Dave's Metal Works= GARBAGE

I'll agree with that. Look at the second picture.( the bad one) It looks cross theaded to me. I'm trying to figure out where the blame belongs to.

Trust me it isn't cross threaded.

I was able to install one fine.

What makes you think I couldn't do it twice apart from

defects?

Whoa! May I kindly inquire....?

Are you one of those individuals that hates paying $70 for a $5 chunk of aluminum?? If so then ask for $5 worth of aluminum MINUS the machine costs, skilled CNC operator's pay, programming time, R & D recooperation, complex hard coat anodizing handling fees, packaging and shipping clerk's wages, shipping and receiving's time, advertizing/promotion expenses, Midaway's cut, deburring, the QC manager's wages to screen every single facet of each component, capitol gains tax, and a little on top to furnish insurance for little Suzie's braces and Junior's new glove. $70 is a bargain for an ABOVE board tax paying AMERICAN vendor. This is not your cousin making parts just for you from left over crutches found underneath grampa's old bass boat out in the back yard. Step back and look at the big picture. You got a guarantee... use it and let us know how it works out for Pete's sake. It's starting to sound as though you despise living in an imperfect world, in spite of PERFECT customer service.

+1, $70 is dirt cheap for a full length tube of decent quality.

I wish you were around 2 or so years ago, when the only full length tubes available were custom made tubes (like mine) or factory full length tubes that went for $300-$400 on ebay/gunbroker. $70 for a tube is a joke, and you're nuts if you think it's "RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED" ... heck Carriercomp or SOCOMguy tubes are 2-3x as expensive and tons of people buy them because of the quality and workmanship. Do you think they have a 5000% profit margin on every "$5 tube" because it's technically just a hunk of cheap metal? While I'm sure they wish it was so, it simply isn't the case.

The point isn't that you had something negative to say, or that you wanted to warn others ... it's that you made a thread called "Dave's Metal Works= GARBAGE" based off of one experience that you made ZERO attempt to remedy. You may not consider that a personal attack on Dave, but it is most certainly a personal attack on his entire company over one isolated issue that he would have gladly offered to fix if you had given him half a chance.

That's why people are giving you a hard time over this. Besides that, feedback is always appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Duggan, you think like me. Garbage? Poor choice of words. Im leaning towards cross threaded myself, LOL. The man obviously hasnt been around manufacturing. I,m really suprised anything is still manufactured here,with labor prices, taxes, insurance ,legal fees. 70 bucks is very reasonable.

+1, $70 is dirt cheap for a full length tube of decent quality.

I wish you were around 2 or so years ago, when the only full length tubes available were custom made tubes (like mine) or factory full length tubes that went for $300-$400 on ebay/gunbroker. $70 for a tube is a joke, and you're nuts if you think it's "RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED" ... heck Carriercomp or SOCOMguy tubes are 2-3x as expensive and tons of people buy them because of the quality and workmanship. Do you think they have a 5000% profit margin on every "$5 tube" because it's technically just a hunk of cheap metal? While I'm sure they wish it was so, it simply isn't the case.

The point isn't that you had something negative to say, or that you wanted to warn others ... it's that you made a thread called "Dave's Metal Works= GARBAGE" based off of one experience that you made ZERO attempt to remedy. You may not consider that a personal attack on Dave, but it is most certainly a personal attack on his entire company over one isolated issue that he would have gladly offered to fix if you had given him half a chance.

That's why people are giving you a hard time over this. Besides that, feedback is always appreciated.

I have NO DUTY to ask a seller/manufacturer for his permission or a refund before I tell the world what they are putting out.

Give it a rest.

• Downvote 1

Lets face it...Regardless of where or from whom you bought an accessory (or anything for that matter) there is always a chance that something will not measure up to preconceived ideas of reliability. Ive heard of many accounts where, generally speaking, products of usually high quality fail to meet the consumers standards. This happens. I wont go into details, but (regarding weapons, for instance) Ive heard negative accounts of everything ranging from Glock to Springfield Armory to Kimber to H&K to Remington to Mossberg and even to Sig and Benelli. Keep in mind, we are now talking of very expensive weapons...some reaching past the $1500 mark or higher. This is merely scratching the surface. Ditto for weapon accessory manufacturers. Again...it happens. Does this mean that all of these manufacturers (generally accepted as producing quality products) make nothing but sh*t? Probably not....

For the most part, any manufacturer of items generally accepted as high quality will, more than likely, meet a certain standard more often times than not. But, as with ANY man-made item, things do and can go wrong. As you stated before...out of 2 items listed, one worked..the other didnt. OK...so you are looking at a 50% success/failure rate regarding your situation. Its relatively safe to assume that, should you have purchased another such item made by DMW, you would have probably received another "good" one.

Either way, I respect your opinion and certainly understand your anger. Ive been there many, many times. But, you have to look at the overall equation here, in terms of customer satisfaction. Will there be some bad eggs in the bunch? Even the best has this potential. It all comes down to trying to narrow the odds.

But, again, I understand where you are coming from. Its frustrating to expect a certain degree of quality and not receive it. Once more..Ive been there as Im sure most of us have.

In your case, think of it this way...one success out of two is better than none at all...right?

Edited by shotgunNoob

Shotgunnoob-

I see where you are coming from. However, saying what condition a part arrives in is not improper and is not an insult.

The attitude that it is seems to be prevalent in the firearms industry. Just because it is common doesn't make it right either. My money will go elsewhere.

Case in point- Kimber, as you mentioned. Did you get caught up in the whole internal/external extractor switch/recall? The same thing happened: nuthuggers came out to stone those with complaints: "You don't know how many 1911s they make. You don't know anything about tuning a 1911. You don't know anything about how XYZ is made. It needs a break in. Call Dennis, he will make it right". Ad naseum.

Customer service is a safety net for poor products. Period.

Hey, the transmission in my Chevy went out today. Should I take it to the dealer for warranty work before I tell folks online?

Edited by 12508

okay ,,okay,,confession time,,I too am a victim of the dreaded dave stuff,,,bought a mag tube once from the guy about 4-5 years ago,,luckily it at least threaded on,,the finish was horrible and sratches to boot,,went ahead and kept it cause it was the longest one he made,and I was hot to install it on my Benelli to get 11+1,,this was pre nordic componet era when it was either dave or worser,his m1014 extensions look yukky too,so there u have it ,,don't do dave or he''ll do you.

• Downvote 1

Did you get caught up in the whole internal/external extractor switch/recall?

Nah..I was merely referencing Kimber based on various opinions. However, the Sig, SA and Benelli comments I do have first hand knowledge of. Sure, every one of these had their fair share of issues. But, thanks in part to great CS, most problems have been resolved. The rest of the issues will just have to fall into the "wait and see" category. But, nevertheless, Id put these up against anything out there in terms of OVERALL satisfaction and quality.

Regardless...you have made up your mind. I respect this and shall leave it at that. Just know that you arent alone. That was my main point anyway.

Guest cleefurd
I have NO DUTY to ask a seller/manufacturer for his permission or a refund before I tell the world what they are putting out.

Give it a rest.

No one mentioned "DUTY". Yet we are "nuthuggers and idiots"

All kidding aside, it does stink to get a paperweight for hard earned $. We ALL agree on that.

Edited by cleefurd

Guest cleefurd
Yeah, around here the truth seems to be unwelcome.

Speaking of truths...? Would you post every perfect product you own, and discard any which yielded a warning from any alternate owner not as fortunate as you? Or merely endure the proof that your perfect item was but a hairs breath away from being "garbage" as well. I can't help but sense you believe that a perfect company exists, where customer service is antiquated and unnecessary. After all you DID say that "Customer service is a safety net for poor products. Period." Very pessimistic. So if I smash a Leupold sliding down a mountainside, is customer service there to help... or admit guilt? How about NEVER buying any item ever again that has a guarantee? After all, guarantees require a CS representative to handle any returns, soooo, a guarantee MUST there-fore be a bad OMEN. And NO guarantee means no customer service which = bliss. All this time we have actually been inviting our own misery..... who knew?

Edited by cleefurd

Speaking of truths...? Would you post every perfect product you own, and discard any which yielded a warning from any alternate owner not as fortunate as you? Or merely endure the proof that your perfect item was but a hairs breath away from being "garbage" as well. I can't help but sense you believe that a perfect company exists, where customer service is antiquated and unnecessary. After all you DID say that "Customer service is a safety net for poor products. Period." Very pessimistic. So if I smash a Leupold sliding down a mountainside, is customer service there to help... or admit guilt? How about NEVER buying any item ever again that has a guarantee? After all, guarantees require a CS representative to handle any returns, soooo, a guarantee MUST there-fore be a bad OMEN. And NO guarantee means no customer service which = bliss. All this time we have actually been inviting our own misery..... who knew?

Apparently asking for more than a 50% quality rate is too much around here.

Your Leupold comment is off base. There is a difference between purchasing a product that doesn't work and one that gets damaged from use.

Guest cleefurd

Leupold comment not off base; Customer service is more than a "safety net for poor products....period".

Edited by cleefurd

Guest cleefurd
Ok, ok. I will clarify-

If the product WORKS or DID WORK, then I agree.

That's fair. Either way, your Benelli deserves better. Hope you find her that OEM extension you mentioned looking for.

A friend of mine that has done very well for himself recently purchased a new Ferrari 430. This car costs a fair amount of change. He actually went to the factory where they collected his cell phone and camera from him. He watched the car being built in front of his eyes. All the mechanics sign the owners manual as the car passes by that part of fabrication. One guy starts the day building the engine from individual parts. At the end of the day the engine was completed and dyno tested. After that, it was installed in the car and the car was put through a car dyno test. He got the car back to the States and after one week, one of the valve springs had a failure. So, is this car or are the products produced by this company "garbage". Ferrari "jumped" all over the place to make sure the car was fixed. I see some similarities in these two cases. I'm not familiar with Dave's Metal Works, but he is offering to make it good. I am now aware of a problem that Ferrari had with one of their cars. I don't think I'm prepared to call them "garbage". I would certainly purchase one if I was able. Something to consider.

Are you one of those individuals that hates paying $70 for a $5 chunk of aluminum?? If so then ask for $5 worth of aluminum MINUS the machine costs, skilled CNC operator's pay, programming time, R & D recooperation, complex hard coat anodizing handling fees, packaging and shipping clerk's wages, shipping and receiving's time, advertizing/promotion expenses, Midaway's cut, deburring, the QC manager's wages to screen every single facet of each component, capitol gains tax, and a little on top to furnish insurance for little Suzie's braces and Junior's new glove.

Is this too big to include as a sig quote?

What I gleaned from this thread:

1/20/2009 Post is made about "garbage" product;

1/21/2009 Manufacturer offers to make good (no questions asked);

That, my colleagues, is Customer Service and why I'll buy from Dave's Metal Works in the future.:D

Good luck. Hopefully it work WHEN YOU GET IT.