Is it bad to keep rechambering the same round?

SubSolar

I just bought a new M4. I want to keep it fully loaded (4+1+1) for self defense. However, when I want to show my friends it or go to the range, I obviously have to unload it first. Is it bad for a shotshell to keep being chambered? The last round that I chamber, I am slowly letting the bolt close on it. I ask this cause I've heard that it's bad to keep rechambering the same handgun round.

greetings,,you just bought your M4,thats great,,,inspecting your ammo should come to you as lets say breathing,,its always important to check your ammo for whatever usage,,,as long as the shell is not deformed at the end or maybe cracked anywhere, etc,it will be okay,,sooner better than later rotate the cycled good ones out,,read your manual carefully,,,have a safe holidays.

greetings,,you just bought your M4,thats great,,,inspecting your ammo should come to you as lets say breathing,,its always important to check your ammo for whatever usage,,,as long as the shell is not deformed at the end or maybe cracked anywhere, etc,it will be okay,,sooner better than later rotate the cycled good ones out,,read your manual carefully,,,have a safe holidays.

+1 no need to be worried with quality ammo that has no visible signs of wear.

I think what you are reffering to is in regards to re-chambering handgun rounds. When chambering handgun rounds it is possible to have the bullet setback due to the contact with the feedramp. This usually only happens when the bullet is not crimped properly. I dont think this could be a problem with shotgun shells but like others mentioned just inspect your ammo for visible signs of wear, cracks bulges etc.

Happy shooting.

I think what you are reffering to is in regards to re-chambering handgun rounds. When chambering handgun rounds it is possible to have the bullet setback due to the contact with the feedramp. This usually only happens when the bullet is not crimped properly. I dont think this could be a problem with shotgun shells but like others mentioned just inspect your ammo for visible signs of wear, cracks bulges etc.

Happy shooting.

+1. Couldn't say better.

Guest cleefurd

Some guns will slam fire after repeated chambering of same rd, sometimes even the first time. Had it happen on an SR-25 using soft cup Federal 210 primers. Little did I know Knight's Mfg Co had already attempted to let customers know this was a bad mix. I have never heard of any such calamity being associated with M4's.

On a similar note, our local distributor told a friend of mine it was inadvisable to ride the Benelli bolt home slowly. I have yet to ask the dealer why this is. He may have it on good authority, or base it on some obscure urban legend.... no telling which until I hear it from him myself, or have someone here corroborate it.

On a similar note, our local distributor told a friend of mine it was inadvisable to ride the Benelli bolt home slowly. I have yet to ask the dealer why this is. He may have it on good authority, or base it on some obscure urban legend.... no telling which until I hear it from him myself, or have someone here corroborate it.

Err, I think this advice could kill you! Check this thread: http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16907&highlight=click

It appears the most reliable way to make a Benelli unreliable is to NOT slam it home!

That would suck if rounds would fire by slamming it home, then there would be no real good option for us Benelli owners to chamber rounds!

Guest cleefurd
Err, I think this advice could kill you! Check this thread: http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16907&highlight=click

It appears the most reliable way to make a Benelli unreliable is to NOT slam it home!

That would suck if rounds would fire by slamming it home, then there would be no real good option for us Benelli owners to chamber rounds!

Not here to kill anyone, my advice was to get better advice. Sub Solars humor is killing me though HARHAR. His link also answered my question to a T. My head stopped hurting once good data appeared following his link. Errr...Thanks. Saved me an aspirin or two.

Guest cleefurd

You left out (edited) the part of my same quote which read;

"I have never heard of any such calamity being associated with M4's."

Essentially I was validating his perception that in "SOME" instances it is prudent to use finesse, while assuring no known link to this practice where the M4 is involved.

See? Do not try to confuse, obfuscate.

Edited by cleefurd

I was referring to the dealer's advice. I don't know if the M4 suffers from the "Benelli click" like the inertia models. I may have been exaggerating, if you are just hunting or clay shooting, slowly riding the bolt closed and causing the click won't kill ya. If you did this during a home invasion that might be a different story.

Guest cleefurd

Guess if someone was afraid the intruder would pee himself inside the victims home, he'd try and be quiet (slowly riding the bolt home). But where's the fun in that right? Again I agree with the advice you produced, let 'er slam home, bad guy soaks his britches and THAT'S why he gets shot.

Guest cleefurd

You are right. It won't slam fire, the case I mentioned involved "Match" rifle primer properties and significant firing pin inertia, at levels never approached with the M4 platform.