SBE1 recoil spring removal

prairiedog

Tryin to find out how to remove the recoil spring in my sbe1. I've takin the stock off and tried heating the stud/nut that is on the back end of the recoil tube, but it doesnt budge. Would like to get the spring out for inspection and cleaning. Was told this was how to do it , but it aint working. The action on the gun has slowed down in very cold temps, and this is the only place I cant get cleaned besides just running break cleaner down threw plunger end of the tube,like I've already done. The action works good in warm temps , without oil on it ,but slows down in the cold , so Im thinking I still have some old oil or sludge in it , that is slowing it down in the cold. Thanks for any help.

i guess this isent an anser to your question but i have a simmiler problem with my m2 it is starting to jam in the cold weather well the shells are ejecting good but they are jaming coming up the elevator i also cleaned everything but the recoil spring good luck

I am in the EXACT same boat!! I have tried and tried to remove the nut on my recoil spring assembly (on my SBE 1).... with NO luck. I have heated it multiple times (thoroughly). I am now soaking that part of the assembly in a penetrating oil in case the nut is rusted on.

Can anyone help us??!!

Spoon, I gave up after several attempts tonight.I tried the heatgun, didnt work. The reason I wanted mine out was I had already tried carb. cleaner and break cleaner , puting it in from the top side . I depressed the plunger and kept sloshin it in while workin the plunger with a cleanin rod. Well that was last week. It seemed to work till I took it back out in the cold. It helped but still was acting slow. So tonight I cleaned the whole thing with break free, doing the plunger depress deal again. It now feels like a brand new one. I have two sbe 1 , their brothers. I think my problem started when the rem oil I was using got too thick and started to sludge them up. No more rem oil for me. Watching real close when cleaning with the breakfree and brush I could see it taking off a real light sludge that the break cleaner was missing. Ill know in a week if she'll work out in the cold conditions. But both guns now feel like new ones

I am having the same problem with my sbe 1. I mean I have hunted it real hard, and thought it was getting cleaned good but the action is slow and it is not ejecting spent shells. What is the name of the break free stuff you are using? I called benelli and they said they could have a gun smith look at it and determine if it would be covered under warranty, but thats a 6 week turn around and I have to cover S&H costs.

One more question when you say you are heating the nut, are you heating the piston or the actual nut itself. Because I can't get it to budge either.

You would think you spend that kind of money on a firearm, they could have a benelli gun smith or two on this forum to reply to some questions!

I basically heated it at the contact point , where the nut and tube meet. Actually heating the tube should expand the tube and let the nut come out. But I didnt want to tear anything up, so I quit and just cleaned it through the plunger end. We are in the middle of waterfowl season so I don't want any major gun problem. I let ya know tomorrow if the break free was the ticket or not.

Break free clp is my best friend now! Cleaned both guns with it, shot 3 boxes of 3.5 steel through them today.... shot just like new guns... cycled fast . Temperature this morning was 25 with 30 mph winds.. wind chill 13. And they both cycled like it was a 80 degree day. I cleaned both recoil springs through the plunger end and it solved all problems. Big problem for the ducks and geese! ....... Just say no to rem oil......