M4 Receiver Optic Rail - Why it sucks with Picatinny 1913 spec Optic Mounts (Pics)

Duggan

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have to ask, why would Benelli not provide a standard 1913 spec rail on this? It seems a little crazy with their current selection. Thoughts?

I very much look forward to another Cleefurd product! :D

They're Italian ... you have to expect them to be a bit odd.

Guest cleefurd

May have been EGW, but somewhere along the line someone started ordering and furnishing extrusions with that "sight channel", apparently not aware of the inherent weakness it posed with mounts like LaRue's. I personally am suprised it was not kicked back by someone at SYSCOM, PWS, Aberdeen or whoever did sights/optics review during trials.

The only available extrusions I have found so far are out of spec (way under) on the datum/width. We may have to machine from billet if something does not materialize soon. Still a few replies being awaited before we can set course.

More soon.

May have been EGW, but somewhere along the line someone started ordering and furnishing extrusions with that "sight channel", apparently not aware of the inherent weakness it posed with mounts like LaRue's. I personally am suprised it was not kicked back by someone at SYSCOM, PWS, Aberdeen or whoever did sights/optics review during trials.

The only available extrusions I have found so far are out of spec (way under) on the datum/width. We may have to machine from billet if something does not materialize soon. Still a few replies being awaited before we can set course.

More soon.

I am also surprised ...

And it sucks that nobody has the right stuff for you ... but I guess if you do it yourself you'll know exactly what's in it and what spec it's made to. Must cost more though ... but for say, 200 units, worst case scenario, if you had to machine from billet, cut and anodize everything yourself, what would you think MSRP would run?

Guest cleefurd

Hopefully that "worst case" scenario from billet price will be estimated by weeks end, since our R&D dept WILL be tasked with a response demand today.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cleefurd

Material inbound. Will be flat on top like M1913A drawings. Will also have "T6/T8/T10/and T12" markings in respective grooves. T2-T4 were not practical due to screw placement. They will be hard coat Type 3 mil-spec anodized (certified) for durability in matte texture similar to OEM part. They will also use YOUR factory screws and washers which are VERY high quality (no need to replace or substitute)... more soon.

P.S. Also made 50 (fifty) choke mounted recoil reducers by customer demand. I had numerous inquiries about it as shown on my collapsible stock project photo. A few people have made similar copies but none of them are faithful repros of the OEM unit, since every copy I have ever seen has all vent holes perpendicular to the bore axis. When Benelli still offered them they had the primary holes angled forward to create an outward "draft" for the final holes that enhanced efficiency. They are more expensive to produce that way, but I figure if you're gonna make a "knock-off", it might as well be a faithful one. They will come complete with heat treated stainless steel extended choke tube in "IC" for slug compatibility. Because they are "muzzle attachments" defined in H.R.922R these WILL be marked "USA" prior to anodizing. They will complete and catalog before the top rails referenced in this post since they were already under-way. As soon as they are complete I will post photos, and they will be available in the store.

Now you all know where I've been the last few weeks... keeping my promise to expand

Also have material in hand for titanium bolt knobs. We have been busy trying to catch up on other orders, and are nearing a "GO" now that we are coming up for air.

Edited by cleefurd

Guest cleefurd
I'm not sure if you've considered this but I believe Daves Metal Works makes a mil-spec 1913 picatinny rail for the M4. Check it out, ww.davesmetalworks.com/ben.html

HTH

Didn't want to go there... but I installed one of Dave's for a fellow Marine. Yes he knew how to use a screwdriver, it was the drilling and tapping he wanted assistance with. See notes in product description; http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=418424&t=11082005

Aside from requiring gunsmithing and drilling new holes in the M4's receiver, DMW's base was well made, although steel. I prefer the OEM footprint though over his continued use of the "wide-base" style which is usually the result of fabrication from billet with a cutter that cuts the lower angles and sides from the same fixturing orientation as the top surface, or from an extrusion aimed at providing a wider base for stability,

The one we have modelled and bought tooling for will cost less, use OEM screws in the OEM holes (requiring no gunsmithing), have the T# designators T6/T8/T10/T12, and M1913A compliant "grooveless" top surface.

The above information is ONLY intended to compare our previous experiences with our current direction and rationale. Always keeping in mind there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Edited by cleefurd
added the word "proverbial"

Guest cleefurd

They are engraved numbers in every other groove that serve as reference marks when switching back and forth between optics/accessories

So would it be possible to attach a 6 to 8 round shell carrier and an Eotech on the DMW rail?:confused: The difficulty with the nubs on Benneli's and Mesa's rail and their ability to hold a scope has me a little apprehensive towards making the purchase.

I don't know.

Read the account above about the DMW rail ... installing the rail may be the problem, not mounting an optic to it after/if you get a successful install.

• 3 weeks later...