New Benelli M4 range report

SubSolar

Took the new M4 to an outdoor range today. I'm pleased to report it cycled a variety of shells without a hiccup. Probably went through about 70 rounds. With Federal Tactical 00 with FLITECONTROL, I could easily hit 8" metal silhouettes offhand at 50 yards and sometimes 75 yards. Seemed like it spread out too much or lost too much oomph at 100 yards, I couldn't hear it hitting at that range and could see the pellets hitting the dirt around it. The Federal 00's are known for having the tightest groupings but they are slightly longer than other 2.75" shells. I can only fit 4 in the magazine tube. I will try some Hornady's as they are shorter and reportedly fit 5 in the tube for 5+1+1. Oh yeah, I also tried some 3" 00 and could noticeably feel the difference in recoil.

I bench rested it for 100 yards with some Winchester Super X Hollow Point Rifled Slugs and could hit the metal silhouette almost every time. Not bad for no optics and the first time for me shooting slugs. I'll try it with some Federal Tactical slugs when I get my hands on some.

The gun is very easy to break down and clean for a semiauto shottie. Much easier than my Dad's Remington 1100. Overall I'm very pleased even though I spent a fortune for this thing. I figured it being semiauto and having a pistol grip would make it a future target for the Obammunists. It's my new go-to-gun for home defense. Here's some pics:

3126689372_e6fcf3a8fa.jpg

3126412753_d69c03a3d8.jpg

Yeah, the M4 is surprisingly easy to service. A lot easier to detail clean than the M1 IMHO. It doesn't take much to gum up the gas pistons though :(

Oh?

What ammo are you shooting?

I almost never have any "gum" on my gas pistons. Even after 500 round sessions, my gas pistons are normally just slightly dirty.

And great report/gun Subsolar!

Oh?

What ammo are you shooting?

I almost never have any "gum" on my gas pistons. Even after 500 round sessions, my gas pistons are normally just slightly dirty.

And great report/gun Subsolar!

Some lots of the Winchester AA's seem to be particularily nasty. Never had a problem with Federal bulk pack, just the AA's. Needless to say, we don't use AA's anymore. They dirty up semi's and stick in pumps, not worth the slight price savings

The gas pistons had residue in them for sure after the day at the range, but I wouldn't say gummed up. And I hear that the M4 is pretty clean running compared to other gas semiautos. Don't know if it can run as long as the inertia based Benellis without cleaning though. Would be an interesting test for someone to do.

Guest cleefurd

What size steel were your slugs engaging at the 100 yd line??

Were they the same 8"ers you shot at in the other accounts?

Open sights, hit %??

Just curious. Great details by the way. Thoroughly enjoy that type of report.

What size steel were your slugs engaging at the 100 yd line??

Were they the same 8"ers you shot at in the other accounts?

Open sights, hit %??

Just curious. Great details by the way. Thoroughly enjoy that type of report.

They're the stock ghost ring sites. From the factory they seemed to sight in at a 6 O'Clock hold at 100 yards with the ammo I was using. I changed the elevation on the sights for a Point of Aim cause I prefer that better. The slugs were 2.75" Winchester X. The silhouettes looked like the same 8 inchers. I was the only one with a shottie shooting at them, everyone else had a rifle. I could only hit it once in an entire mag with my Sig 220ST (.45) while also benching. With the M4 I could probably hit it about 80-90% of the time. I think after 100 yards, the next metal targets are at 200 yards at this range. Think 3" slugs or a different brand would be more consistent? I just noticed that I believe the Federal Tactical slugs only come in low recoil, so I don't know if that will work with a semiauto.

Brenneke claims their 3" 12ga Black Magic Magnum will shoot 3" groups at 100 yrds from a smooth bore. They claim some of their other slugs are highly accurate beyond 100 yrds but don't specify group patterns. But who cares, the Black Magic is just awesome! NOTE: It's going to cause a lot of damage to whatever it hits.