SBEII turkey chokes

highwall shu

Can anyone reccomend a good turkey choke for the SBEII? Just got mine & will need a choke for next year's turkey season. JellyHead worked well with my BPS, no trouble at 50 yds with max dram 5s.

p.s. I'm new at this forum & 'thread' thing, what are 'Tags'?

I've heard that the JellyHead works with the SBEII very well.

Being underbored, the SBE II can be touchy to dial in. Unless you get a real peach, don't expect dense 50 yards patterns with your SBE II. It might happen, it just hasn't for me with any Benelli since 1990.

But since I rarely shoot past 25-30 yards, this is not a big deal for me. I've got several BPS's set up for long range work, mostly for some open terrain out of state hunts.

Best choke so far for me in the SBE II has been the Jellyhead .660 with Win XR #6's. Very nice pattern out to about 38-40 yards, but it falls completly apart after that.

Good luck!

Being underbored, the SBE II can be touchy to dial in. Unless you get a real peach, don't expect dense 50 yards patterns with your SBE II. It might happen, it just hasn't for me with any Benelli since 1990.

When you write that the SBE II is underbored; is that as opposed to Browning's 'back-bored'?

I use a Rhino .660 choke and Nitro Company Ammunition (3-1/2") in my SBE II and can consistently put 9 or more pellets in a turkey target vitals at 50 yards. NOTHING patterns better than Nitro 4x5x7 Hevi-Shot with the chokes they recommend. I consistently crumple birds at 40 - 50 yards with Nitro loads (10+ toms dropped with zero cripples). Sure, they're $6.00 a shot, but turkey hunting is a 1-shot deal!

Hevi-Shot's 1-3/4 oz. load, #6 shot, 1090 fps also produces excellent patterns at 40-45 yards (actually better than the 2-1/4 oz load) with my SBE II/Rhino choke. It's a lot easier on the shoulder - I set this load to help a 16-year-old take his first spring bird.

I use a Rhino .660 choke and Nitro Company Ammunition (3-1/2") in my SBE II and can consistently put 9 or more pellets in a turkey target vitals at 50 yards. NOTHING patterns better than Nitro 4x5x7 Hevi-Shot with the chokes they recommend. I consistently crumple birds at 40 - 50 yards with Nitro loads (10+ toms dropped with zero cripples). Sure, they're $6.00 a shot, but turkey hunting is a 1-shot deal!

Nine pellets at 50 yards is unacceptable for my needs. Take that shot often enough, and you may lose a bird or two. Remember, you are pretty much trying to hit (and shatter bone) a walnut sitting on a pencil at 50 yards. Nine tiny HS pellets is not my idea of great odds. Sure, you will get the golden BB's, but I can't accept the golden BB theory on a regular basis.

I've bought shells from Ray for many years and can easily put 8-15 pellets in the vitals at 50 yards with that Rhino choke or the Jellyhead, but most of those pellets are the HS 7's, which are actually more like slag 9's or 10's.

Spend some time at the NWTF board and you will see how a Nitro shell gets dissected. Many tear apart the shells and measure EACH pellet :eek: They do work though, I've had Ray make up some 10 gauge loads that are close to $10 per shell.

Here's the deal for me; if I lived in turkey country and could hunt every day, I'd probably shoot 2.75" or 3" at best copper coated lead from a .660 or maybe .665 choke.

But I don't live in turkey country or at least I don't have access to the private land in Cali that holds the most birds, so I like to hunt with the best equipment I can afford and I want all of my guns to throw the best pattern money can buy.

I'm not going to take a week off and head to Nebraska, pay all the fees, airfare, rental car, etc. and bring a weak patterning gun with me. It's just not going to happen.

But this is just my take!