Is a sidesaddle really necessary (for HD)?

shotgunNoob

Hey all...

For those of you who dont know, I currently have a Mesa Tactical SureShell (4 shot) sidesaddle mounted on my SNT. Now, while I love the look of it and can see some advantages of having this item installed on the weapon (its mainly for HD), I have grown increasingly concerned about stripping the threads of the aluminum receiver (given relatively heavy range use). Id almost just prefer to remove this thing and save myself any possible probs in the future, given that this is my only shotty.

I should also mention that I currently have a +2 mag extension, so I generally tend to keep 4 to 5 rounds in the tube. Im thinking this should be quite enough, barring some type of "zombie" fest. So, any thoughts? Im sure this might be a ridiculous and certainly, a very subjective topic. However, given the HD nature of this weapon, I was curious to see what others felt about the necessary/unnecessary application of sidesaddles where HD is of primary concern.

Thx in advance for any replies.

Hey all...

For those of you who dont know, I currently have a Mesa Tactical SureShell (4 shot) sidesaddle mounted on my SNT. Now, while I love the look of it and can see some advantages of having this item installed on the weapon (its mainly for HD), I have grown increasingly concerned about stripping the threads of the aluminum receiver (given relatively heavy range use). Id almost just prefer to remove this thing and save myself any possible probs in the future, given that this is my only shotty.

I should also mention that I currently have a +2 mag extension, so I generally tend to keep 4 to 5 rounds in the tube. Im thinking this should be quite enough, barring some type of "zombie" fest. So, any thoughts? Im sure this might be a ridiculous and certainly, a very subjective topic. However, given the HD nature of this weapon, I was curious to see what others felt about the necessary/unnecessary application of sidesaddles where HD is of primary concern.

Thx in advance for any replies.

I think if you can't get them with the first or second shot your screwed anyway. I say take it off. Just my opinon

I have a 6 shot black nylon type sidesaddle that mounts to my stock with velcro on my M4. It is my HD and range fun toy. The reason I like the extra shells is that with the local increase in home invasions here in Phoenix its always seems to be 3-4+ assailants.The benelfit of having it on the stock is great as it wont strip or fade your reciever and does not nearly throw off the balance of the gun like one mounted on a reciever. I got mine for like 15 bucks at a local gunshow and really like it.

I have a 6 shot black nylon type sidesaddle that mounts to my stock with velcro on my M4. It is my HD and range fun toy.

Actually, I have considered getting such an item for my SNT. Im assuming that most out there would work just fine with the Suregrip (pistol grip) stock. Ive been looking at the Blackhawk carriers, but they seem a bit expensive and bulky. But, its a good idea nonetheless.

I have a 6 shot black nylon type sidesaddle that mounts to my stock with velcro on my M4. It is my HD and range fun toy. The reason I like the extra shells is that with the local increase in home invasions here in Phoenix its always seems to be 3-4+ assailants.The benelfit of having it on the stock is great as it wont strip or fade your reciever and does not nearly throw off the balance of the gun like one mounted on a reciever. I got mine for like 15 bucks at a local gunshow and really like it.

I agree!! More and more the thugs are standing up and shooting it out with LEO's, whom they KNOW are heavily armed. So what would be the chance of them standing there ground against a homeowner, who may not be trained, OR WILLING to stop the thugs NOW!!

Just my opinion.

I agree!! More and more the thugs are standing up and shooting it out with LEO's, whom they KNOW are heavily armed. So what would be the chance of them standing there ground against a homeowner, who may not be trained, OR WILLING to stop the thugs NOW!!

Just my opinion.

You may be right. However, I think the "mindset" of a criminal dealing with an LE confrontation might be somewhat different vs a confrontation with an armed homeowner. After all, personal vendettas aside, Im sure most criminal types would not find that getting shot or killed over say, money or goods, to be a risk worth taking.

Either way, Id still like to keep extra ammo on the gun. Im just not sure if the risk of damaging the weapon (using a sidesaddle) is worth it. So, a fabric-type stock carrier might be what I end up going with...even though it certainly doesnt look as "tacticool".;)

Most people ( including me) aren't going to be able to reload during a firefight. Not very many people put the time in at the range to make it a perfect habit. Plus, just because you can reload at the range, doesn't get you up for par for the real thing.

Experts say you will use what is in and on the gun.Thats true, If you an expert. Chances are you will be fine with what you have in the gun.

Novaking

I've never understood why you would want or need a side saddle.

More ammo, I know ... but if you're worried about that, keep your gun loaded with 8 or 9 shells ... do you anticipate having to use more than that during a home defense encounter?

I dunno, it's just not worth the extra weight/balance thrown off to have a few extra rounds stuck to my gun, IMO.

Some people like them, some don't. Try it out if you're unsure.

If you're looking for way to carry some extra shells but don't want them on your weapon, another option is a belt mounted tactical stripper.

Here is an article on a couple of makes:

www.americancopmagazine.com/Carry0508.htm

And a vid of two gentlemen from the U.S. Army shooting team demonstrating speed loading techniques using both the side saddle and the tactical stripper:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU5dsnBsxXs

Edited by DMAN
Added Links

Most of the elastic band type shell holders will work OK. I use them on my 870, 1100, M-3, and a short double barrel. After a couple of years, they will have to be replaced due to the fabric / elastic deteriorating. Watch the gun catalogs, and even China-Mart, you can usually pick one up for 5 or 6 bucks.

I have a Mesa Tactical 6 shot shell holder.

It mounts in place of your stock B rail.

I love it.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I put the shells primer side down and have learned a quick reload from that position.

Maybe you should look into a 25 round ammo belt and wear it to bed, Better to have and not need than to need and not to have.