I need help with surface rust!!

Three Legged Dog

I have a SBEII that I put away wet on Tuesday after a glorious day of hunting. unpacked the car a few hours ago and went to clean my gun and my entire gun has surface rust on it. It normally has a spot to two and they just wipe off. This looks like it has been sitting on the bottum of a lake for two years. HELP!!!

I've had good luck with either 3in1 oil, or WD-40, applied liberally, then rubbed down (LIGHTLY) with 4-0 steel wool. Try it on a hidden area first, as I have seen some firearms that had such a thin blue that it would remove the blue. I obtained a Pre-64 Model 94 Winchester that the owner said was "junk" that was covered with surface rust. An hour with oil and 4/0 and it was like new. Hope this helps.

Hmm...If I were you I might try using a good CLP like BreakFree or Weapon Shield. Ive even heard that brake fluid can work, although Ive never tried this myself. If none of this stuff fits the bill, you might consider a quality gun degreaser perhaps. A quality gun solvent might even help, if left on long enough. Either way, Im sure that you will be able to remove the oxidation with a bit of "elbow grease".

In the future, if you didnt, I would recommend applying a good coat of lube or perhaps weapon-grade grease on all exterior metal surfaces prior to shooting in either very wet or very humid environments. Also, its probably not a bad idea to always wipe the gun dry after such exposure.

Im sure that several peeps here will offer similar or even better advice. Im just giving you an idea of what I would do given similar circumstances. Good luck....it will work out.:)

Edited by shotgunNoob

The reason people tell you not to use WD-40 on guns, is that it is a penetrating oil. If it leaves residue in a magazine, it can penetrate into the cartridges.

True..Ive heard that you dont want to use a penetrating type lube anywhere ammo will be stored (in this case, the mag tube). I tend to keep areas like this dry. On occasion, I will use Hornady One Shot. But, this is mainly for cleaning as I shoot my shotty about every 3 months or so.

Edited by shotgunNoob

I need the encouragment....I feel like a father that has neglected their child. I have some wd40 so I guess Ill just keep rubbing it down.

Do you have any solvent around, such as Hoppes? Try applying it on the affected surfaces and leaving it on for 10-15 minutes. Wipe off and then, if necessary, do it again. This may help cut through the oxidized areas.