Kent Faststeel...

patterson0108

I've been using the 3" Kent Fasteel #4 shot in my 20 gauge for several years now and I like how it performs. We shoot over decoys and don't shoot at ducks more than 30 yards out. The best part is the price. I get them on sale for $8.99 a box. I just picked up 6 more boxes.

i have no complaints about the fasteel, its all ive shot all season. i shoot 3 1/2 from my nova, and they drop birds. i havnt taken any really long shots with them yet, as most have been at decoying birds or jump shooting. got 2 boxes of 3" to burn up, hoping i have as good of results with them. cant beat the price either.

Kents are good because they're cheap, $12.99 for a box of 3" #2 shot. Anything under 35 yards is dead. Down here in California Im shooting at birds 45 to 50 yards out sometimes so I need a shell that will maintain its knockdown power out to those distances. Other than being cheap I dont like these shells what so ever. Very poor penatration, I've killed ducks such as mallards and redheads and when I was cleaning the birds I noticed that a few of the BB's hardly even penatrated the skin. I now shoot the Winchester Supremes and although they're expensive, Id rather pay a few more dollars on a good shell rather than a cheap box that will wound more birds.

My advice is buy a box of Kents and pattern your shotgun with them. Start at 25 or 30 yards and work your way back. Each gun shoots each load differently. If you like them, keep shooting them.

Edited by duckht183

I have been using Kent fasteel for three seasons now, using 3 1/2 BBB, BB, 2's on canada geese, snow geese and ducks and it seem to be doing fine, they shoot good out of my Browning, and just as well out of my SBEII. as far as penetration I have had no trouble, in fact I have seen holes thru 12 lbs geese, and have taken one head off a goose at 20 yards.

Faststeel outpreforms all other shells that I've shot through my SBEII. For ducks I use 3" #4 shot and for geese I shoot 3.5" bb. I have killed ducks from +/- 50 yards a time or two with them, and have killed a lot of waterfowl with them at closer range. I've tried Black cloud, hevi-steel, Xpert, and others, but Faststeel works best for me and my SBEII.