barrel turns white

kafasi

Guest cleefurd

Not sure what "hard wipes" are, unless you're describing the force applied. If they (hard wipes) degrease it to any extent, the parkerizing will show as a distinctly lighter shade of grey. Remember parkerizing is micro-crystaline in nature, and if heavy pressure is applied with linen, the fabric could conceivably be shredding itself into the pores of thye parkerizing, leaving a "white-ish" appearance behind. Try using a soft bristle nylon toothbrush with a dab of oil to lightly scrub out the white particles. If this is what occured, you will notice it promptly returning to a dark tone. Any "focused" cleaning of a parkerized surface will eventually break down the rough surface, thus diminishing the light absorption characteristic it had when freshly applied. That is where the "matte" texture is seen. The smoother it gets by knocking down the pores roughness, the less "matte" it will appear, until eventually you are down to bare metal in instances where the contact is repeated metal-on-metal sliding for example. Hope this helped....maybe it just has a complex and WANTS to be white.

Edited by cleefurd

Guest cleefurd
It happened in one of my Benellis

I sent the barrel to Mr. Theo in virginia and it came back better than when it was new!!!

Call your gunsmith before you have more problems to deal with(rust , pitting , etc ...)

Did your gunsmith give an account of what had gone awry? Was it remedied by "know-how" or by re-finishing? Very curious, I feel bad for this guy. From everything we have passed on, and his willingness to try, I'm itching to know how a towel could do so much harm, and if Benelli, an insidious OTC gun product, or mere neglect are to blame.

Guest cleefurd

Never seen a "good" park job do that. Not even close. I do in house parkerizing which when preceeded by etching/blasting WON'T be at the mercy of a towel. I know that offers little relief to you now, I only mention it because it seems as though Benelli ought to know, especially since it seems to be common, (see Tucker's account). Perhaps on a $30 pellet rifle, but wiping down to bare white metal with a towel just seems WRONG. When I saw the photo, I felt like a Dr must feel when seeing a patient with leprosy. Either re-parking or high-end coating like Tucker suggests seems like a good recourse. At least it has no bearing on function... good thing.

Guest cleefurd

Pleeeaase make sure that IF you have it parkerized, you have the bore plugged during any surface prep.

I am beginning to wonder if the "base-coat" beneath the black, isn't a light by-product of the bore plating that materialized in spite of the anode being inside the barrel during the process. This might explain why Benelli opts for a field expedient (although of pithetic durability) coating over a more durable treatment/coating. Come to think of it, even the best coatings won't adhere well to chrome plating.

Edited by cleefurd