Stock Refinishing

fishinguy

I have an old Mossberg New Haven 20ga. It's the first gun I purchased in my youth 30 years ago. Wow!! It was used then, and the stock had been modified slightly to fit the previous owner better. It was a horrible job. However, I can't quite seem to let it go. So I think I'll refinish the wood instead. Once stripped, what would people recommend for the finish?

I have an old Mossberg New Haven 20ga. It's the first gun I purchased in my youth 30 years ago. Wow!! It was used then, and the stock had been modified slightly to fit the previous owner better. It was a horrible job. However, I can't quite seem to let it go. So I think I'll refinish the wood instead. Once stripped, what would people recommend for the finish?

I guess that would depend on what type of finnish you like.

Gloss, satin or oil.

A good Neatsfoot oil, handrubbed looks great, the more you do it the better it looks, then a light wax will give you varying degrees of shine. Birchwood-Casey Tru Oil or even better Lin-Speed Oil all put good finishes on stocks.

Mike

I've always had glossy finishes, I figured that would be easier to care for. But I'm sure this gun will see less field time. I like the idea of oil.

Is Neatsfoot a brand or type of oil? I assume from that point after a wax, it needs to be waxed after a time in the field?

I did a Remington 700 BDL years ago using Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil.

If a chemical remover is used to strip the old finish, then you'll have to do some sanding because the chemicals will raise the grain.

I applied 10 coats, with each one drying 24 hours.

I applied the coats with my fingers to insure a thin and uniform application, and used Xtra fine steel wool between each coat.

After the final coat had hardened for a couple days, I buffed the gloss down to a satin finish using a piece of burlap and then finished with some fine pumice powder, lemon oil, and an old piece of denim.

I never liked the glossy factory finish on the BDL's, but back then all I could get in LH was the BDL.

It turned out well.

700-4.jpg