, I can say that I have one of these for my SN and that it seems to be of much higher quality than the original plastic follower. I bought mine due to the fact that I tend to store ammo in my gun for decent periods of time. I have heard that, over time, the plastic follower can be negatively affected when storing ammo in the tube (for HD purposes, lets say). So, it was more of a "better safe than sorry" purchase. Is it truly necessary? I cant say for sure.

No problem. But, as I mentioned before, this particular item may not be considered by some as a "necessity". Ive just read several complaints about the plastic followers in Remingtons breaking and thus, jamming the weapon. So....I figured the plastic followers used in Benellis wouldnt fare much better over time. Seeing as how Ive run into the effects of "Murphys Law" more than I care to admit, I went with a safer bet.;)

Oh, and I havent encountered any "flaking" after roughly 50 rounds or so. I guess its possible, but probable? Not sure yet. Good luck man.

Will do. One more thing to consider. Since this is an aftermarket item it wouldnt be a bad idea to check for the reliable cycling of rounds, using dummy rounds or snap caps, every so often. I tend to do this post dis-assembly/re-assembly of the firearm using at least 4 A-Zoom rounds (these seem to be, based on what I have found up to this point, the closest to the actual size and weight of 2 3/4" rounds ). I have tried the Pacmayr rounds and they tend to jam up the action from time to time, based on my experience.

Of course, this kind of function checking isnt a bad habit to get into regardless of what you have. Good luck.

Edited by shotgunNoob

Is there something wrong with the stock follower?

Or are you just not trusting of "plastic" parts ... even for extremely low impact jobs, like being a follower sealed inside of a metal magazine?

If so, I point you to Glock, Magpul ...

In short, I see 0 reason to replace the follower, as you're not going to get anything out of it.

If you have problems with your follower somehow, or just want to burn money, then perhaps I can understand.

There are many areas of the M4 where aftermarket parts enhance and upgrade the weapon ... replacing the follower is just treading water.

My $.02

Duggan... I think he, like myself, just feels better with a bit higher quality vs stock, particularly when comparing aluminum to plastic. As I mentioned before, I have heard several accounts of plastic followers, found in Remingtons for instance, failing after a short period of time. Does this mean that those found in the Benellis will as well? Not necessarily, but why take the chance?

Its not really about whats better for now, but rather, what may be better in the long run. Shelling out $14 is cheap insurance IMHO.

Edited by shotgunNoob

Well I like to consider myself the buy it because I want it kind of person. A normal car would be fine but I drive a Vette and so on. Yet the stock plastic follower has went back in my SuperNova after adding an extension and just adding a new spring. It has pushed over 1500 rounds down my magazine tube and looks the same as round number one.

So basically if it makes you feel better buy it but it isn't nesessary by any means.

Well I like to consider myself the buy it because I want it kind of person. A normal car would be fine but I drive a Vette and so on. Yet the stock plastic follower has went back in my SuperNova after adding an extension and just adding a new spring. It has pushed over 1500 rounds down my magazine tube and looks the same as round number one.

So basically if it makes you feel better buy it but it isn't nesessary by any means.

may i suggest a john rigby??

If you say so. It's your money.

But please show me a report on this board where a benelli stock FOLLOWER has failed (not the spring, or problems going to a full tube, etc).

I cant. But then again, I have yet to claim any have. Its all about heading off Murphys Law, nothing more. Besides, whats $15? Ive seen many peeps pay far, far more for "unnecessary" items concerning weaponry. Sometimes it just comes down to what "feels" right. :D

Besides, Nikolai has more than likely made up his mind on this one. So, I guess arguing against/for its "necessity" is probably mute at this point.

Edited by shotgunNoob

For those of you who have it does yours have a hole in the front of it? I just got two of them and mine are not exactly thje same as whats pictured on catus tactical or midway usa's sites. Mine look more like the 20 gauge model and have reliefs cut in around the back ridge. It is 12 gauge in size and the golden color

Putting shiny rims on your car doesn't make it go faster. But people do it.

It's nice to buy little "presents" for your toys.

Do you NEED to replace the factory follower due to likely failure? No.

Will the new part be more likely to cause problems than the factory part?

That's the right question to ask.

The factory, and DoD, tested the **** out of the m4 and any weak areas were addressed. If your life depends on it, don't trust the "truth" of those looking to make a buck by selling you an "upgrade" for your M4.

C97

Putting shiny rims on your car doesn't make it go faster. But people do it.

It's nice to buy little "presents" for your toys.

Do you NEED to replace the factory follower due to likely failure? No.

Will the new part be more likely to cause problems than the factory part?

That's the right question to ask.

The factory, and DoD, tested the **** out of the m4 and any weak areas were addressed. If your life depends on it, don't trust the "truth" of those looking to make a buck by selling you an "upgrade" for your M4.

C97

Thats why its ALWAYS good to function test the weapon, any weapon, on a regular basis. This applies to weapons with bone stock components or add-ons.

For those of you who have it does yours have a hole in the front of it? I just got two of them and mine are not exactly thje same as whats pictured on catus tactical or midway usa's sites. Mine look more like the 20 gauge model and have reliefs cut in around the back ridge. It is 12 gauge in size and the golden color

Im not sure by what you are referring to when you say "reliefs". If you are talking about the "ribs" (3 of them), then this is normal. It seems the only difference, besides color, is the 20g model has a small hole located opposite the spring side and is a bit longer vs the 12g model.

To answer your question about a small hole, my NC follower does not have one other than the large "hole" needed for, of course, the spring. If, however, you are sure that yours is a 12g model, yet it has a small hole opposite the spring insertion side, I wouldnt worry about it too much. Offhand, I cant see how this will have any negative effects. If you are concerned, I would either contact the place you bought it from or Nordic Components. Ask them the same question and see what they have to say. Maybe its just an updated design and the pics you are seeing are of the older model.

To all the others who mentioned the useless need of this component, I personally had a fairly good reason for going with this NC follower. This would be because I have installed their +2 mag extension which came with a much longer and slightly different spring. For this reason, I felt compelled to use a follower that was designed to be used with these components. Completely necessary? Probably not. But, seeing as how the stock follower was designed for stock springs, I figured Id use aftermarket with aftermarket. Trust me, I know that aftermarket items are, at times, not what they are advertised to be. This is why I pay particular attention to, as mentioned before, function testing my shotgun on a regular basis.

Edited by shotgunNoob

Guest cleefurd

I've never seen plastic ones fail, they are only under nominal compression. The M4 has a plastic face at the request, and in many cases, (my own Escambia County Police Department for one) insistance that a blaze orange or bright red follower face be present, as a clear indicator of depleted magazine. THAT follower is eerily similar to "brass" in unfavorable light conditions... worst case someone "thinks" they see the "brass-ish" looking follower, when in fact there's a live one ready for rackin'. Stick with the one geared towards safety, and made with inherent lubricity of the acetal based plastic the OEM offers.

I've never seen plastic ones fail, they are only under nominal compression. The M4 has a plastic face at the request, and in many cases, (my own Escambia County Police Department for one) insistance that a blaze orange or bright red follower face be present, as a clear indicator of depleted magazine. THAT follower is eerily similar to "brass" in unfavorable light conditions... worst case someone "thinks" they see the "brass-ish" looking follower, when in fact there's a live one ready for rackin'. Stick with the one geared towards safety, and made with inherent lubricity of the acetal based plastic the OEM offers.

Start searching around for Remington 870 owners. I have seen and heard of several plastic followers breaking apart within the tube. As I have mentioned before...Does this pertain to those used in Benelli guns? Not at all. But, it does make one think.

Besides, Im not claiming this part will fail. However, I keep 4 to 5 rounds in the tube at all times, for home defense. Im assuming this puts an increased amount of strain on this particular item as it is constant strain vs temporary strain. For this, I would rather use something tougher than plastic. Just my opinion. Whether its right or wrong...I dont particularly care. I bought my NC follower to be used with an NC spring which is all housed in an NC mag extension. Nordic Components makes quality parts. There is no reason to assume that anyone using these parts is settling for sub-standard or unnecessary add-ons. Regardless of whether or not the Benelli follower works, Ill take aluminum over plastic when it comes to my weapon.

Edited by shotgunNoob

What I mean by reliefs is that on the rib on the sping insertion end mine is not a solid rib. Mine has a series of machined in reliefs cut perpendicular to the last rib so ther are bumps now insted of a solid rib like the front two are and the face of my follower has a hole in it like the 20 gauge model has. Any ideas guys? Does anybody have contact info for Nordic Componets besides their email?