M4 Receiver Optic Rail - Why it sucks with Picatinny 1913 spec Optic Mounts (Pics)

Duggan

The best handle ever dreamed up by man would be a more apt description. More Kip vaporware. He should hire someone that knows how to run a business at the 5 yr old lemonade stand level, it would be a big improvement. I'd wish he'd focus on these P-rails that should have shipped a year ago. This thread is 16 months old (almost 10,000 views) and nada, zip, dash sh*t on the market. It's a piece of metal!!

Yes, he makes a great tube, but that's all we've seen and even those ship at an embarrassing slow rate. Go back a year or more and see rails, chokes etc -- nothing has ever materialized. Let's not generate an iota of expectation in the minds of newbies here.

Thus is the saga of a small machine shop.

You want super quality stuff made exactly how you want, with the finest materials and labor, developed to perfection and available for everyone with no wait times ... all from a few man operation. It's a lot to ask, frankly I am amazed an operation as small as his is even taking on so many endeavors.

Nobody likes to wait, but it does no good to complain to the one guy who is actually trying to make the stuff that everyone wants.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want super quality stuff made exactly how you want, with the finest materials and labor, developed to perfection and available for everyone with no wait times ... all from a few man operation. It's a lot to ask, frankly I am amazed an operation as small as his is even taking on so many endeavors.

Nobody likes to wait, but it does no good to complain to the one guy who is actually trying to make the stuff that everyone wants.

I've been around here awhile, I understand where he's at, just not why he's there. Nothing other than the nice Ti tube that ships about as often as comets are sighted has EVER been sold to the public in the 16 months since I ordered my tube. You'd think it was the f-ng F-22 or something. Could he possibly be making any money? You make it sound like his approach is the only one that yields quality. Of course that's total BS. Looks at LaRue, ARMs, Surefire etc. Bottom line is he's a tinkerer not a business. He should pray that some high school shop teacher doesn't get interested in making M4 parts as he'd be a distant memory.

I've been around here awhile, I understand where he's at, just not why he's there. Nothing other than the nice Ti tube that ships about as often as comets are sighted has EVER been sold to the public in the 13 months since I ordered my tube. You'd think it was the f-ng F-22 or something. Could he possibly be making any money? You make it sound like his approach is the only one that yields quality. Of course that's total BS. Look at LaRue, ARMs, Surefire etc. Bottom line is he's a tinkerer not a business. He should pray that some high school shop teacher doesn't get interested in making M4 parts as he'd be a distant memory.

Let's imagine LaRue made a P-rail for the M4. You willing to wait a year..or more for Kips?

I have talked with Kip. A really nice guy and a fellow Marine, but he ain't hacking it. Someone pulled this thread from early last year and ZERO progress in the interim. I'm not upset with him, it's just the fanboy crap is unwarranted. Small shops make $50k watches in less time then this guy threads a tube and coats it.

Edited by BigHat

+1. Well said.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cleefurd
Bottom line is he's a tinkerer not a business. He should pray that some high school shop teacher doesn't get interested in making M4 parts as he'd be a distant memory.

If that shop teacher is a retired production engineer with a relevant rep·er·toire to garner a few million dollars in investments, then you'd be correct. "Teach" could go from zero to light speed in 2 years with a wagon full of shipping clerks, journeymen machinists, material handlers, accountants, attorney on retainer, and a decent fully equipped 10,000 sq ft of production space to spread their wings in.

I on the other hand spent 22 years pounding sand in the Marine Corps, retiring 13 months after my wife and unborn daughter passed away. 5 years later I graduated from a 3 year course in manufacturing technology (full time student) while simultaneously raising a daughter alone, and performing exploratory manufacturing ventures in an effort to wield sufficient capital to expand my business from scratch. Figuring how to do it right first. Our potential for growth is imminent to say the least!! Other prominent industry personel and I are hand in hand mapping a long term prospectus. I will bide my time and continue to be diligent, never abandoning my loyal friends both here and abroad. Yes my efforts may seem diminutive to you Big Hat, but I prefer to not outgrow my britches. Many irons in my fire beyond the components (hybrid knobs, picatinny rails etc which WILL materialize in perfect form) you bemoan the anticipation of. If they were my only aspirations you'd have seen them sooner, and little else. It's the "something else" that I am striving for. That shop teacher can run as fast as he likes, but when he burns out again and starts hanging out with kids in Jr High again, I'll take his resume and thank him for heeding your prophesy. Then my "distant memory" will be his sustenance.

Edited by cleefurd
Respect

If that shop teacher is a retired production engineer with a relevant rep·er·toire to garner a few million dollars in investments, then you'd be correct. "Teach" could go from zero to light speed in 2 years with a wagon full of shipping clerks, journeymen machinists, material handlers, accountants, attorney on retainer, and a decent fully equipped 10,000 sq ft of production space to spread their wings in.

I on the other hand spent 22 years pounding sand in the Marine Corps, retiring 13 months after my wife and unborn daughter passed away. 5 years later I graduated from a 3 year course in manufacturing technology (full time student) while simultaneously raising a daughter alone, and performing exploratory manufacturing ventures in an effort to wield sufficient capital to expand my business from scratch. Figuring how to do it right first. Our potential for growth is imminent to say the least!! Other prominent industry personel and I are hand in hand mapping a long term prospectus. I will bide my time and continue to be diligent, never abandoning my loyal friends both here and abroad. Yes my efforts may seem diminutive to you Big Hat, but I prefer to not outgrow my britches. Many irons in my fire beyond the components (hybrid knobs, picatinny rails etc which WILL materialize in perfect form) you bemoan the anticipation of. If they were my only aspirations you'd have seen them sooner, and little else. It's the "something else" that I am striving for. That shop teacher can run as fast as he likes, but when he burns out again and starts hanging out with kids in Jr High again, I'll take his resume and thank him for heeding your prophesy. Then my "distant memory" will be his sustenance.

Awesome! :cool:

Semper Fi Marine you are a credit to the Corps. Mission accomplishment and troop ( daughters) welfare all at the same time. They have been talking smack about us for over 235 years but when the wolf is at the door they still cry for us to come save them. The same as some of these guys talking smack but still want your parts badly.

Guest cleefurd
Semper Fi Marine you are a credit to the Corps. Mission accomplishment and troop ( daughters) welfare all at the same time. They have been talking smack about us for over 235 years but when the wolf is at the door they still cry for us to come save them. The same as some of these guys talking smack but still want your parts badly.

Thanks SGTMAJ, Duggan, Unobtanium, Skeeter, KB Fab (to name a few) for your backing.

Oh and tell heckler&kochp2000 not to sell that Larue/T-1 combo just yet. I'll GIVE him a 'correct' rail if he wants to make it work.

Big Hat... Thanks for the kick in the shins. Never killed a man to hear a fella's thoughts.

Thanks SGTMAJ, Duggan, Unobtanium, Skeeter, KB Fab (to name a few) for your backing.

Oh and tell heckler&kochp2000 not to sell that Larue/T-1 combo just yet. I'll GIVE him a 'correct' rail if he wants to make it work.

Big Hat... Thanks for the kick in the shins. Never killed a man to hear a fella's thoughts.

If I thought I had said anything that wasn't 100% factual I'd feel bad. As always, hope you get a handle/muzzle brake /rail, etc in production that were "any day now" 15 months ago. Of course, sorry for your personal losses. Also good to hear from you after a very long break with zero information. Sounds promising, if it's better than the other hollow promises.

Edited by BigHat

I'm interested in that rail Cleefurd let me know how to obtain one from you.

Thanks

Guest cleefurd
Sounds like more of a kick in the balls than the shins. Semper Kip....

Shhhh... Even though I thanked him he accused me of attacking him (in a PM response to that comment).

Guest cleefurd
I'm interested in that rail Cleefurd let me know how to obtain one from you.

Thanks

Sure thing. Just be sure and let BigHat (Matt) know you got your lemon-ade before he did.:D

You're welcome.:) FWIW, I run a small welding/fabrication business and most of what I do is assemble/weld product that is destined for retail sale. All of it is done on contract with a couple of clients that I have and they supply me with the materials and I fabricate their product for them. While none of it is my design, I have been involved with the development of a few things over the years and can honestly say that it's never a picnic trying to bring new products to market. Keep up the good work and put me down for those M4 parts that are on the way. If the quality is anything like the mag tube I recently got, it will be worth the wait.:cool:

Here is a link to a little of what I do. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eugene-OR/KB-Fabrications-LLC/109880982386571

Edited by KB Fab

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome. Let me know when that rail is done and set one aside. In the next few weeks I will be making solid income and plan on purchasing a few things.

Did i read that Correctly "GIVE" as in free? ;)

That's usually how I interpret it...especially when its written in all caps!

Did I mention that I have the exact same LaRoo TeaOne combo thingy (even my serial numbers are the same as HK's) that I am on the verge of getting rid of too!:rolleyes:

Guest cleefurd
Did i read that Correctly "GIVE" as in free? ;)

Read correctly.:D

We have a few with very minor blem's that do not affect function. I don't mind giving you one. The blem's vary from minor lettering defects etc which are only issues I would notice, and in all likelihood the anodizing process will probably mask it to some extent. Besides, I want the first one that goes out to SAVE someone from a bad experience. Been there and hoping this will fix your LaRue/T1 dillema.

Read correctly.:D

We have a few with very minor blem's that do not affect function. I don't mind giving you one. The blem's vary from minor lettering defects etc which are only issues I would notice, and in all likelihood the anodizing process will probably mask it to some extent. Besides, I want the first one that goes out to SAVE someone from a bad experience. Been there and hoping this will fix your LaRue/T1 dillema.

If you would be able to sell me a blem at a reduced price (I could care less about painted/lasered numbers being "smudged" or whatever), I would buy. Let me know!