3.5" Steel loads

BlackDogs3

I just fired 3.5" steel loads through my new SBEII and boy, do they kick. Do any of you waterfowlers shoot 3.5" on a regular basis. If so, what brand of shells and shot size are you using? Also, what do you do to reduce the recoil? My normal duck loads (3" steel #4 and #2) shoot fine through the SBEII with noticeably less recoil than my old M1. The 3.5" kick will take some getting used to.

I shoot the SBE II with 3.5's #2 and BB. I have replaced the comfortech recoil pad with the exact fit one from Limbsaver nad it makes a huge difference. I know the angled pad from the factory is supposed to be the ticket, but with the limbsaver, I can shoot 3.5's all day without any pain later.

Thanks for all the input. I just purchased a LimbSaver 10401 and installed it yesterday. It's just a touch longer than the stock 14" LOP recoil pad, but it feels nice mounted. Does Benelli make a recoil pad that snaps into a SBEII that does not have the angle? I think part of my problem is that the angle doesn't quite fit me.

I'm not sure whether Benelli makes a flat pad for the SBE II or not. The earlier SBE had a flat pad but I don't think it will fit the Comfortech stock. The Limbsaver you ordered is the same as the oe I put on, and in my opinion it feels a whole lot better then the factory one.

When you insatll it though, just start the screws into the adapter plate so you have room to angle the plate into the stock.Then tighten it once the plate is inside the retaining lip. Same thing applies when removing it for cleaning and so on. Loosen the screws then take it off.

I was on the phone to both Limbsaver and Benellli today and I learned a few things.

1) Benelli does not make a flat recoil pad for the new comfortech stocks, just the ergonomic pad with the ridge.

2) All new 2008 comfortech stocks take the same pop-in pad pad including my 20 ga SuperSport. (after about a 15 min wait, Benelli USA was very helpful.) This might be true for older comfortech stocks.

3) The LimbSaver precision fit 10401 or 10400 recoil pad will fit any new 2008 comfortech stock 12ga or 20 ga. (The folks at LimbSaver are very nice and very helpful.) They will not fit some of the older SuperSport 20 ga synthetic stocks, but if your stock takes one of the new ergonomic Benelli pop-in pads then it will fit the 10400 or 10401.

Edited by BlackDogs3

OK. I put a Limbsaver 10401 on the SBEII and it makes a world of difference. The 3.5 #2 loads are now acceptable. Still a kick, but no longer scary. Normal #2 and #4 steel 3" duck loads no problem at all. I think Benelli needs to get together with LimbSaver. The new gel pads that they are selling are just not doing the job. I was so impressed with the 10401 that I ordered a 10400 speed mount pad for my 20 ga Super Sport. Very nice recoil pad.

There is a small problem with the LimbSaver 10401 and the 2008 model SBEII. Benelli extended the stock about 3/8" and now the LimbSaver insert does not fit as tightly as it should. I needed to put a little tape around the top and bottom of the insert (actually I added the tape to the inside of the stock) to make it fit snuggly. No such problem with the 10400 and the Super Sport. The Super Sport stock is the same as the older SBEII and the inserts fits very well.

Edited by BlackDogs3

• 3 weeks later...

i shoot a Nova, but i borrowed and shot a SBE II at some geese at the end of the season, they were 3 1/2" BBB's and first thing i said to the guy when i gave it back to him, is holy crap that thing kicks!! im hoping the SBE II i bought a week ago when i break it in with the two boxes of 3.5" i have for it wont kick that bad!!:p but from the sounds of it i might be getting a limbsaver for it... how much do those cost anyway??