SBE cycling problem?

WillieP

I had a question for you guys, I have had my SBE for seven years and have put a couple thousand rounds through it. At the end of last duck season when it was around 25 degrees or colder it started hanging up on me. The action is real stiff about a quarter the way coming back forward. I went out this morning and the same thing, It didn't happen during turkey season or early duck season. The action is clean and I took the spring out of the stock and it is clean as well. It hang up regardless of shell length. I'm not sure where to start so any info would be greatly appreciated.......thanks

What kind of lube are you using?

Did you flush out the recoil spring and piston assembly, and then relube it?

Did you test the recoil assembly to see if it moved freely?

Is the action real stiff regardless of temperature, or just when cold?

Did you clean out the receiver and make sure there was no gunk in the rails where the bolt slides?

Did you test the bolt sliding in the rails with the barrel off?

What kind of lube are you using?

Did you flush out the recoil spring and piston assembly, and then relube it?

Did you test the recoil assembly to see if it moved freely?

Is the action real stiff regardless of temperature, or just when cold?

Did you clean out the receiver and make sure there was no gunk in the rails where the bolt slides?

Did you test the bolt sliding in the rails with the barrel off?

I cleaned the recoil spring and lubed it and the action with a light coat of remoil. The rail slides are clean. The action is a little stiff at room temp but only hang fires when it's below freezing. And the action is stiff with and without the barrel. Is there any chance the return spring could be weak or are they pretty durable........thanks

Willie,

Throw away the Remoil.

Gets some Break free or Hoppes Elite Field Cleaner or Hoppes Elite oil.

If you still have problems after this outing, take the gun apart and remove the recoil assemble from the stock.

Depress the spring and plunger and flush it out with Gunscrubber or a carb and choke cleaner.

Do the same for the receiver and the trigger group.

Relube with one of the lubes above and wipe down until there's just a light film of lube.

Reassemble.

Thanks for all the help fellas. It performed flawlessly this morning, it ended up raining and was warmer than expected but I could tell a huge difference just by cycling it manually. I had a small bottle of the Outers oil in a gun cleaning kit my wife got me for my birthday this year and it seemed to do the trick. I will pick up some of the oils you guys recommended and once again thanks for the advice.

I'm glad to hear it's working better!

Good to have you on the forums too.

Stick around and help us sportsmen keep those quasi-commandos like Duggan and M1014 in check ;)

Thanks Tucker! I'm glad to be here. I spend a little time on Archery Talk but I'm glad I found this forum, I'm a huge Benelli fan. I was starting to get worried about my SBE because the fellas I hunt with were just bragging last week that I never have problems and I have them convinced on getting a Benelli. The fault lays on me for not lubing her up good.