Ammo for M4

fjcM4

Hello, my first post here. I just bought a new M4. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to the range for a bit to test it out. I'm looking to buy up some ammo for it. From what I've read, I should be able to shoot darn near anything out of this shotgun, but before I buy stuff that might be problematic I thought I'd post and ask a couple of questions.

I have a case of Federal 00 Buck full-recoil, I'm assuming that should cycle just fine in the M4.

What cheap "practice" ammo would you M4 owners recommend? What size birdshot, etc, for practice at the range? Any specific loads that DON'T work for you?

I just want to make sure I don't order a case of something that just won't run in an M4.

Thanks!

Whatever is cheapest ... normally for me it's 100 packs of federal of fiocchi #8 or #9 shot birdshot from walmart or someplace. If you're just looking to practice manipulating the gun and rounds, this is your best bet. No reason to have extra recoil and pay more when you're just blasting away to get the feel of the gun and it's function.

For cheap practice buckshot for "realistic" training, just look around for deals on wolf, S&B, nobel ... It's all gonna be close to the same price for decent buckshot.

Best bet is always to buy lots of different stuff, see what you and your gun like, see what patterns well and feeds well, and then go and buy more of that stuff. This is worth more than any guy on the internet telling you what to get.

Thanks!

Best bet is always to buy lots of different stuff, see what you and your gun like, see what patterns well and feeds well, and then go and buy more of that stuff. This is worth more than any guy on the internet telling you what to get.

Agreed, but I thought I'd ask here first in case there's certain loads/brands that are known to give the M4 fits. I'd hate to buy boxes of stuff that's problematic.

I broke mine in with 00 Federal,Federal slugs,Federal 00 in both the 3 inch and 2-3/4 variety. I also ran 2 boxes of 25 3 inch Mag Kents Diamond shot that was a very heavy load. Since then I've ran everything from 00 to cheap winchester wally world. Functions flawless. If I were you I would shoot the 1st 100 or so 00 Federal to get things fluid then shoot the cheap stuff. Its a debate on here but just my 2 cents.

My M4 ate anything, but OOO 3" Remington Buckshot was BY FAR the tightest grouping buckshot. I have targets at 40 yards that show 70-80% patterns in a small-statured person's chest area. They were normal patterns. Not hand-picked.

YMMV, and probably will.

I showed similar results with my M4. I was using the Federal 00 buck full power loads with the "flight control wad"

I was shooting a 22" round plate at 50 yards on the dot. All nine pellets struck the plate with only one of the nine out of center mass.

There are many different rounds out there that have their claim to fame but I think the federal full power 00 buck flight control are some of the best.

Now, with that said. Like mentioned above. For getting the feel of your shotgun pick up the 100 round value pack from wal mart. I first used the Winchester with decent results then bought the Federal with better results.

My only problem with either of the rounds were that the last round would not fully feed onto the carrier causing the ramp to pin the shell half way into the tube. I dont think that this is an ammo issue as much as it is my mag spring being too weak to feed the last round. I have a full length Daves Metal Works tube on mine.

In the factory configuration you should really be fine with whatever round you choose to feed it.

Just remember whatever round you choose when you think you have enough to take out and shoot...double it. Shooting the M4 is like no other shotgun out there. It truely is the most fun of any shotgun I have ever shot.

Have fun and give us a range report!