Carriercomp M4 Full Length Spring Review

Duggan

I just received my full length M4 spring from Kip at Carriercomp. I placed the order 3 days ago.

It is the item seen and available here:

http://www.shop.carriercomp.com/category.sc?categoryId=5

My initial thought upon taking the spring out of the packaging was "wow, this thing is long!". Sure enough, it is a full 9-10 inches longer than my old, "standard length", 10,500+ rounds of abuse compressed spring. My old spring never failed me, but I figured it was time to replace the weak link in the weapon before it became an issue.

Onto the pics ...

Spring01ttext.jpg

As you can see, quite a bit longer ... the bend in the spring is just from being shipped twisted over a few times, I'm sure it will straighten out with use and will not be an issue.

I counted the number of "coils" ... the number of complete 360 degree twists of the spring.

The factory +5 spring has 47 coils.

The carriercomp +7 has 56.5 coils.

Some of these extra coils are obviously due to the increased length, but some are also due to the additional number of "stabilizing" coils at the ends of the spring compared to the factory +5 spring.

I also took a closeup of the differences between the ends of the two springs ...

Spring02.jpg

The Carriercomp +7 spring has a few more coils on the end of it. This would appear to be an improvement on the design, as it would perhaps help the stabilize the spring.

The spring seems to be of top notch quality, which is what you would expect from a spring made by Wolff. I don't know if it's chrome silicon or what the material is, but it is very smooth and springy, much more springy than the factory +5 spring, inch for inch. When the extra springiness of the carriercomp spring per inch is multiplied by the additional 10 inches of spring, it would seem to be a "extra power" spring indeed.

I put the spring into the tube ... it makes a much more scratchy noise than the factory one while being compressed. This is likely due to being unoiled, and much greater tension of the increased power spring against the tube walls. I will see if this noise is changed by oil and load/unload repetitions. Either way, not an issue, just something I noticed.

I notice that when 7 rounds are loaded into the tube, the last round just BARELY makes it in. We are talking a few millimeters of play room, but noticeably less play room than with the factory +5 spring. I guess this is to be expected from a spring with nearly 10 additional coils.

Overall, it looks to be a great spring and a great upgrade. There has been lots of issues and questions lately surrounding what spring is needed for an M4 with a +7 full length tube ... this spring may well be the answer to those questions.

Further tests to come, obviously I haven't gotten to function test and shoot with it yet, but I will soon.

For now, thanks Kip and Carriercomp for what looks to be a great addition to the M4 market!

Edit:I just found out the hard way ... DO NOT perform load tests on the spring without reassembling the gun, or at least putting the barrel retaining cap back onto the end of the tube. I forgot all about it, and just blew the snap ring spring retainer and spring across the room. It caused quite a ruckus.

Edited by Duggan

I know I bought 2 of the so called 7 shot Benelli springs from eGunparts.com and the springs were incredibly hard to get in and they did NOT allow the 7th shell (2.75") in. In short, the springs are too long. This spring sounds well constructed, but too long as well. You are going to have problems if the shells are that close to not going in because different 2.75" shell have slightly different OAL's. Carriercomp is going to end up having to back off on the length.

Also, for a combat gun, you don't want the reloads to be that hard to insert. I don't know about you guys, but my factory spring works just fine. I do, however, wish I could get a chrome silicon or a SS Spring just a little longer than the factory spring.

I bet if you took a Marine Corp M4 1014 and measured the spring, it would be the size of the so-called 5 shot spring. I bet that the 5 shot spring is really a 7 shot spring. Remember these 11707's have to be imported in a non standard config because of 922r. Which, I firmly believe, is strictly an import law and doesn't apply once your gun is already over here. That's just my personal opinion and I'm not a lawyer, so do what you want.

Guest cleefurd

WOW! Thanks Duggan. Very objective, please accept my gratitude for your candor. All that carries much more weight coming from someone else. Johnnywitt nailed it too. We took an assortment of the longest shells (2-3/4") we could find, gleaned from data and a milk crate full of odd-balls left over from years of outings, took the longest specimens, and wound up with the numbers for these springs we offer. The beauty of too many "end coils" for any encounters with a limit problem, is you can always trim a coil or two off at each end, and wind up with an extra 4 mm. Subscribing to the theory that it's easier to take a few off, than to add a few back (wire dia is just a gnat's *** over 1mm in dia.). As far as it being hard to load... not any harder than an actual USMC's spring. Don't recall the part # but it DOES exist, and has the same coil count as ours (I worked in 29 Palms MTU and Quantico's Calvin A. Lloyd PWS so I got a head start on the math... cheating I know:p) but it is still the inferior wire material, and tighter spacing (fewer end coils on the USMC version too) The main reason we went to the limit was to afford good remaining rate when broken in, as well as being compatible with our 8th round extender nut (whole other post).

Edited by cleefurd

Guest cleefurd
Also, for a combat gun, you don't want the reloads to be that hard to insert. I don't know about you guys, but my factory spring works just fine. I do, however, wish I could get a chrome silicon or a SS Spring just a little longer than the factory spring.

I bet if you took a Marine Corp M4 1014 and measured the spring, it would be the size of the so-called 5 shot spring. I bet that the 5 shot spring is really a 7 shot spring. Remember these 11707's have to be imported in a non standard config because of 922r. Which, I firmly believe, is strictly an import law and doesn't apply once your gun is already over here. That's just my personal opinion and I'm not a lawyer, so do what you want.

The MC's M4 1014 spring is much longer than the 11707's I promise, and the "eGunparts" spring I examined was 40"(yes too long), a full 7" longer than the "carriercomp" upgrade...

It might just be me, but my perception is; loading the last round feels the same for;

the 5th (last) round going into the OEM "short" tube w/ OEM spring

as

the 7th (last) round going into the 7rd tube w/ this post's spring

Maybe Duggan could comment on that since I could be prejudiced.

Edited by cleefurd

Absolutely.

I didn't say it was hard to load the last shell, in that it required additional force to shove it into the tube compared to the others. It doesn't. It's just that once inside, it has considerably less "play" room than before, aka additional length it can be pushed in.

I agree 100% that the 7th round with this tube and spring feels the same as the 5th round on the smaller tube.

The last round is always going to be the hardest, but it's still quite easy to get the last round in.

As always, the last round just mandates proper loading technique and force (thumb perpendicular to the receiver, I've covered this before in my "avoiding benelli thumb" posts) moreso than the previous rounds, as it takes a bit more pressure than the first rounds.

But yes, I agree entirely with your green text above. Loading the 7th shell with this spring feels as it should, it's just a tighter fit once inside. I see you did your homework concerning variations in shell width, and since you used the largest shell you could find, I'm pretty confident there won't be any issues, unless someone somehow finds a freakishly large 2.75 shell batch.

I'll try to get out and shoot some this weekend.

Well, I'm happy that I was WRONG about the Carriercomp/Wolff Spring. I should have known because every Wolff Spring that I have ever purchased was first rate. I was shooting from the hip just looking at the picture and the Carriercomp Spring LOOKED about the same length as the worthless so-called Benelli extended 7 shot Factory Springs that I got from eGunparts/Numrich's.

Cleefurd, I am looking forward to buying a Ti Magtube and Spring, along with a 8th rd Ext. (when they become available) I'm glad you people are stepping up to the plate for the 11707 owners.

Cleefurd, are you Guys going to, for sure, make a Collapsible Stock (Skeleton Stock) for the 11707/M4? I don't need one but many others do. I understand that even LEO's are having procurement issues for these stocks.

Edited by johnnywitt

Guest cleefurd

Cleefurd, I am looking forward to buying a Ti Magtube and Spring, along with a 8th rd Ext. (when they become available) I'm glad you people are stepping up to the plate for the 11707 owners.

Cleefurd, are you Guys going to, for sure, make a Collapsible Stock (Skeleton Stock) for the 11707/M4? I don't need one but many others do. I understand that even LEO's are having procurement issues for these stocks.

Thank "You johnnywitt;98856" for your inquiry as well as your honest opinions.

The OEM parts for the Benelli collapsible stocks arrived Friday Jan 8. There may be a few issues completing 9 of the 20 pistolgrip sections, but the other 11 received are already "gun-ready":). The "9 with issues" are new in sealed bag as well, but of a different order code which was "sans" the internals(nut/washer/washer block/block retention pin). ALL 20 are new in the sealed bag from Benelli. Those little pieces MAY be difficult to source since at least one, if not all 4 of those items are collapsible stock specific, and may be hard to justify direct from Benelli. I may be able to snooker their suppy chain, although it is difficult since the expense MUST be paid by me and not the taxpayer.... hence "snooker".

The OEM Benelli cheek pieces we received are brand new never installed, but were shipped in typical Benelli fashion for group replacement furniture.... all stuffed into a large freezer bag to gently burnish each other in transit (grrrrr). Not a significant blemish, just avoidable if they had cared. That is where it is at, as you can see, in progress, and not an empty claim.

Remember these will have all Benelli furniture, with the skeletonized metal portion being a Titanium USA made replacement manufactured by "carriercomp" to the highest standards. They will be documented during the manufacturing stages, on a web page that will be linked to our store, but we WON'T be accepting the gracious offers for pre-payments. Sorry, it is just that we are swamped, and would not want the resultant pressure to rush the job having customer's monies in hand. Prior to completion we will post an ETA, and list them accordingly. We are making the project public knowledge to guage demand, in consideration for a much larger run's justification.

Edited by cleefurd

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am currently in the market for a FL tube for my new M4 and read about the CarrierComp tube and Spring in this thread, and it looks nice, Duggan!

I have also read about the SOCOM guy tube, and was looking for input as to which to go with, SOCOM Guy ro Carrier Comp. Please feel free to use my New Post "Looking for SOCOM guy Mag Tube" in the Benelli Forum (sorry, I have under 5 posts and cant provide a direct link...:().

Thanks so much!

It's amazing how much you can learn so quickly by reading these threads!!!! Looks like I'll be getting a Carriercomp tube....oh what finish to get???!!! :D

There really is only 2 finishes to choose from if you want a "finished" tube ... the other 2 I don't know why you would buy, unless you wanted to finish them yourself or something.

So what it comes down to is ... is your m4 black, or is it tan? :)

Guest cleefurd

I apologize for that Marco, we got our heads spun around trying to figure out how to get the SSL certs, Quick Book Web Integration, online store functionality for shopping cart, all to play well together. Thought about living off the land about half way through. Technology is worse on my nerves than a grizzly gnawing on my foot here and there. Orders for springs can be placed in the new store (link in the signature below). We won't be shipping until we return from the Annual Shot Show which ends this Sunday. Thanks for asking though, much appreciated and yes we have plenty, no worries about missing out.

Oh BTW check this out just for fun, be sure and read the captions in the "Marine Corps Days" album if you haven't alrady seen it. There are 3 albums, we'll be adding many photos in the coming months.

http://photos.carriercomp.com/GalleryFilmstrip.aspx?gallery=157835

Link to store for the springs(same as below in signature)

www.shop.carriercomp.com

Edited by cleefurd

• 2 weeks later...
The main reason we went to the limit was to afford good remaining rate when broken in, as well as being compatible with our 8th round extender nut (whole other post).

Okay, so where is the whole other post?? :) The only thing I can find on the website is a similar reference, but no more info. Got pics? Cost? Availability?

• 5 months later...

Just wondering if anyone's experienced reduced spring tension from keeping the mag tube loaded over a long period of time ( more than 1 month)

I like to keep my HD shotgun loaded just in case. One problem which I can foresee is FTL cos' of a lame mag spring. Anyone got this problem so far?

Just wondering if anyone's experienced reduced spring tension from keeping the mag tube loaded over a long period of time ( more than 1 month)

I like to keep my HD shotgun loaded just in case. One problem which I can foresee is FTL cos' of a lame mag spring. Anyone got this problem so far?

Won't happen.

It is a non issue with quality spring wire, such as the wire used in this spring and most others.

Also, some 'experts' suggest not loading the magazine all the way as this will further compress the mag spring and reduce the spring tension. A few of the pistol forums have this suggestion because of problems with FTLs. The advice that these 'experts' are dishing out is that to keep the firearm loaded -1 rds so as not to exert to much force on the mag spring.

Any logic / truth to this?

• 10 months later...