Gun Safes

harleywood

Looking for a gun safe. Don't need a lot of storage, just 3 or 4 shotguns and a couple of hand guns. What do you guys recommend?

Check out SAM's Wholesale Club, they carry a Winchester or Remington "Name brand" that is fire and security rated, and is really resonable, and looks good.

guess its been acouple of years,,I can remember when I had to choose between another Benelli or a safe,,got the safe and very happy with it,,the name brand is LIBERTY,,yes bolt it to the floor,

Yes, I can relate to that..........I ordered a 2009 Liberty Lincoln 25 about a week ago.

John

HIGHLY recommend them!

http://www.patriotsafe.com/

Best safe there is for the money (and even for lots more money), IMO. Superb quality! I have the closet model because I didn't have room for bigger. It's still pretty roomy considering. Also, when the military transferred me, the movers lost the keys. Patriot's customer service was outstanding! Didn't charge me for the key (which is laser cut so it's gotta cost a pretty penny), not even shipping!

When it's time to upgrade to bigger, I know for sure where I'll go...

Some of it depends on where you live. There are the big name brands but there might be a local guy to your area. Shipping isn't cheap on these things. Help the local guy if you can. Safes claim they can hold this many guns don't believe it if you want them to stay ding free. Scopes, bolt, side saddles all take up more room than their numbers mean.

Edited by cksh8me

I have this safe:

http://grizzly.com/products/G9929

It's a decent 5 gun safe -- very sturdy. Fits nicely in my closet where it is bolted to a stud. I feel like I got a good deal for the $$$.

Also, I wanted a dial lock because I wanted the safe to be 100% mechanical, but not key opening. My concern with push pad or other system that requires electricity to operate is that I still want to be able to get to my guns if TSHTF and there is no power, batteries, etc.

I have this safe:

http://grizzly.com/products/G9929

It's a decent 5 gun safe -- very sturdy. Fits nicely in my closet where it is bolted to a stud. I feel like I got a good deal for the $$$.

Also, I wanted a dial lock because I wanted the safe to be 100% mechanical, but not key opening. My concern with push pad or other system that requires electricity to operate is that I still want to be able to get to my guns if TSHTF and there is no power, batteries, etc.

On the digital lock, you have a (usually 9 volt, or a set of AA) batterys concealed within the locking assy. Mine has a "back-up" key hole hidden within the locking assy. that uses a special factory key as well. If the battery fails, I can replace the battery, or use the hidden key. Also, mine has a "permanent factory combination" as a back-up, in case your memory is like mine, you can punch it in and open the safe. I keep the "back-up" and the combo that I have selected in a safe deposit box, along with the serial number of the safe, if you ever lose the combination, send the safe manufacturer a certified letter, with a notorized statement showing the serial number proving the safe is yours, and they will send you the "permanent factory" combination. Also with the "hidden key" if you have a fire, you can open it with the key, as the keypad will be burned away, as would be a standard combo lock, and you would not have to hire a locksmith.

Edited by GENELEO
Add Info.

Check out SAM's Wholesale Club, they carry a Winchester or Remington "Name brand" that is fire and security rated, and is really resonable, and looks good.

I bought the Winchester Western Safe at Sam's last week for $623. Went there this yesterday and it was $436. I went back with my receipt and received cash back.

Nice safe, great price.

Looks like there is a 150% mark up.

I picked up my gun safe on sale at Costco.com; it goes by the name of "Executive Vault," but it's actually made by Cannon. It set me back just under $800, IIRC, including curbside delivery (though the guy who delivered it was nice enough to roll it all the way into my garage).

And as has been noted, once you have a safe, it wil fill up quite quickly. Not necessarily with guns, but I also keep a fair amount of ammunition, miscellaneous shooting gear (magazines, snap caps, eye and ear protection, etc.), important documents, etc. in mine, along with the hard cases my various pistols came in (so as not to advertise to any intruder how many I have) and the manuals to all my firearms.

I bought a BEAR safe. One thing to consider... safes with external dials- I was told that a thief will sometimes take a hammer to the dial in frustration and then you get to pay a smith to open and repair. Mine is bolted to the floor on a corner of the house & according to the salesman (if they can be beleived) the double firewall inside safe will keep my guns safe if the house burns down around it. Paid as much 10 years ago as a new SBEII costs now and the piece of mind is well worth it.