mag tube removal and spring?

cop1211

Guest cleefurd

Before proceeding please ensure the firearm is completely unloaded, clear mag tube and chamber, firearm on safe.

Lock the bolt to the rear, then remove the factory barrel nut (by hand), set the barrel, bolt group, and handguards to the side. Using snap ring pliers set to compress when gripped, carefully remove the spring retainer from the end of the factory mag tube, (keep it aimed away from your face, with your other hand over the end so that the spring can be safely contained when it is "set free"). Then tilt the gun downwards, allowing the spring and follower to fall out.

While everything cleeford says is true ... I take it you are talking about replacing the spring when changing from a +5 tube to a +7 tube ... in which case there is no reason to do this as the spring and follower will just come out the front when you take the tube off. You'll have to move the spring retainer over to the new tube anyways though, so ... whatever order you want. Also if you've already loctited the new tube on, and then want to change the spring, it may be easier to use what cleeford said ... I for one have no loctited my new tube in place, I see no reason or advantage to doing so.

Guest cleefurd

The reason I recommend removing it first, is because it is easier to control the spring alone, than a hot tube, follower and wayward spring if removing them in unison during a "first-off" OEM removal. I've read a post recently where-in a member did it the opposite way, and wound up sharing his "hind-sight" in a self efacing yet humorous post. Different ways to tie a shoe... so long as it stays tied right?