Skeet trap super sport ii benelli

Claybird68

I'm thinking of getting a new benelli 12 gauge supersport II for trap and skeet. Is this the right gun for this? Is this as sweet of a gun as most say? Should I get a 28 or 30 inch barrells? Is the supersport 2 a good competition gun as well?

Thanks

Edited by Claybird68

If you'd have asked me a couple months ago, I'd have said no. However....

This is an excellent gun. I know two people who use this gun exclusively for sporting clays competition. One is a master class shooter, so yes, this is a good gun. He tames its recoil by using 7/8 ounce shells.

For trap? You will not see very many serious trap shooters shooting a Benelli anything on the trap range. Its light, and light means recoil, and when you shoot hundreds of shells in a day, recoil adds up.

Same with skeet.

But if you're not into registered competition, this gun will serve you fine.

If you're thinking of getting into registered ATA trap or NSSA skeet shooting, you might set your sights on a different gun.

Recoil? Surely you jest!

The SuperSport is softer to shoot than the same load in my Winchester 1400 or Weatherby Orion (SKB).

I'm beginning to believe this is taking on the status of "urban myth" perpetrated by those with a hidden agenda or those who haven't even shot one.

Listen, Claybird68, the SS is a soft-shooter, period. My offer is always open; come and shoot mine!

Recoil? Surely you jest!

The SuperSport is softer to shoot than the same load in my Winchester 1400 or Weatherby Orion (SKB).

I'm beginning to believe this is taking on the status of "urban myth" perpetrated by those with a hidden agenda or those who haven't even shot one.

Listen, Claybird68, the SS is a soft-shooter, period. My offer is always open; come and shoot mine!

Amen to that! My Benelli is "sweet" on my shoulder and recoil is just NOT an issue. I also don't understand where all that other-opinion stuff comes from.

I stand by what I said.

I've shot a supersport 12 gauge with trap loads, so I'm not blowing smoke. Its a nice gun. Points and shoots well. Yes, it is easier on recoil than other Benelli guns I've shot.

But.

It recoils more than my trap over/under. Simple as that.

It recoils more than my skeet/sporting clays over/under. Simple as that.

It recoils way more than my daughter's 1100 trap. Simple as that.

They may be the next big thing in clay target shooting, but I have never seen anyone shoot one in registered trap or skeet, and have only seen two people shoot them in registered sporting clays, and I know for a fact the master class shooter who uses one shoots 7/8 ounce loads to tame the recoil.

I would not want to shoot one for a typical local ATA trap shoot which consists of 100 trap singles, 100 trap handicap, and 100 trap doubles in one day.

And I regularly do that with my trap over/under.

Really.

And if you note, I said in my original post, it was an excellent gun and I recommend it.

I have no agenda.

Your mileage may vary.