Target Ammunition for the M4

harleywood

Winchester Super X magnum 00 buck for two legged varmints..With a few 1oz. slugs for the quick one's :)

Wait a minute, gundoc. Harleywood asked about target ammo..."just for fun. Targets, clays, etc." Your 'man-killer-perscription' might be a bit too heavy in those applications. Haven't seen anyone at our ranges using these two shells on clays. Bird-shot/skeet shells might be better 'just for fun' and a lot cheaper.

Wait a minute, gundoc. Harleywood asked about target ammo..."just for fun. Targets, clays, etc." Your 'man-killer-perscription' might be a bit too heavy in those applications. Haven't seen anyone at our ranges using these two shells on clays. Bird-shot/skeet shells might be better 'just for fun' and a lot cheaper.
I was kidding about the 00 buck. But you got to try rifled slugs on a sporting clays course. Using those ghost rings really sharpens your shotgun skills. :D

All kidding aside I used Sellier & Bellot 3 1/4 dram 1 1/4 oz. game loads to break in my M4. Wallyworld Federal 100 rd packs are good also. Stay away from the cheap Winchester ammo with the cardboard /fiber wads. I have been a full time gunsmith for over 20 years. In that time I have seen countless barrels wrecked from those cardboard wads getting stuck sidways in the bore. Usually the next round fired will damage the barrel. At $700+ for a M4 barrel it isnt worth saving a few bucks when buying ammo.

All kidding aside I used Sellier & Bellot 3 1/4 dram 1 1/4 oz. game loads to break in my M4. Wallyworld Federal 100 rd packs are good also. Stay away from the cheap Winchester ammo with the cardboard /fiber wads. I have been a full time gunsmith for over 20 years. In that time I have seen countless barrels wrecked from those cardboard wads getting stuck sidways in the bore. Usually the next round fired will damage the barrel. At $700+ for a M4 barrel it isnt worth saving a few bucks when buying ammo.

Gundoc thanks for the heads up on the Winchester. I will keep to the Federal.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a couple boxes of Winchester AA ultralights lying around after the last time I took my wife clay busting (Quote from time before that: "Ow, my boob". Yes, we worked on her technique but I also picked up the ultralights as a magic feather). They cycled just fine and as fast as I could pull the trigger.

:confused:

Stay away from the cheap Winchester ammo with the cardboard /fiber wads. I have been a full time gunsmith for over 20 years. In that time I have seen countless barrels wrecked from those cardboard wads getting stuck sidways in the bore.
That's one I haven't heard of! 20 years of wrecking barrels?

Which Winchester 12 gauge ammo are you referring to?

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotshell.aspx