Does a new shotgun barrel need to be "seasoned"?

BenelliMike

Recently purchased a Benelli Super Nova and before I sight in with my scope will I need to season in the barrel? I read that a new barrel needs at least 50 rounds fired through it before it can be sighted in properly. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. The barrel is rifled for slug hunting.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by BenelliMike

Guest cleefurd

In light of the edit, (rifled barrel) I'll ammend my previous post, rifling may require some sort of "seasoning" to hone any vestiges of the rifling process. Basic rules of thumb follow. For at least the first 20-50 rounds;

> Don't attempt lapping if it is chrome lined.

>Shoot and clean alternately without exceeding 5 shots per cleaning if breaking in with any copper clad/or solids

The primary reason for cleaning at this interval is to purge any dislodged rifling shards that may "score" the bore and imbed in the otherwise smooth surfaces. There is no perfect way to do this, and while many may consider it anal or excessive precautions, I merely offer this as an effort to convey a constructive reply to your prudent care of YOUR new gun which you are apparently bound to take good care of.... take good care of it and it should take good care of you.