supernova problems

supernova

I thought I was having a similar problem and mine was falling out of battery. As it turns out, having only had the gun a couple weeks, I wasn't quite putting it in battery to begin with. Between the pressure from rotating the bolt and that extra half inch of stroke for the 3.5" chamber beyond what I was used to I just wasn't quite putting enough umpfh behind it. I'm sure this is not your problem from the sounds of it, sounds like you definitely would have noticed, but anyone else that spits out the occasional live shell may want to slow down and check what they're doing.

The SUperNoava when originally equipped with the Pistol Grip uses a diiferent stock rod than the Standard or ComforTech models. The CT and standard model use a dummy recoil spring tube with a stud on the end just like the M2 and M3. The PG uses a rod with notches for the collapseable stock that was in the works but never made it stateside. This rod also uses a bolt that threads into an insert in the rod also.

So a note to anyone with a PG SuperNova don't mess up the rod or insert because you cannot get a new one.

Hmm...Are we speaking of the SuperNova or SuperNova Tactical? My SNT came equipped with the Comfortech stock yet, has a stock rod similar to what you describe as coming with a SteadyGrip equipped Benelli (ie., using a bolt).

When speaking of the SN tactical, it doesnt seem to make much sense that two different types of stock rods would be used as the SNT was originally designed to accept 3 stock configurations.

Now, in regards to the basic SuperNova you may or may not be correct, but if you are speaking of the SNT, I would choose to be somewhat dubious about this statement.

Edited by shotgunNoob

Supernova, regarding your issue, any updates yet? I havent seen any new threads and/or posts regarding any possible resolution to your issue(s).

Keeping your issue in mind, when I last shot my SNT, I intentionally made no real effort to keep the fore-end pushed all the way forward into battery. I also tried pulling back on the fore-end (just prior to firing a chambered round) thus, taking it slightly out of "full battery." The result, besides a bit of play, I did not experience one misfire.

Now, upon further inspection, I did notice that while the locking head stays put, the bolt itself seems to move back and forth just a tiny bit. While this certainly bugs me, it doesnt seem to have had any negative affects up to this point (with roughly 100+ rounds) in terms of causing misfires.

Edited by shotgunNoob

So what exactly are you saying? Any way you slice it if you have a SuperNova with the notched stock rod you wont be able to get a new one if something happens to yours. The bolt also isn't cataloged by Benelli USA or Italy much less mentioned as existing.

Im saying that I believe the stock rod used for the SNT is one and the same, regardless of whether or not you have the SteadyGrip or ComforTech stock. Now, I can see this rod being somewhat different when comparing the standard SuperNova to a SuperNova Tactical.

Also, I cant see how in the world this particular rod would not be available via replacement, if necessary. It seems ridiculous to me that Benelli would only manufacture just enough of these rods to match the number of guns they produce. It may be hard to find for sure, but I would bet it could be done with enough tenacity and/or research.

In addition, if this "bolt" you mentioned cannot be purchased directly from Benelli, Im sure that it could be purchased via any online reseller of such bolts or possibly a local gunshop. After all, I doubt it is a "Benelli" exclusive bolt. Heck, if worse comes to worse, Im sure that there are several ways this bolt could actually be custom manufactured.

Im always of the opinion that, given the necessary funds and/or tenacity, almost anything is possible. :D

Edited by shotgunNoob

Im saying that I believe the stock rod used for the SNT is one and the same, regardless of whether or not you have the SteadyGrip or ComforTech stock. Now, I can see this rod being somewhat different when comparing the standard SuperNova to a SuperNova Tactical.

Also, I cant see how in the world this particular rod would not be available via replacement, if necessary. It seems ridiculous to me that Benelli would only manufacture just enough of these rods to match the number of guns they produce. It may be hard to find for sure, but I would bet it could be done with enough tenacity and/or research.

In addition, if this "bolt" you mentioned cannot be purchased directly from Benelli, Im sure that it could be purchased via any online reseller of such bolts or possibly a local gunshop. After all, I doubt it is a "Benelli" exclusive bolt. Heck, if worse comes to worse, Im sure that there are several ways this bolt could actually be custom manufactured.

Im always of the opinion that, given the necessary funds and/or tenacity, almost anything is possible. :D

The bolt itself is manufactured for Benelli Italy by SBE Varvit and is a M8 1.00 pitch and is 55mm long. It wasn't that I couldn't make a M8/1.00/50mm work just that I didn't want to and Benelli had no idea it existed. I am borderline OCD/Perfectionist and if I could have got a SBE bolt I would have no matter where or at what cost.

As for the stock tube it is available but it cannot be sold to anyone in the US or replaced under warranty due to it being part of a collapsable stock. If it is faulty by defect if you send in your gun Benelli can install another but thats the only way to get one new.

The bolt itself is manufactured for Benelli Italy by SBE Varvit and is a M8 1.00 pitch and is 55mm long.
This is useful information....thanks.

It wasn't that I couldn't make a M8/1.00/50mm work just that I didn't want to and Benelli had no idea it existed.
Ahh...Benelli CS, gotta love'em.:rolleyes:

As for the stock tube it is available but it cannot be sold to anyone in the US or replaced under warranty due to it being part of a collapsable stock. If it is faulty by defect if you send in your gun Benelli can install another but thats the only way to get one new.
This is interesting because, as far as I know, the collapsable stock doesnt seem available in the US. I wonder why Benelli would even be concerned about this.

So, you are basically saying that, for instance, if I damaged the rod on my SNT, I would have no other choice but to send it directly to Benelli and have them replace it vs just buying one myself? This seems ridiculous to me (nothing having to do with you).

It makes me wonder if, should the notched rod become damaged, one could just order/replace it with the "standard" rod used by the SuperNova turkey guns (not tactical), assuming that this particular rod is available through standard methods.

Since both the Comfortech and SteadyGrip stocks are available for both of these models, it seems like it would work. This is unless, of course, the receiver for the SNT is of a different design vs the SuperNova (I cant see why it would be).

Even though one would lose the ability to use the adjustable/collapsable stock, it would seem moot at this point as this particular stock doesnt seem to be available anyway. Thoughts?

Edited by shotgunNoob

So, you are basically saying that, for instance, if I damaged the rod on my SNT, I would have no other choice but to send it directly to Benelli and have them replace it vs just buying one myself? This seems ridiculous to me (nothing having to do with you).

It makes me wonder if, should the notched rod become damaged, one could just order/replace it with the "standard" rod used by the SuperNova turkey guns (not tactical), assuming that this particular rod is available through standard methods.

Since both the Comfortech and SteadyGrip stocks are available for both of these models, it seems like it would work. This is unless, of course, the receiver for the SNT is of a different design vs the SuperNova (I cant see why it would be).

Even though one would lose the ability to use the adjustable/collapsable stock, it would seem moot at this point as this particular stock doesnt seem to be available anyway. Thoughts?

When I thought I was never going to find a bolt that worked I actually thought about converting over to the dummy recoil tube.

The only real issue there would be lossening the factory loctite since you obviously cannot heat the SN reciever.

• 10 years later...

I know this an old post but I’ve had this same issue. My supernova worked fine at first but after about a half box of shells it began to dent primers but would not fire. I spoke with Benelli about the issue I told them my wife used the gun to fire on a turkey but it did not fire. They blamed the issue on my wife being a female and probably not being experienced or strong enough to pump the gun all the way forward. Funny thing is that my wife has probably shot more firearms than the guys at Benelli and does know what she is doing. It still would not fire when I used it. I finally got it out of them that they knew about the issue already but refused to fix the problem. So it’s basically a huge paperweight that I cannot fix or sale. I’m definitely no longer a Benelli customer!

• 3 months later...