Brand New M4 FTF and FTE Help

Dccarper

Picked up my first Benelli, a desert camo M4 last week. Cleaned and lubed yesterday and tried it out today.

To my disappointment it has lots of FTE and FTF, only occasionally it will feed and extract properly.

I was using winchester 2 3/4 target ammo I got from walmart.

Anyone know what might be the cause?

Thanks

Edited by Dccarper

What lubrication products were used, not too sure about break in on an ARGO shotgun? Really do not think it needs one? http://www.militec.com/firearms/manual1.html

Pg 68 has some troubleshooting techniques and

pg 29 Remedial Action

pg 56-60 talks about cleaning and lubrication!

Good luck and hope this helps but do not be shy about calling Benelli!

Edited by HOGWILD

Guest cleefurd
some recomend you shoot a couple boxes of heavier hunting loads through it first fore a breakin ,and were the shells at least 3 dram, hope this helps

+1 on that.

Did you fire any other loads? Did they also fail to eject?

You mentioned Fail to Fire, can you explain in more detail?

Was the cartridge fully seated in the chamber when the hammer fell?

Did you have full primer strike? Light primer strike? No primer strike?

Hard for us to help with out some more specifics but believe me, everyone here likes that weapon system and wants you to have one that operates flawlessly.

Thanks for all the replies.

I was using Break Free CLP. The problem I have is fail to extract and fail to feed. All rounds fired properly after I manually cycles the weapon.

I think they are related and seems it's caused the ammo is not powerful enough to fully cycle the weapon, as when this happens, it can be cleared if I manually cycle it by pulling the bolt handle.

I bought M4 because of it's ACOG system, and thought it should be able to handle a wide variety of ammos.

The winchester ammo I used is rated at 1200fps, which I tjought should be enough to cycle it.

I bought M4 because of it's ACOG system, and thought it should be able to handle a wide variety of ammos.

M4's come with a built in ACOG now? :)

Worry not, my m4 did the same thing ... it jammed like crazy for the first 100 or so rounds, with target shells, buckshot, everything ... then it miraculously went away and hasn't had a single failure since, 11,000 rounds later.

My advice would be to just put as many shells as you can through it ... I bet the problem goes away.

Let us know.

Don't worry, I got a brand new one like you did last week and tried the same win stuff. I had some failure to fire and eject. I put slugs and buck shot in and no problems what so ever. Once you have shot a couple of boxes of the heavier stuff, your probs will go away. Just give it a short break in time.

Thanks all. Sorry about the typo, I wish it will come with a ACOG.

Seems it just needs break in. will manually cycle it help with the break in?

I will report back after I hit the 200rd mark.

One more question, anyone tried Federal Low Recoil Buck shot with M4, will the low recoil stuff cycle the M4 ok?

One more question, anyone tried Federal Low Recoil Buck shot with M4, will the low recoil stuff cycle the M4 ok?

Manualy cycling it will not apply the forces needed to the gun that is needed for breaking the gun in. You can not apply as much force to the parts as is applied when actually firing.

You should let the gun do the work.

That said, federal low recoil OO has worked fine for me, but I only use full power stuff now.

The m4 will cycle 90% of low recoil stuff, there is one brand I found that it didn't want to cycle, I forget what ... but pretty much anything that isn't less than lethal it will cycle ... but every gun is different and you never know until you try it, so buy a bunch of types of stuff and get to shooting!

Thanks all. Sorry about the typo, I wish it will come with a COG.

I will report back after I hit the RD mark.

One more question, anyone tried Federal Low Recoil Buck shot with M4, will the low recoil stuff cycle the M4 OK?

Winchester 1oz Low Recoil Slug and Federal 9 pellet Low Recoil OO Buck are our duty rds, just went through a Train the Trainer with my M4 and fired (400) Buck, (250) Slug, in 30 hours. Not a problem. The M4 ate it for breakfast.

Mike

BTW - With the new Federal Flight Control (LE132) we could shoot head shots at (20) meters keeping all the pellets in the head. That's with the factory standard modified choke. Those new rds are fantastic.

12-ga-tactical.jpg

Left - Flight Control (20 yds) Right - Non Flight (20yds)

Fed-Wolf.JPG

(sorry, can't post our photo's, had to find one instead)

Edited by Mike Grasso

I use the same rounds .... excect the full recoil ones ... and the ones that are 1325 fps

http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/shotshell/tacticalbuckshot.aspx

The last one on the list.

Too bad Federal has stopped selling their good ammo to us lowly civilians, looks like I'll need to find another cop to make my ammo purchases for me unfortunately.

I just ordered 100 of their "TACTICAL LAW ENFORCEMENT RESTRICTED ULTIMATE KILL ZONE OH RAH" truball slugs though, I have high expectations for them ...

http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/shotshell/tacticaltruballrifleslug.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am happy to report that after manually cycle the M4 for about 200 times( I tied a bunjee cord to the charging handle to make it easier) and fired 20 rounds of slugs, the FTF/FTE issue went completely away.

I shot 25 rd of the walmart winchester target ammo last night(the same ammo I was having trouble with before), not even a single hiccup.

Thanks all for your kind help.

Edited by Dccarper

I put a box of winchester buck through mine, then 50 winchester AA 7 1/2. Now it even cycles with the AA ultralights. Not a single FTE or FTFeed. Does get some funny looks on the skeet range though.:rolleyes: