benelli Ultralight loose chokes

RabbitSlayer

Mine seem to loosen up too. I shoot a (new) Montefeltro Silver 20 gauge. I bought some new Briley extended and ported chokes and got a Briley wrench in the deal as well. I was able to put a little more torque on the choke with the Briley wrench. I shot two or so boxes through it dove hunting in the South Zone of Texas last week... still tight. Then the second day of hunting, it loosened. I don't know the answer, except maybe torque it down occasionally? Look at: Briley.com to see the wrench... I think it's pretty good. It gives you more leverage and works with the supplied chokes that come with the Benelli as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me say something here on this. I am a small manufacturer of shotgun chokes (http://www.blackborechokes.com) and I have shot (and own a few) all types of shotguns with screw-in chokes.

ANY manufacturers flush or screw-in choke will, sooner or later, shoot loose no matter how much you put the wrench to it! I always recommend using a good thread grease on the threads when installing the tubes. When you clean the gun, be sure to remove the lubricant as best you can as well.

You might cultivate the habit of reaching up to the choke after a typical shooting interval and tighten them down by hand (of course, make sure the gun is not loaded and on Safe). If you really torque them in with the choke wrench, it will just be that much harder to get them out (and the possibility of damaging the internal threads of the barrel.

GTPSC

I haven't noticed this on mine, but I've had it for only a couple of months. I do have a habit of always checking the choke regularly on all of my shotguns, and doing mid-day tweaks in the field. But have never noticed a loose choke.

Are you noticing this often? For example after only a few shots or at the end of a long weekend of hunting?

The M4 choke has a tendency to back out a slight bit also, so it's part of the spin-up routine to tighten it down. Never owned a choked shotgun that didn't need it once in awhile.

Mg

GTPSC - I visited your sight and read up on your chokes and your thoughts on patterning, very well thought out, I'd like to try some for my 686!

Edited by Mike Grasso

Mike, does your 686 have the Beretta Optima or Mobilechoke? If you are not sure, the "shank" (that portion that is in the barrel when the choke is fully screwed into the barrel) of the Optima is about 2-3/4" long while the Mobilechoke is about 2" long. Also, what constrictions are you interested in? The finishes available are either bright stainless or matt bead blast.

GTPSC