Firing Pin?

NovaDucker

Thats good at least you guys are having birds still work in the area. How do you like duck hunting so far?Hows the weather up there, I saw on the news that seatle is just getting pounded with snow. Is that helping you guys out at all? I've been hunting ducks and geese now for 14 years and I think we hunt ducks a little different then you guys up there. We hunt out of pit blinds down here.

love duck hunting so far. i used to fish ALL THE TIME. i have gone 3 times since the opener in october. the weather has been horrible. everything is frozen so much that we can walk across ponds that would usually be over our heads. there are only a few ditches open, so it is only jump shooting. there are no pit blinds in the areas i have hunted, but my buddy has been talking about them. we usually find some brush or cover to hide in, or standup blinds that people have built(public land)

wow i wish we had that weather down here because although it might be terrible, I've noticed that if you stick it out in that kind of weather your gonna kill alot more birds.

www.ducks.org

If you go on the Ducks Unlimited website and you clock on the "hunting" tab at the top, it gives you some great tips on hunting ponds that are frozen over. If you can break some ice in the area and set a few floater decoys in the water and have some shell decoys on the ice your gonna have a lot more birds come in because that may be the only open water in that area.

Duck hunting is addicting im just warning you haha

Man, this is crazy. I am going on a south-zone dove hunt close to the (southern) border here in Texas tomorrow where we expect 76 degrees and our biggest problem will be keeping cool!!! I can't imagine all that freezing stuff you guys have to put up with. But I know you enjoy hunting what you can when you can, just like we do here down south. Best to all. :)

i dont have a problem breaking ice and all that crap, but the guy i hunt with is all about jump shooting and not wanting to break and set in the ice. most of the ice has been too thick to break without taking an axe out. we can walk across the whole flats, where usually its calf/knee deep water. definately not the most enjoyable weather, but its still fun. keep your warm weather down there, i like the cold lol

I'll trade you right now lol. This California weather is too damn hot, its almost the end of duck season by the time we finally get any storms down here. Jump shootin is tough, I've tried it a few times. Im big into standing in bush or sitting in ground blinds and calling ducks in and watchin them work. Do you guys shoot your limits up there alot or no?

havnt gotten a limit yet this year. was bad today, buddy didnt think there would be anyone out so he said no decoys, after i insisted, well there was 3 rigs in the lot and guy setting up dekes. it payed off for them good today, he got an earful of that one. dont know anyone that has gotten a limit from the area we hunt, not a lot of birds, and they found a flooded field that no one is allowed to hunt, so they sit there. we still havnt gotten the push of birds we should have by now, hopefully it gets good. lots of wigeon up here.

No decoys... are you kidding me? Im not big into setting alot of decoys, only 25 or so. But if your gonig to duck hunt you need **** at least 6. Did you guys bring a mojo duck or anything? See the nice thing about where you guys hunt its alot easier to call in ducks because they're just starting the migration, and with a few decoys they should be coming right in. Down here in California the ducks are pretty much used to calling so it takes some talent to bring them in. Thats kinda sad though cause here you just started duck hunting and you already know more than your buddy lol

yeah he figured there would be no one, and we would be able to just jump shoot. i knew there would be people decoy hunting, but once again he wouldnt listen. on the walk out we met a nice guy who offered to go out to a pond with us and he had dekes, but i didnt have my waders on since we were just jump shooting. my neighbor and a friend went out today and they both limited. took em 8 hours of hunting, but they got all 14. heading out tomorrow with him, hoping for similar results but in less time.

Thats nice being able to hunt everyday of the season. We have a club rule where we can only hunt Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesdays so we can allow the birds to come back in the area. I've limited almost every time this year within about 4 hours, my dad and I killed both our limits in 1/2 hour a few weeks ago. Haha so yeah I hope you learned somethin.... always bring decoys and always bring your waders even if your not gonna use them.

the waders wasnt a big deal he had them to go for a bird if needed. this is all public areas, so its hard to predict where they will be as there is another area a 1/4 mile southeast of this one that has a lot of open water. he will learn one day to listen to me, but im the newbie and i dont know anything and he knows everything lol.

Haha it must drive him crazy because I know when I guide people there's alot of pressure cause you want everything to go good but hey like I tell them huntin in huntin, if you hunt long enough your gonna have good days and bad days. Tell your buddy he should find somethin else to shoot, something that requires no work what so ever lol Im thinkin a high fence game ranch......... hahaha because obviously he's gettin beat out by a newbie. He'll be pissed lol

went out and took the dekes but didnt use them. got a late start as we both over slept a little. got there right about shooting time and got to the first gate and jumped a group of Gadwall. he wasnt loaded, but i was and took 2. maybe he will learn one day that there is always ducks in the ditch on the way out. again the newby beats the experienced one.

got all we got was those 2. i will try to draw a diagram of the area. that will help you to see why we dont have much of a chance for many birds jump shooting. headed out right this morning too, good luck.

cant upload the pic, do you have an email i can send it to?

Edited by NovaDucker

• 3 weeks later...
same problem the pump falls back 1/8 of an inch causing bolt to separate from bolt assembly creating short strikes. the reason is the release latch it doesn`t hold the bolt in place usually on first shot .i`m very angry about it my supernova is only 4 months old

I am having the same issue. Tried contacting customer service, and they were NO help. I am notcing the 1/8" gap when i close it. Is there any way to fix that? I'm getting ready to throw the gun, cause its caused me to miss SOOO many ducks and geese since ive bought the gun (back on 12/26/08)

I am having the same issue. Tried contacting customer service, and they were NO help. I am notcing the 1/8" gap when i close it. Is there any way to fix that? I'm getting ready to throw the gun, cause its caused me to miss SOOO many ducks and geese since ive bought the gun (back on 12/26/08)

When your shooting your Supernova, you have to make sure that your bolt is fully engauged and locked. If its not, then your going to get the famous Benelli "click" alot of the new shooters are having that exact same problem.

The 1/8" gap shouldn't make a difference because I have a Remington 870 that had somewhat of a gap as well and I used that gun for ducks and geese for a while and it shot great. I still use that gun as a backup if something happens to go wrong with my Franchi I-12.

If your concerned about that gap, then I would suggest taking it down to your local gun shop and seeing what they can do. They might end up sending it back to Benelli, but at least they'll be able to address the problem.

Down here in California this is our last week of duck season so I would finish out the season, then take my gun in. But its up to you.

is there a way to tighten the bolt? (forgive me if i sound stupid, i dont know much about repairing guns) I do notice the play in the bolt after i slide the action forward. I also noticed that after i slide the action foward and i put upwards pressure on the slide, it makes the bolt tight. Is that how I'm going to have to hunt with this gun? With constent pressure on the action?

I live in PA, and do a lot of duck hunting in MD, the season there ends this friday and goose goes out in March so im gonna try to hold off as long as I can before I take it somewhere. We went out on Monday and say over 1,000 ducks and 1,000 geese. We only walked away with 2 geese, but was cool to see all the ducks. Saw all kinds, mallards, Blacksducks, Hoodies, a Red Head, 10-15 Red Breasted Marganzers, Golden Eyes, a few Buffelheads, and a diver that none of us had ever seen before. We went to Assateague Island last week and 3 of us combined took 20 ducks (mostly buffel's, but we also had a drake and hen mallard, 2 blackducks) This is the first year I've ever hunted ducks or geese, and IM HOOKED now..