Slug barrel for the cordoba

cutler686

Originally posted by mudhen:

How many would they sell?........

I think the Nova/M2/M1/SBE/SBE II in slug is sufficient.....

mudhen - CA

I don't.

I prefer the one group over the others.

an all around shotgun such as the sport II, SS and cordoba should indeed have a rifled slug barrel option.

barrels seem to be the only thing preventing those as one for all shotguns. for instance I would "like" to think of the sport II as an excellent "if you're only going to own one shotgun, this is an excellent choice", but to do this a couple shorter (and for some, longer) barrels along with rifled slug would be necessary. (24-26" barrels would be nice for upland game)

if benelli decides not to provide the option hopefully somebody else will.

Try to think of it this way...If every gun they sold was an all around shotgun, no one would want to buy any other model of gun (this is how money is made). With changes in design come new forend molds for different barrel contours, barrels have to be made (RS having to be heavier and thicker barrel) costing tens of thousands. Selling guns makes money. Anyhow, the Cordoba name meaning was not chosen to put a heavy rifled slug barrel on. It was designed to be a great field gun and that is just what it is.

[ 11-05-2005, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: wallhanger54 ]

I would not be surprised if the SBEI/II slug barrel fit the Cordoba. Look at zoomed in pics of the Cordoba and SBEII and see the striking similarities of the barrel/receiver fit.. The forearm might be a different story. If it's like the SBEI it can be shaped to fit, but I'm only speculating.

Originally posted by 69beers:

I would not be surprised if the SBEI/II slug barrel fit the Cordoba. Look at zoomed in pics of the Cordoba and SBEII and see the striking similarities of the barrel/receiver fit.. The forearm might be a different story. If it's like the SBEI it can be shaped to fit, but I'm only speculating.

this is what originally got me to thinking more about it

The SBE I or II will not fit it. The barrel attatchment to the mag tube is made like the Monte and Super Sport and there are no rifled slug barrels made for them. I don't know if E.R. Shaw still offers the modification but I guess if you had an extra cordoba barrel they might be able to custom make you one.

Originally posted by wallhanger54:

Try to think of it this way...If every gun they sold was an all around shotgun, no one would want to buy any other model of gun (this is how money is made). With changes in design come new forend molds for different barrel contours, barrels have to be made (RS having to be heavier and thicker barrel) costing tens of thousands. Selling guns makes money. Anyhow, the Cordoba name meaning was not chosen to put a heavy rifled slug barrel on. It was designed to be a great field gun and that is just what it is.

I understand the concepts you expose but prefer the one family over the other. the "name" seems more a marketing issue and I am a bit curious why Cordoba is shown seperate from SS and SII on the website. regardless of whether the rs barrel is an issue to you or I for some it is relevant and I appreciate the concern.

I've seen the subject and comparison of cordova being approx $400 more than the M2 and whether the differences warrant the extra cost. to me they do and are justifiable, but when the subject of overall barrel availabilty is brought up then the more pricey starts to loose ground.

interestingly "for me", although the differences are indeed justifiable (in favor of the cordova/sII family) my main appreciation is NOT related to the justifications but the feel and cosmetics. even rs barrel availablity "for me" is mostly irrelevant (I'd be more interested in a 26" barrel option for upland game use) but it is still appreciated and now one has to justify not only the differences but make snobery a part of the equation. perhaps this is a selling point that could be utilized also...

personally I would prefer to forego such a line and instead have the additional barrel availability.

Originally posted by KoolBreeze:

quote:

mudhen - CA

I don't.

I prefer the one group over the others.

an all around shotgun such as the sport II, SS and cordoba should indeed have a rifled slug barrel option.

barrels seem to be the only thing preventing those as one for all shotguns. for instance I would "like" to think of the sport II as an excellent "if you're only going to own one shotgun, this is an excellent choice", but to do this a couple shorter (and for some, longer) barrels along with rifled slug would be necessary. (24-26" barrels would be nice for upland game)

if benelli decides not to provide the option hopefully somebody else will. I do.

The SII & SS are not marketed as all around shotguns. They give the Cordoba a marginal endorsement as an all around gun.

All three guns are ported, and that makes them terrible duck blind mates.

But while we are at it, I'd like to see the SS/SII in Max4 camo, or maybe a home defense SS, how about a SII with a pistol grip?, I'd like a Cordoba with a 24" barrel for turkeys.....

I'd like the R1 to be available in every caliber ever made.

I think all Benellis should be available in all gauges; .410, 28, 20, 16, 12, 10, and even 8 just for fun.

Have fun, I think you are a troll anyway......

mudhen - CA

I do.

The SII & SS are not marketed as all around shotguns. They give the Cordoba a marginal endorsement as an all around gun.

All three guns are ported, and that makes them terrible duck blind mates.

But while we are at it, I'd like to see the SS/SII in Max4 camo, or maybe a home defense SS, how about a SII with a pistol grip?, I'd like a Cordoba with a 24" barrel for turkeys.....

I'd like the R1 to be available in every caliber ever made.

I think all Benellis should be available in all gauges; .410, 28, 20, 16, 12, 10, and even 8 just for fun.

Have fun, I think you are a troll anyway......

mudhen - CA

if it's no fun, it's work. and even working I prefer to have fun. trolling has always appeared as a rather boring pastime and I'm not usually impressed by that particular sport so while you might feel like a fish I would prefer to discuss the issue at hand.

back to the barrel availability of the family of benelli's that is "supersport, sport II and cordoba"...

"marketing" was brought up as was a comparison to another benelli family that contains the M2. lets take that a bit further...

sell me a M2.

go ahead, sell me a M2.

I know I could easily "sell" the M2 on function and features, I am just asking for you and others to recognize the selling points of the M2.

now sell me on an "upgrade" to the Cordoba limited to features and function.

still possible, but it could very well end up being more an emotional appeal than based upon a value placed on the features and function. and limiting factors such as barrel availability is, well "limiting"

you don't seem to understand or "agree with" this irt this ONE particular family yet you DO with the other?

mudhen - CA

you're saying they should need to select the other family even though some will prefer this one and I don't get why you seem to advocate the limiting of their choices. (at least we're not talking about balck fords and this isn't the 20's)

as the other family suggests, I feel there is a market for additional variations within this family and if you don't then that's your opinion while this is mine.

I see nothing "marginal" in their endorsement. how do you qualify your statement in that regards?

anyway... how about selling me a M2 then when I ask about that cordoba, sell me on that instead.

Zzzzzzz...yawn......the Cordova is a black dove gun, no more, no less....neat gun, shot one last week, nice....but no nicer than any other Benelli I've owned and/or shot....

"The new Cordoba is a crossover shotgun that’s fast in the field and at home on a sporting clays range"

"Inspired by the high volume dove shooting found around Cordoba, Argentina, Benelli engineers designed the Cordoba as a lighting fast hunting gun with all the advanced features of a serious sporting clays shotgun."

"Incorporated into the new Cordoba is the 10mm sporting rib favored by competition shooters and porting to keep barrel climb to a minimum."

"The ComforTec stock cushions the blow when ammo isn’t measured in boxes but cases in an afternoon."

Bring on more "pen-raised" questions.....

It's your cabbage, sell yourself on whatever fits you best.....

Bye freak....

mudhen - CA

Zzzzzzz...yawn......the Cordova is a black dove gun, no more, no less....neat gun, shot one last week, nice....but no nicer than any other Benelli I've owned and/or shot....

"The new Cordoba is a crossover shotgun that’s fast in the field and at home on a sporting clays range"

"Inspired by the high volume dove shooting found around Cordoba, Argentina, Benelli engineers designed the Cordoba as a lighting fast hunting gun with all the advanced features of a serious sporting clays shotgun."

"Incorporated into the new Cordoba is the 10mm sporting rib favored by competition shooters and porting to keep barrel climb to a minimum."

"The ComforTec stock cushions the blow when ammo isn’t measured in boxes but cases in an afternoon."

Bring on more "pen-raised" questions.....

It's your cabbage, sell yourself on whatever fits you best.....

Bye freak....

mudhen - CA

your rudeness is reflective of your inability to properly address the issue.

I'm certainly glad you don't represent the brand and only yourself.

KoolBreeze,

The question was silly to start with.

Benelli marketing information clearly defined the niche for which the Cordoba was built.

A slug barrell for a high-volume dove gun is a ridiculous notion.

They already offer slug barrels for a number of other quality field guns, and that market is well-covered by those offerings.

Get over it.

Originally posted by tucker301:

KoolBreeze,

The question was silly to start with.

Benelli marketing information clearly defined the niche for which the Cordoba was built.

A slug barrell for a high-volume dove gun is a ridiculous notion.

They already offer slug barrels for a number of other quality field guns, and that market is well-covered by those offerings.

Get over it.

"get over it"?

your post was fine up until that point, but then you just HAD to get personal. (well maybe not fine since you were basically being insultive by calling the other persons inquiry "silly".)

:rolleyes:

regardless of me "getting over it", Cordoba is a single option in a family of shotguns. ranging from the Legacy (with the barrel I would want btw) to the Supersport.

skipping the issue that many have against the concept of adding a RS barrel to the family I am still going to say they should allow for a few optional configurations.

if you or others don't agree, peachy keen n fine and dandy BUT I still will stick to the issue and present logical arguements, if this drives others to emotional states requiring insults and name calling so be it, knock yourself out I have a thick skin and brush that off as coming from those who can't address logical arguements.

many, perhaps including yourself and mudhen, may at times recognize an area where improvement can be made in a certain area. nobody and nothing is perfect and I believe I've stumbled upon an area that could be addressed. If you or mudhen ever notice such a thing in an area I have more experience with and address it (somewhere else on the internet) and I disagree I will attempt to discuss it with you without resorting to name calling or such. ;)

for instance.... in the family that is "Legacy, SII, Cordoba and SS", where is the option for a non-compensated field barrel along with Comfortech?

they've determined there is room in the family for a field gun (the legacy) and a cross over (Cordoba) along with range guns (SS and SII) yet no option currently offers a field barrel with confortech. (that I know of at least) I would think that would be a logical next step option. after that one of the next logical steps could be to offer a rs barrel.

to that end I wouldn't think a "field and slug" combo would be that bad of an offereing actually "for some". (doesn't have to named after a city in south america either. maybe call it Appalachian or something. haha)

if this never happens, so be it. I feel Benelli would miss out "slightly" on a possible market. I say possible since it seems a hard sell getting some to this family from the one containing the M2 in the first place as I mentioned previously.

perhaps you more knowledgable folks can help me with this....

is it possible to fit the non-ported Legacys field barrel to the cordoba? I don't know if they needed to tune the action to compensate for the ported barrels or if the ported barrels are reduced in diameter themselves to accomplish this. I am assuming the barrels are since the extended criochokes fit only the SS, SII and Cordoba. this may then be an option "for me" since I can then use a Briley extended choke. (don't even know if they make them for the SS, SII and Cordoba "only" barrels)

or perhaps the comfortech stock and forearm can be fitted to the Legacy instead?

anyway, when you start looking at the bigger picture of the "family" the originators question of asking about a slug barrell for a particular member of the family that specificaly is being marketed as a high-volume dove gun may not seem such a ridiculous notion.

[ 11-07-2005, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: KoolBreeze ]

koolbreeze i think we are on our own here

It is a hybrid shotgun, so why is it so "silly"??

Just because my Ford crown vic. isn't advertised pulling around a boat dosn't mean i cant pull my chris craft out of the water.

and just because my SKS wasn't made for killing deer it still is going to nab me a buck this year

i just think there should be an allaround shot gun and if the cordoba had a slug baral it would be.

Here is my question for you guys; where does it stop?

Should the slug barrel be 21" or 24"? Maybe 18.5?

Rifled or smoothbore?

Drilled and tapped or cantilever?

Don't forget good old open sights!

Then take all these choices and mix & match - each would have to be a different sku and each would have to cost $450+.

Open your Benelli catalog, there are your choices....

You are on your own for good reason......

mudhen - CA

Here is my question for you guys; where does it stop?

Should the slug barrel be 21" or 24"? Maybe 18.5?

Rifled or smoothbore?

Drilled and tapped or cantilever?

Don't forget good old open sights!

Then take all these choices and mix & match - each would have to be a different sku and each would have to cost $450+.

Open your Benelli catalog, there are your choices....

You are on your own for good reason......

mudhen - CA

you never know do you? I don't the exact order and history behind this family but it didn't "stop" with the SII as there is also the SS, Cordoba and even the Legacy.

this seems to be where YOU want it to stop. perhaps Benelli should never offer another option, barrel or even shotgun for the rest of time as YOU are satisfied and think enough is enough at present.

can you offer a logical arguement why the family should only contain two options with comfortech in conjunciton with ported barrels, one sans comfortech with ported barrel and one sans comfortech with non-ported barrel and yet NOT one with comfortech with a non-ported barrel option?

but YOU are satisfied with this even though the parts are there and it's a sound option and because YOU are satisfied, the heck with everyone else. (reminiscent of Mr. Ford and the color black.) it's a good thing there's competition or else there wouldn't be "comfortech" in the first place wouldn't you think? or do you prefer the more authoritarian stance that you get what is offered and that's it? that IS the stance you have decided to advocate here. The former Soviet Union was pretty much the same and changes came very slow there, perhaps you would prefer the clock be set back so you could emigrate there. Sounds like a rather good fit.

Me? I think there's a good chance (as noted in my post above if you are cabable of paying attention beyond a few short lines of irrelevant banter) the next option will be for a model with field (non-ported) barrels AND comfortech. if I'm wrong, so be it, time will tell and if so Benelli's missing an option for an upgrade over the M2 family that would provide additional competition for that market. (yes there's a market for quality $1k-$1.5k semi-autos both field and range capable)

I'm still curious if anyone reading this has the knowledge to answer my questions concerning Legacy and Cordoba compatability.

that would be a start in the "right" direction IMHO.

Originally posted by cutler686:

koolbreeze i think we are on our own here

It is a hybrid shotgun, so why is it so "silly"??

Just because my Ford crown vic. isn't advertised pulling around a boat dosn't mean i cant pull my chris craft out of the water.

and just because my SKS wasn't made for killing deer it still is going to nab me a buck this year

i just think there should be an allaround shot gun and if the cordoba had a slug baral it would be.

seems others are adamantly opposed to such a concept, especially due to the "name" Cordoba.

(maybe they don't have deer in S. America.)

maybe if they offer one for the "Legacy" you can lie and order it saying it's for a Legacy.

just don't let this board know, they might send the Cordoba shotgun police out since it's no longer a "high-volume dove gun" at that point.

wile reading some posts here i am wondering if the lower the member number the more likely that the individual is employed with Benelli somehow.

seeing that they are opposed to versatility and practicality and would rather see everyone buy 3 benelli shotguns.

i am considering the fact that this forum is a good sales pitch for this companty and not a room to post conversations about shotguns.