Questions for the M4 experts

tactical1

As far as I know, every civilian m4 came with the regular pistol grip stock and a 2 round limiter tube from the factory.

If it's marked LE, MAYBE it was a LEO gun that came with a factory 7 round tube, but I highly doubt a LEO gun would have a field stock on it.

I don't see what it would be an issue though either way ... the parts are meant to be easily swapped on and off, why does it matter what it initially came with?

Also, you can tell pretty easily if the tube is a factory 7 round tube or not ... the factory 7 round tubes are pretty rough, you can see and feel the machining "spin marks" on them, and they will not have any US stamp at the base.

If I had to guess, I'd say either the gun was an LEO gun (came with 7 round factory tube, they added the field stock), or it was sold to a civilian in stock form and both the field stock and a 7 round tube of various possible sources was added.

thanks for the input; one of the concerns is with 922R compliance; I confess to not having a very good understanding of all the ins/outs of 922R, but as I understand it, the addition of an extended mag tube + pistol stock exceeds the allowable count - with a field stock & extended mag tube, one meets the compliance rules - again, I'm not even close to understanding the rule.

The other concern is to try to quality the quality of the install if the factory tube was installed after the fact. From what I see here, the install is not really for beginners to try.

Appreciate all the input I can get - thanks

It's actually quite simple to install a full length tube. There is like ... two steps. Apply the heat gun to the receiver until the 5 round tube twists out, then twist in the new tube ... then move over the spring, follower and retainer.

As far as 922r goes, yes, you should technically be at the same place you were before, since you have removed the pistol grip and added a +7 tube.

Then again, who cares about 922r?

Duggan - appreciate your comments; I've got an opportunity to purchase one with the 'factory' extended tube and field stock. Seller is the second owner and indicates the first owner (LEO?) either did the conversion or purchased it that way; no other parts (pistol grip/mag tube came with shotgun) I've seen pictures of the tube as it installs into the receiver and it looks fine(but what do I know) - just didn't want to get into a bind with a frankenstein after it was all said and done

922R - one just never knows..........:)

I understand.

What I want to emphasize though, is that the m4 is a modular gun ... not to the degree that the AR15 etc is, but it still is made to swap out parts as needed. It takes maybe 2 minutes to change stocks if you don't use a sling, the tube change takes maybe 20 minutes if you know what you're doing.

My point is that it's not really a "conversion" ... like the saiga AK from Henderson I'm buying is a "conversion" ... there's lots of tig welding, custom fabrication and the like ... the m4 is simply twisting off one factory part and putting on another.

Hope this made sense, and if I were you, I'd buy an M4 while I still could for a reasonable price.

-Duggan

As far as I know, every civilian m4 came with the regular pistol grip stock and a 2 round limiter tube from the factory.

If it's marked LE, MAYBE it was a LEO gun that came with a factory 7 round tube, but I highly doubt a LEO gun would have a field stock on it.

I don't see what it would be an issue though either way ... the parts are meant to be easily swapped on and off, why does it matter what it initially came with?

Also, you can tell pretty easily if the tube is a factory 7 round tube or not ... the factory 7 round tubes are pretty rough, you can see and feel the machining "spin marks" on them, and they will not have any US stamp at the base.

If I had to guess, I'd say either the gun was an LEO gun (came with 7 round factory tube, they added the field stock), or it was sold to a civilian in stock form and both the field stock and a 7 round tube of various possible sources was added.

As for the "field stock" on a LEO gun. If it was a "cruiser" gun, mounted in a rack in a car, and not for SWAT use, it would more than likely have had a "field stock". I've been a LEO for just shy of 20 years, and have never seen a "Tactical" or "pistol grip" stock mounted in a cruiser. They're just not "Politically Correct" enough, and they "alarm the public".

Edited by GENELEO