Storing a Benelli (or any shotgun) muzzle up or muzzle down..which is best?

shotgunNoob

I am currently in the process of setting up a new gunlock/rack (Santa Cruz) for my Benelli SNT. My first thought was to set this thing up horizonatally, but that has gone by the wayside for now.

Second thought was to store it muzzle up (with the butt of the gun roughly 3' or so off the ground). Im thinking that the usual worries of oil "damage" the buttstock would not apply here given the synthetic nature of this gun. Also, I dont believe much lube is needed to keep this gun operational and in good condition (from what I hear). Therefore, I wouldnt be quite as concerned about lube leaking down into the action. In addition, I would be laying a small "breathable" cloth (similar to a polishing cloth) over the end of the barrel, in order to minimize dust accumulation and/or bugs.

However, per another forum, I have been told numerous times that muzzle down is the way to go. Now, the only way I would be able to accomplish muzzle down storage with the Santa Cruz setup would be to purchase one of their muzzle plugs. I just dont feel comfortable plugging up the end of the barrel, based on those who propose this is just a bad idea.

Anyway, I was just curious to find out what others here thought about all of this. Thanks.

Edited by shotgunNoob

I can't imagine having a gun so dripping wet with oil that it would run, regardless of storage position.

Other than that concern, what other possible advantage could there be to store it with the muzzle down?

Most of the muzzle down guys proposed, the "gravity drain" of oil into the action/butt aside, that the weapon would be in a better position for quick acquisition given an HD situation. Thats their take on it anyway.

Edited by shotgunNoob

that the weapon would be in a better position for quick acquisition given an HD situation. Thats their take on it anyway.

Sorry but that is a bunch of in-experienced, Internet talking, I've never seen a gun battle, bunch of wanna-be's. The only quick acquisition they've had is ordering from McDonald's.

Let's think about this two ways.

First,

If you have no warning and the Bad-guy is right there, you're never making it to the closet to get it in the first place.

Second,

Do you have a plan in place that will affect the entire family, their positions in the house and the escape routes or safe areas they have practiced moving to? Your fields of fire, type of ammunition and lighting both on the gun and off, do you know the distances in your home and where the shotgun patterns at those distance? To name a few.

So that being said.

Muzzle up or down will not afford you any time difference. Will not allow you to acquire you're target any quicker. In fact you need the time to assess the situation, make sure you're entirely awake and you're family is safe. (more than once people have shot children coming home late or climbing in a window). Rule 3 and 4. Do not allow your muzzle to cover anything you're not willing to shoot and Be sure of you're target.

I speak to you with 29 years of LE experience with the second largest Police Department in the US. The number one tactical Department in the LE world. 12 of those years as the Senior Tactical Instructor at the Police Academy. Please don't let some idiot working at who knows where influence your plan when it involves the safety of your family.

Sorry about the rant, some friends at Benelli asked me to join this forum, I take that as a compliment. so I'm eager to let loose some practical knowledge.

I am always available to PM to answer questions, might take me some time when I'm out on an OP to get back, but I will.

Mike

Store it muzzle up, there is no reason or logic behind doing it any other way ... there is nice big flat buttpad on the stock end, use that to stabilize your weapon as it leans against the wall of the safe.

And no, oil drainage should not be an issue ... while you can run an m4 as wet as you want, keep in mind there is minimal benefit to oiling anodized aluminum, so unless your barrel/mag tube/BCG is REALLLLY soaked, I don't think it will be dripping down and getting onto anything.

Guest cleefurd
I can't imagine having a gun so dripping wet with oil that it would run, regardless of storage position.

Other than that concern, what other possible advantage could there be to store it with the muzzle down?

I'm sure of this;

Muzzle down was to prevent oil from reaching wood or glass bedding, which "punked" the effected areas... or "made soft". Additionally older oils would "shellac or petrify, newer lubricants do not suffer the same fate, so accumilations won't gum the parts. Store your synthetic stocked arms muzzle up since they usually have drainage all the way down to and icluding a hole through or near the butt plate's screw (see the M16/AR15 butt plate screw in line with the buffer tube), wood stocks muzzle down if lubed to the gills. All the fiber-glass stocked MTU NM M14's at Camp Legeune are stored muzzle down to preserve the "Marine-Tex" bedding compound (similar to JB Weld) not so much from softening, but to keep the resulting creep between surfaces from becoming a hydroplaning surface that compromizes the bedding's intent to "unitize" the stock and action.

Old timers and depot storage would often store barrled actions seperately from wooden stocks knowing the shellacked or waxy coatings would require a solvent rinse at resurrection, that would also hurt the wood.

Summary, lightly oiled always muzzle up

Drenched ... depends on the furniture and drainage.

The OP was correct in my book. His gun is best stored muzzle up with a lens cloth or similar dust mite trap lain over top, moderately oiled for stand-by.

Edited by cleefurd

Have you guys ever seen the muzzle crown of a shotgun, that the owner has stored muzzle down for years? Looks pretty nasty, all scratched and with dings. You might even find a few with the front bead broken off. We all would like to think we treat our beloved shotguns with kid gloves, but the truth is, if it's a working gun, most get beat up pretty good.

So, store those working guns SD/HD or Zombie slayers muzzle up. Toss a dixie cup over the muzzle to keep out dust, spiders and fingers. If there is enough oil on your baby to cook french fries, you're already in trouble. But hey, what do I know, I only have 31 years experience in LE work as a Federal Law Enforcement Sergeant. Six in a special reaction force for the really big bombs. One thing I have learned, if you line up 100 long term LE types and ask a gun guestion, you will get 100 different answers that are all correct.

Listen, contemplate, use common sense... then decide. :)

I really appreciate the repies. Its given me some useful info, particularly when it comes to "arguing" against the muzzle down crowd.

And I agree with an earlier response regarding the "quick acquisition" mentality. Personally, since I consider my shotgun as primarily a "barricade" (for lack of a better term) weapon , I never gave much credence to the "time saved" by storing muzzle down. As pointed out earlier, if it came down to mere seconds, going for a shotty (regardless of its position) or any weapon for that matter, would probably prove to be an exercise in futility.

This is why I keep a .45 ACP around (for greater mobility) and tend to regard the shotgun as "back-up." If I feel time and/or the situation would permit, the shotty would then become the primary HD weapon at that moment.

Of course, these thoughts are based on mere "information" and experiences gleaned from others as well as some of my own "practical" ideas.

Personally, if the sh*t ever does hit the fan...who knows what will happen. After all, planning will never replace experience. Frankly, dealing with a violent BG is one "experience" I would not mind avoiding.

Anyway...Thanks for the solid responses. I appreciate it.

Ill be going with muzzle up.

Edited by shotgunNoob