Adjusting sights on a Nova

DaveB

I have a Nova with a 28" barrel and recently bought one of those laser boresighters to check the sighting on my guns. I put the boresighter into a Mossberg I own and found it to be spot on when I lined up over the sights. But when I loaded it into the Nova, it appeared that the sighting was off quite a bit - nearly 9 inches (up and to the right) at a distance of no more than 50 yards. Not sure what to do here. Can I radjust the sights? Should I buy one of those after-market replacement front sights and line it up differently than the factory sight? Should I just replace the whole barrel? I'm no gun expert, and any advice would really be appreciated.

You should take that one back and get one that bore sights correctly.

You should take the bore sighter to the gun shop with you.

That's what I do when I want a straight shooting shotgun. Sometimes the dealer will have to bring 6 or 7 bad ones out before we get a good one.

Good dealers will respect your knowledge and want to please you.

That's a good idea, though I can't really bring the gun back to the gun shop because I've been hunting with it for a few years. I could still use this approach when I go in to buy a new barrel, I guess, and just tell them that I want to fit the new barrel to the gun and test it with the bore sighter before I'll buy it. It sounds like I'll have to find a shop that carries a decent inventory of Benelli replacement barrels.