Jamming question????

dutchman

Last March I bought a new SBE2. After the initial break-in period it began jamming.The shells will catch on the brass(folding it back) and not fully load. This holds true for all loads across the board.The shells will catch if hand loaded or while being cycled. This is becoming more and more recurring. Other than that the gun is great! Anybody got any ideas?

sounds like it needs to go back to the factory. call customer service. i did; my brand new sbeii went back & they changed a few parts & adjusted a few. turn around time was roughly 1 1/2 months - joy, joy.

ps - there's an unwritten rule on this forum - you are not supposed to speak of problems with benelli - totally ridiculous (at least to me). i'm more about true customer education & experience. thanks

Thanks thats what i will probably do. Also no disrespect to Benelli. I love my gun and I am considering buying a 20ga.just for clays. This just happened to be my first Benelli and I didn't know if this might be something I was doing wrong or maybe there is a quick fix. Thanks

sepp,

I clean and lubricate all my guns religously after every use. Not just a wipe down, a break down. As for the begining of the problem. Yes it happened initially once or twice. I passed it of to cheap loads. Shortly after that I shot clays with the gun and it hung maybe 4 or 5 shells out of 8 boxes. The more I use the gun the more shells it will hang. Now it probably averages 2 out of every 10 rounds. thanks for the response.

I'm definitely no expert and there are much more Benelli knowledgable folks on this board than me.

I can come up with 3 reasons off the top of my head why the shotgun may not be chambering rounds:

1. Dirty or weak recoil spring

2. Not enough or too much lubrication causing the bolt to hang up

3. Out of spec receiver, bolt body or chamber

Apparently, the ammo is not the problem cause I assume you've used several different brands.

You might want to just call Benelli and ask them about the situation.

Could it be the recoil spring in your stock doesn't have the power to reliably seat the round in the chamber? In other words, the next time it hangs up, see how much force it takes for you to manually push the bolt handle forward to fully chamber the round.

Prairiedog:

I took the gun a few days ago back to the store where I bought it. They tried that trick and the shell seated in the barrel correctly. They were set beside themselves as why it would do such. I had some of the shells that had ben fouled and we got it to jam again while loading. We decided that the best thing to do was to send it off and that is what we did. When I get it back and find out what the deal is I will post it on the site. I appreciate all the help. Thanks

• 1 year later...

I have sent my gun into Benelli and the problem still exists.

After getting the gun back, I shot a round of skeet with no problems. I shot a box of shells the first 3 days of duck season with no problems. Shot a box or so the next 3 days and ruined probably a dozen shells when they hung entering the chamber and bent the metal on the head of the hulls.

I swapped the bolt mechanism out with a friends Benelli SBE I and had the same problem.

I think this has to be a problem with the barrel.

I'm at a loss. Its now in the middle of duck season and I'm screwed. Exasperated.

Is this with a certain manufacturers shell or all manufacturers? They have been known to have issues with brass that is deformed on the corners and certain manufacturers were having issues with this manufacturing issue but any shotgun can have problems but i would not settle for less than a functional firearm from no matter who manufactured it! i feel Benelli should feel the same and they need to fix your issue, if it's not a shell issue! Send it back!!

Based on the previous writer's problems being identical to what I am experiencing, I'm obviously not the first to experience this.

Does anyone from Benelli read these threads and respond to these kinds of problems through the forum?

If so, I'd sure appreciate a suggestion that might be a quick fix for a local gunsmith.

I am in no position to send this back to Benelli during the second week of duck season.

Thanks!

First Italian Shotgun i suspect, getting anything fixed during season is no fun and understand your frustration but all you are going to do is get more frustrated and not too many Benelli CS folk read too many post to trouble shoot problems over the internet! I agree that would make since but never seen anyone get CS help from this forum from Benelli CS an i have been around here for some time! The even mention to not post these type of questions here and to call them from your duck blind if you have a signal! If you would post up the answers to my questions someone might respond to reasons that you might be having malfunctions. Could be as simple as the shells you are using but then again it could be mechanical issues? I suppose you cleaned the shotgun and used some quality synthetic lube in the appropriate places? Hope no remoil was involved in the lubrication process!

Thanks for the feed back. I've cleaned the gun -without remoil but with the oil I received with the gun. The shells have been Winchester, Remington, and Kent, Federal, and BlackCloud and they all do this.

I'll try and take a picture of this and post what this does to the shell and what it looks like hung up in the chamber.

The problem seems to get worse the more it's shot. Maybe I'm missing something when I'm cleaning it?

Hey Dutch, I had the problem occur as well on me this year during deer opener, on 2 seperate occasions the shotgun slug would get caught in the bottom on the metal rim portion then you had to use quite abit of force (to the point I was worried about losing a finger/fingernail) to shove the shell all the way in, it seemed to do it only when inserting the ammo (Winchester Supreme 2 3/4 1oz) slowly though I noticed...could this be a manufacturing issue/recall?

Any others out there?