SBE II Recoil

Sullybr549

O boy i will feel sorry fore the first person to disagree im not even that stupid .:rolleyes: i bet there are 10 people ready to attack him or her ,all i will say is i shot the browning gold fore a year and my m2 fore the past year it must be in my head ,they just proved me wrong i guess , and i do love my benelli m2 im not a hater i just had an opinion

A couple weeks ago seven of us compared the recoil between a Browning Gold Hunter, SBE II, and Citori all three chambered in 3 1/2 inch.

I posted the results in the ShotgunWorld forum. Although I foolishly left the sling and swivels on the Browning Gold which made it even heavier, six of us thought the Gold had the least recoil using 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch shells. All seven of us thought the Gold had the least recoil using 3 1/2 roman candles.

That little test convinced me felt recoil is different than measured recoil. The Benelli video results may be technically correct but our shoulders disagreed.

BTW, I shoot a SBE II and I'm not a Benelli hater.

Felt recoil is a very subjective issue. I'm not sure there's a foolproof method of measuring it.

The problem with the blindfolded approach is you can still tell which shotgun you're firing. An SBE II feels much different than the Gold and the Citori. The forearm and stock shape give them all away. It only took me and six other guys one 3 1/2 incher from each gun to tell the difference. It was that noticeable.

I had some extra rounds leftover and two of the shooters tried it again with the 3 1/2 inchers and they didn't change their minds.

If you read through this Benelli forum you'll find I'm not the only one who believes this. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the SBE II recoil is abusive. In fact, it is still my favorite auto shotgun but as a result of all this, I am considering buying a gas gun. I guess I just wanna see how the other side lives...

Did anyone else notice the bruise on the Benelli president's cheek?

He must have tried out that Browning Gold in the video. :D

moretti-bruised.jpg

Did anyone else notice the bruise on the Benelli president's cheek?

He must have tried out that Browning Gold in the video.

After a full Magnaport job on my Browning BPS the muzzle jump was all but eliminated, but now I can't shoot 3 1/2" turkey loads because it slams into my heek so bad.

I have an SBEII with a non comfort-tech black synthetic that kicked like a mule with the factory recoil pad on it. The pad that was on the gun appears to be the same pad that is used on the wood stock models. The problem was easily solved by purchasing a Sims pad from Tom Knapp's website. With the Sims pad installed recoil is now a non issue. Wished the factory would have put a good pad on the gun to begin with.

I had the same problem with a 20 ga Montefeltro. Kicked hard until I replaced the factory pad with a limb saver.

Just picked up a SBEII Comfortech. Shot it for the first time today. 3.5" steel loads kick like a mule, very impressive. However, my #2 and #4 steel duck loads give noticeably less recoil than my old M1 and trap loads are a breeze. Very,very nice shot gun.

I patterned the gun with IC and Mod crio chokes at 22 and 32 yards. The crio chokes give beautiful patterns with both steel and lead. The gun shoots straight and fits me perfectly right out of the box. No problem at all cycling 2 3/4 inch, 1&1/8 oz, 7.5 shot, trap/skeet loads after just 6 3.5" steel and 9 3" steel loads cycled through the gun. However, I did disassemble the gun completely last night including removing the recoil spring (which was coated with a heavy grease!!!) and oiled it with Benelli oil before I fired it the first time .

Edited by BlackDogs3