The safety has to be in "fire" postion to cock my SBE II

dbrietzke

Guest cleefurd

This may be more difficult to explain than demonstrate, but as I recall, if you fire and have a FTE with the spent casing in the chamber, and one on the elevator, place the gun on safe, hit the shell release button, then the resulting traffic jam will cause difficulties. I never really delved into the associated culprit, but suspect the safety is interupting something somehow. Wish I had a more comprehensive reply, but just wanted to convey that I have seen this on an "as issued M4" when shooting straight down from a roof-top in combat excercises, after which the bolt failed to cycle sufficiently to eject (FTE), and once placed on safe, it would not fully retract. Once it was taken off safe and the spent casing was successfully clear, and firearm cocked, it would cycle as required, including successful manual cycling when on safe. I believe the elevator resets when it cycles up/down, and the culpable spent casing prevented the proper reset, yet the safety can still be applied (possibly irrelevant). Guess I should try and duplicate it manually in order to see cause, since it is definitely not due to any defect that I know of, and neither gun mentioned has any trigger, bolt release, or action mods of any type.

Edited by cleefurd

Guest cleefurd

OK. Update. Any time the hammer is forward, and the firearm is placed on safe, full rearward travel of the bolt under is impossible on mine too. Once cocked it will cycle manually w/o a hitch whether on safe or not. It would seem the safety does interfere with charging if the hammer is forward. Many wpn systems remedial action scenarios call for safety to be applied before attempting to charge/cycle the bolt... different mechanisms.

The easiest way to fix the situation described above is to remove barrel and upper receiver.

I don't think that's what you have, since you made no mention of it jamming, but if it is then proceed accordingly.

If you have had the trigger group out, make sure it is reinserted properly.

The bolt release lever must be depressed so that it catches behind the arm on the trigger group.

Benelli-release.jpg

Guest cleefurd

Edit, after taking my trigger group out, I also noted the hammer will not thumb cock when on safe as the trigger is hindered from moving out of the way of the hammer's hook during it's rearward arc of motion, I suspect this could be corrected with a slight mod to the colliding surfaces, but I have not looked at it long enough to tell if that would affect the functionality of the "safe" mode. Seems perilous since allowing them to pass in one direction, might well eliminate the prevention of doing so in the other direction (firing) when on safe.

Guest cleefurd
The easiest way to fix the situation described above is to remove barrel and upper receiver.

I don't think that's what you have, since you made no mention of it jamming, but if it is then proceed accordingly.

If you have had the trigger group out, make sure it is reinserted properly.

The bolt release lever must be depressed so that it catches behind the arm on the trigger group.

Benelli-release.jpg

If Tucker worked in Benelli CS, I suspect our 1-1/2 month response times would improve abruptly.

well, i took my trigger assembly out of my gun, and i found what cleefurd stated. When put on "safe" before the hammer is cocked, the trigger hook will not move out of the way of the hammer hook allowing the hammer to be latched. When taken off safety, the trigger moves enough to allow the hammer hook to pass and then latching, holding the hammer down. So, is this a malfunction or "feature". I am tempted to call it a feature. The safety is not allowing the trigger to move. Opinions?????