Trap Shooting the right way?

greenhorn

Hey folks, I have recently began Trap shooting only for the purpose of becoming a better Upland Game hunter. I do not premount the gun when I shoot. The book that I am reading states that in the USA the correct way to Trap shoot is to premount the gun. My question/concerns is: Will I upset the other shooters if I do not premount the gun? Will this effect them in anyway? Thanks for any feedback!

Mark

Hey folks, I have recently began Trap shooting only for the purpose of becoming a better Upland Game hunter. I do not premount the gun when I shoot. The book that I am reading states that in the USA the correct way to Trap shoot is to premount the gun. My question/concerns is: Will I upset the other shooters if I do not premount the gun? Will this effect them in anyway? Thanks for any feedback!

Mark

You can do what you want. It will be you at a disavantage. Not them.

• 2 weeks later...

The real disadvantage may be that your trap 'style' will not be in proper trap form to get the high trap scores.

You say you shoot trap to be a better upland game hunter, then you are correct in shooting from the low position (or stock held below the armpit prior to calling the clays). I do it all the time for exactly the reason you would. To practice for real hunting (and sporting clays).

Kinda hard to walk thru the woods , swamps , and fields with your shotgun always at your shoulder, ready to fire!

But, as others have said, pro trap shooters can be real twitchy when it come to upsetting their focus on their game. So when I shoot with them on the club ranges, I let them know I'm shooting a field gun for practice, I apologize ahead of time for my shells ejecting in their direction from my semi-auto, and I let them know that I WILL be a bit distracting to them. If they politely don't want me to shoot in their practice squad I completely understand, and will wait until I can shoot with those it doesn't bother. If they ain't polite, well ......

99% of the trap folks are great at understanding why you are shooting the way you do, and they can be super helpful when it comes to advice! I've only had 1 group object to my ways, and they were nice about it.

We have a huge amount of rough and tumble duck hunters in my area who like to 'get the rust out' of their bones by shooting trap . These boys often look like shaved-gorillas and shoot like they were born with a shotgun. They seldom pre-mount . Their trap scores aren't always great , but man it's fun to watch them shoot at clays ... and I would love to hunt with them boys!!

Practice is just that. Do it to make yourself shoot better at your game.

Mr Slugo brings up a good perspective.

If you want to get good at trap shooting, shoot like a trap shooter.

If you want to get better at starting low gun and getting your gun shouldered and on target, practice that way.

A better venue, in this regard, might be a 5-stand or a sporting clays course if you have them available.

• 3 weeks later...