SBE II Cycling Issue

Jim D

When using heavier field grade loads of varying manufacturers, my left handed SBE II occasionally fails to eject the empty hull (not even a partial ejection). The hull and fresh shell both occupy the bolt area resulting in a jam.

Oddly enough, this has never occurred with light target loads. Have cycled in excess of 1,000 AA's or Remington "Gun Club" target loads without a single problem. This only happens with heavier loads (of either 2 3/4" or 3").

Jam occurs in moderate air temperatures and the gun is cleaned thoroughly after each use.

Anyone experience something similar and if so, any suggestions to correct? The factory has issued a RA number, but I'm loathe to send back my shotgun with weeks to go in the current season.

Originally posted by Jim D:

When using heavier field grade loads of varying manufacturers, my left handed SBE II occasionally fails to eject the empty hull (not even a partial ejection). The hull and fresh shell both occupy the bolt area resulting in a jam.

Oddly enough, this has never occurred with light target loads. Have cycled in excess of 1,000 AA's or Remington "Gun Club" target loads without a single problem. This only happens with heavier loads (of either 2 3/4" or 3").

Jam occurs in moderate air temperatures and the gun is cleaned thoroughly after each use.

Anyone experience something similar and if so, any suggestions to correct? The factory has issued a RA number, but I'm loathe to send back my shotgun with weeks to go in the current season.

Sounds like the problems I've been experiencing with right handed SBE II. Cycling problem started this year, worked perfectly last year. I have sent it back to Benelli so will post when I hear anything. Gunsmith who sent it in for me said I am not the only one with this problem. Good luck.

:D :D There could be a simple reason why this is happening besides the cleaning and ect. The problem could be when your mounting the weapon, remember the inertia system needs a stable resting place when the weapon is in motion. Just a thought.

when Handgunners limp wrist the weapon a malfunction happens and this could be the problem.

[ 12-20-2005, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Commando ]

The same thing happens to me on my SBE11 but only after I tear it down and clean it.After 3 or 4 shots it stops jamming like I say it`s only after cleaning.I have tryed it with a little bit of benelli oil and dry after cleaning.I don`t clean it after every use and it will work fine.I also think there is something to what Commando is saying that could be a part of it to.Keep us updated and hope you get it worked out.

Talked to the factory this morning. Sounds like there are a couple of mechanical possibilities:

-Incorrect spring tension on the ejector

-Ejector is too long

Interesting point about the mount. I've never experienced the problem at the skeet field perhaps because I have ample mount and footing?? The blind is another story. Heavy jacket, contorted to make the shot, maybe the foundation isn't strong enough. I hope that's not the case but I can't rule it out.

I'll be more deliberate in the mount this weekend and let you know.

Thanks for the update. I just can't buy the mounting issue for my gun because I am not doing anything differently this year compared to last as far as I know. Gun will has not cycled when I wear a t-shirt to many heavy layers for goose hunting.