bow hunting

bobcat

Guest cleefurd
If I bowhunted (which I don't) I'd use a Benelli bow (which they don't make).

HAHAHAHAHAHA . Nice. I'm glad bow hunters would trust Benelli forum members, bet'ya people go on the Matthews threads and ask questions about slug guns too... fair is fair. Welcome friend!

I've owned Jennings, Oneidas and High Country. I shot all of them very well. Bows nowadays are made well, find a bow shop that will let you shoot various models before you buy. At the end of the day proper form and shot placement is all that matters. By the way, bow hunting the rut is an awesome time in the woods.

I couldnt agree more with both of you. Hunting isnt an arm chair sport, you need to be there. I hear so many people try to give advice from what they heard or saw on TV, most of those hunting shows are utter BS. Get out there and do it then come talk to me.

like others have said before here, get the best equipment you can afford and learn to use it well. Then go as much as you can.

Thank you everyone for your advice, for those who are stating the obvious about this being a Benelli gun site, I know that, I own a R1 Comfort Tech and if you had read my original post, I asked if anyone had any suggestions on bows, not any opinions or comments on my question. So, if you feel like you need to respond but have nothing to say of use, save yourself the time and don't bother.

Thank you for the intelligent responses from people who appreciate the sport of hunting and were helpful enough to respond constuctively. I will look into the bows everyone suggested.

Mathews have good reviews and are high end bows! I started last year and for my first bow I got a Bowtech. I haven't been big game hunting with it yet but too learn my bow and learn spot and stalk and sill hunting methods, I started with ground squirls (whistle pigs). Squirls are fun to hunt with a bow when you are learning and I've killed more than with my 22.

These guys are right about being in the field actually hunting but when you're learning the sport you should put as many arrows through it as you can.

BTW, my bow was a package deal single cam with a tru glow sight and hostage rest that did me very well and I only paid about 400 for the whole thing, and I do recomend a single cam bow. The same company also makes Diamond archery which are still awsome bows but way less expensive.

another piece of advice is if you haven't been through an archery safety course yet, it would be a good idea. I learned alot even though I thought I knew everything before ;)

good luck on your new venture!

Hoyt all the way. I have had both and have found Hoyt to have less shock and it is the quietest, but thats in my hands go to a pro shop and shoot them both. Get the one that fits you and feels good to you. Really if you gow to the bowsite and ask you will get 100 different opinions but it has to be what feels and shoots good to you. Either way you can't go wrong with any of the big name bows.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Browning Illusion and absolutely love it. It shoots in the low 3's (f/s). If I could afford to shoot a Matthews I might, ........na nevermind. I shoot the illusion well enough and saved some money by not buying "the name".