US Made Titanium Benelli M4 Magazine Tubes! Available online Jan 1, 2009.

Guest cleefurd

My previous tactical shotgun was a Mossberg 590 and when I kept it loaded with 8 rounds, it would not cycle the last round or two after 6-12 months even using Wolf springs. The spring was compressed too much for that duration and it lost some of its tension, so I made a habit of replacing the Wolf spring every 6 months. I wonder about loading all 7 rounds into an M4 with full-length magazine tube -- IF the spring will need replaced once a year or so?

MikeSp

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My previous tactical shotgun was a Mossberg 590 and when I kept it loaded with 8 rounds, it would not cycle the last round or two after 6-12 months even using Wolf springs. The spring was compressed too much for that duration and it lost some of its tension, so I made a habit of replacing the Wolf spring every 6 months. I wonder about loading all 7 rounds into an M4 with full-length magazine tube -- IF the spring will need replaced once a year or so?

MikeSp

This will warrent further looking into. I don't think an honest answer exists currently.

I left my M4 loaded with the stock spring for almost five years with a full length extension. It cycled 10 - 12 thousand rounds in that period of time. The magazine worked fine during this period of time. Kip's spring has a lot more tension. Springs usually are damaged from over compression or due to compression cycles. Springs do not wear out due to being loaded for long periods of time.

If you're really concerned, down load one round. That way you also have room to insert a specialty round if needed. Such as a slug.

I left my M4 loaded with the stock spring for almost five years with a full length extension. It cycled 10 - 12 thousand rounds in that period of time. The magazine worked fine during this period of time. Kip's spring has a lot more tension. Springs usually are damaged from over compression or due to compression cycles. Springs do not wear out due to being loaded for long periods of time.

If you're really concerned, down load one round. That way you also have room to insert a specialty round if needed. Such as a slug.

Edited by StrangerDanger
DT

I agree with you academically, Stranger, but I saw a test where a guy took a magazine, compressed the spring, left it for 6 months, then took another new magazine and cycled it 20 times or so. The 6 mo/compressed once spring was still shorter. I dunno what to think anymore, but I know scientifically your post is 100% dead-on.

*Haha, re-reading my post, I was reminded of the merchant character on the Resident Evil PSII game who whips open his trench-coat like a mall pervert and yells "Hello, Stranger, got somethin' that might interest ya!"

As long as he doesn't look like the hamburglar, that's ok!

I'd wager to say that the Benelli spring is being compressed beyond its intended compression point. Consider this, when the magazine tube is full, there is still a quarter inch or so that you can push the stack of rounds in. This means the spring is completely compressed. The coils are side by side with no room or play.

To protect the spring, they'd need a longer tube in order to prevent over compression. No one wants that on their gun. The Wolf may take a set in time also. But if it works for 10k rounds, I'll gladly replace it then.

A good spring is mandatory if you're going to start messing with the cyclic action by installing lightweight charging handles and so on. If that shell isn't on the elevator by the time the bolt is to the rear, it will cause jams and slow the BCG down. The problem is amplified by using low brass loads. The problem is usually encountered on the last one or two rounds in the magazine due to low spring tension.

Just listening to the Benelli after I put Kips spring in is drastically different. It's not the spring you hear. It's the action working much smoother. I constantly listen to the action when shooting low brass or low recoil ammunition since the M4 is such a great shotgun, I'm ready to fire again before the action has cycled. If you pull the trigger again while it is cycling after the elevator drops, the disconnector is disengaged and you will end up with the hammer down on a live round.

A good spring is mandatory if you're going to start messing with the cyclic action by installing lightweight charging handles and so on. If that shell isn't on the elevator by the time the bolt is to the rear, it will cause jams and slow the BCG down. The problem is amplified by using low brass loads. The problem is usually encountered on the last one or two rounds in the magazine due to low spring tension.

I agree 100%, however, my issues came when using MEAN stuff, like 3" Remington #4 Buckshot and the like. The inertia of recoil compresses the mag-spring under the weight of the last shell, and cycling does not occur properly. The shell, as you stated, does not make it fully onto the elevator as it has to return from it's trip deeper into the mag-tube caused by recoil/inertia.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cleefurd
OK. Kip is da man.

The tube suddenly showed up at my front door this morning. No prior shipping email nor tracking #.

Woo hoo!

Thanks jojunior,

The USPS tracking details usually cause more confusion than anything. Sometimes I think they only scan it upon delivery, meaning the whole trip the customer assumes it is lost then there it is. UPS on the other hand costs twice as much and takes twice as long to deliver, but they tell you to the grid square where it is hour-by-hour.

Kip,

Just wanted to confirm for everyone your tube is excellent. I highly reccomend everyone getting one for their hog.

But I was also wondering what happened to your plans to make the Titanium Charging handles? Were you able to make any progress with that? or is it still on the back burner? Just curious sir. Semper.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...