Supersport and Sport II

Brian Meckler

Today I got to handle the Sport II and my local range. I really liked the feel of the gun and I would have bought the gun right there if it wasn't ported. I was then told that all the Sport II barrels are ported. Is this true?

Are the Supersport barrels ported as well? I hope Benelli hasn't decided to foolishly port all their Clays guns without leaving the buyer an option. Porting prevents me from buying Browning guns as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Porting is really just snake oil in terms of reducing recoil. The little holes in the barrels only make the gun loud which really adds to shooter fatigue. The porting holes are also harder to clean. I like using my sporting guns for duck hunting as well. The porting would make the gun too loud for the duck blind.

a ported barrel is not THAT much louder than a non ported one. i wouldnt worry about it being too loud in the duck blind. we go with 3 or 4 people and the shots of 4 of our guns going off is surely more than a ported gun. i wouldnt worry about it being too loud for ducks. they are going to hear guns either way, whether or not it is from a ported gun i dont think it makes a difference. ;)

Nick it really is that much louder. I always wear hearing protection and I notice the Db difference right away. There has been some very strong evidence that porting is very bad in terms of damage to one's hearing. The test were conducted by ESP.

Let me pose another question, what does porting do for the shooter? Muzzle flip? hogwash

Porting, when done correctly, is a true form of reducing muzzle rise and reducing felt recoil. As I can attest to having more than a couple barrels ported. Yes - The noise is increased a bit in the sharpness 'crack' of the gun but this is what they make hearing protection for and if you're shooting anything you should be using it.. shorten the barrel of your waterfowl gun and you'll notice it in the blind too.