question on ported chokes

c10250

So I purchased a PORTED extended range patternmaster for my SBEII. The guys I were hunting with said my gun is now a lot louder. :mad:

Ugh. Is this a myth? I could understand that NON-PORTED chokes may be quieter, but I can't see a PORTED choke making your gun louder.

Anyone want a slightly-used patternmaster . . . cheap.

http://patternmaster.com/12ga-benelli-m1-sbe-nova-beretta-mobilchoke-franchi-stoeger-extended-black-ported/

Patternmaster extended chokes are designed to be used with the 3 1/2" shells for maximum pattern and density. The difference between the Patternmaster Extended chokes and Patternmaster Standard/Long Range is the length the tube sticks out the barrel. Patternmaster concept is that the "studs" inside the choke grabs the base of the wad as it passes through while the front of the wad is flush with the front of the tube. Since the wad is longer in the 3 1/2" shells we have made the tube longer to maintain a tight, dense pattern. This tube can be used with 3" or 2 3/4" shells also for a tight dense pattern. Interchanges with:Benelli, Beretta, Benelli Nova, Beretta Mobilchoke, Benelli SBE, Benelli M1, and Benelli M4 to name a few

Sorry, I thought it was the long range one. I don't need one for 3 1/2" shells[/quote

Based on the way the wad retarding chokes work, I think Mike See at Paternmaster would tell you that the patterns for 2 3/4" shells and 3" shells out of the extended range tube will be about the same as for the long range tube. He would also tell you, I think, that If you shoot a 3 1/2" shell out of a long range tube it will throw a more open pattern than out of an extended range tube.

if it took your hunting buddies to tell you that your gun was louder then I dont see what the problem is...if you are not bothered and you see good patterns out of the ported choke I dont see why you shouldnt keep it. Afterall even with a non-ported choke its not like you shooting your gun was any big secret to anyone within 100 yards anyway. So if it were me and my hunting buddies said my gun was louder I would reply with a wow it must be working better then! :-)