About To Be SuperNova Tactical Owner...

MassMark

Greetings from Massachusetts! After a long wait to replace my tired old pump-gun, I am buying a Benelli Super Nova Tactical. I work part-time in the firearms department for a sporting goods store and am being offered a ProDeal from Benelli - too good to pass up. I had the same opportunity for a Remington 870 tactical, as well as a Mossberg 500, but the Benelli keeps calling my name, so I'm making the leap....

I did a lot of research about this shotgun - especially looking for people with minor/major complaints and did not find a bunch out there. I read about a couple of folks having feeding issues and subsequent poor Benelli customer service, but that's about it. The only issue I'm having is more internal than anything - stock choice. I am a huge fan of the look, feel and utility of a pistol grip stock, but the ComforTech looks interesting. I also seem to recall reading a thread attached to reliability issues that had something to do with the pistol gripped Benelli stocks on the SuperNova, but can't place whether it was really an issue or a theory.

If possible, I could use some feedback from both camps - I'm leaning pistol grip, but can always be swayed...Will be ordering my SNT next Friday, so I still have time...

To date I have 3,000 rounds through my first SuperNova Tactical and about 500 through my new SNT. Both are pistol grip and both have the ghost ring sights. When I bought my first one I was new to shotguns and had no brand preference. The fully finished look and operation sold me on Benelli versus the Mossberg or Remington.

As for CS issues I have not had one complaint about Benelli. Hold time is usually minimal and they have given me no headaches. The only issue I ever had was trying to find a replacement stock bolt which the Benelli USA diagram did not show. This was simply resloved by picking up a non-italian (SBE) made bolt at a local fastener store.

It's mostly a matter of personal preference, however, I swapped out my M4 PG for a field stock because the PG inhibits your ability to ability to carry your weapon in certain positions, such as high ready. Try going around a corner to investigate that bump in the night with a PG'ed shotgun without leading with your barrel, and you'll see its very difficult to maintain your grip on the PG. Also, if you do lead with your barrel and a baddy grabs your weapon, its much easier for him to break your grip on the PG by twisting the shotgun than with a field stock.

Edited by DMAN

To date I have 3,000 rounds through my first SuperNova Tactical and about 500 through my new SNT. Both are pistol grip and both have the ghost ring sights. When I bought my first one I was new to shotguns and had no brand preference. The fully finished look and operation sold me on Benelli versus the Mossberg or Remington.

As for CS issues I have not had one complaint about Benelli. Hold time is usually minimal and they have given me no headaches. The only issue I ever had was trying to find a replacement stock bolt which the Benelli USA diagram did not show. This was simply resloved by picking up a non-italian (SBE) made bolt at a local fastener store.

Thanks for that reply. It's good to hear from people experienced with the Benelli. Some of what I have read comes from purists - who think there is no other God than Remington 870. In fact, I have read about more issues with 870's than anything. I had my own several years ago, when I purchased a new 870 for training and HD. Nothing like racking the slide and having shells eject from the tube. That was repaired, then on my first outing, the gun literally came apart. I attribute it to the lemon principle, as I know 870's have a rich history of service, but they are indeed not perfect. I am looking forward to replacing my old Ithaca with the newer breed. The Ithaca has been great, but it's well-worn and in need of more TLC than I want to put into it at the moment. Will likely fix it up for a camp gun down the road...

It's mostly a matter of personal preference, however, I swapped out my M4 PG for a field stock because the PG inhibits your ability to ability to carry your weapon in certain positions, such as high ready. Try going around a corner to investigate that bump in the night with a PG'ed shotgun without leading with your barrel, and you'll see its very difficult to maintain your grip on the PG. Also, if you do lead with your barrel and a baddy grabs your weapon, its much easier for him to break your grip on the PG by twisting the shotgun than with a field stock.

Thanks for your experience as well - it's something to seriously consider. I'm running through my mind some of the drills I've run and though I've never run into snags using a PG - it doesn't mean I won't....

It's mostly a matter of personal preference, however, I swapped out my M4 PG for a field stock because the PG inhibits your ability to ability to carry your weapon in certain positions, such as high ready. Try going around a corner to investigate that bump in the night with a PG'ed shotgun without leading with your barrel, and you'll see its very difficult to maintain your grip on the PG. Also, if you do lead with your barrel and a Biddy grabs your weapon, its much easier for him to break your grip on the PG by twisting the shotgun than with a field stock.

Personal preference aside...

Moving through the house in a high ready position? That's just bad advice. The proper position is Indoor Low Ready, the weapon close to your body and bladed across your chest. A hand reaching out will only find the shotgun being pulled toward his legs or pelvis.

The second part of your shotgun take-a-way is kind of misleading. Any weapon can be removed by rotating away from the fingers and to the thumb, your weakest part of the grip, Thats why the indoor low ready position keeps the weapon close to the chest and uses a pistol gripped weapon system. Rotation towards the thumb would be toward your chest, the area which your arms have the most strength and control.

Mike

Edited by Mike Grasso

Good old Youtube, sorry but I use that place as refference for guns just like cars. If you want to see common internet myths or people messing around it's the place to go.

When it comes to home defense how many times will this stance be initiated to begin with? In a real situation you keep the intruder at a compliant distance or stay where they will walk into your line of fire.

Moving through the house in a high ready position? That's just bad advice. The proper position is Indoor Low Ready, the weapon close to your body and bladed across your chest. A hand reaching out will only find the shotgun being pulled toward his legs or pelvis.

The second part of your shotgun take-a-way is kind of misleading. Any weapon can be removed by rotating away from the fingers and to the thumb, your weakest part of the grip, Thats why the indoor low ready position keeps the weapon close to the chest and uses a pistol gripped weapon system. Rotation towards the thumb would be toward your chest, the area which your arms have the most strength and control.

Mike

Exactly........

Personal preference aside...

Mike

I know your LE trained, but I'm not counting on having SWAT with me and I don't need to be concerned about muzzling team members.

If I'm clearing a corner where the 10% area is on my firing side, I'm going to able to address any threat that 1/4 second faster if I'm at the high ready than indoor low ready.

Edited by DMAN

I know your LE trained, but I'm not counting on having SWAT with me and I don't need to be concerned about muzzling team members.

If I'm clearing a corner where the 10% area is on my firing side, I'm going to able to address any threat that 1/4 second faster if I'm at the high ready than indoor low ready.

The comfor-tech stock is nice though. would like a hybrid also.

Not to Hijack...

1/4 second? doesn't mean much even if I agreed..

Take into consideration High Ready blocks a lot of vision, especially in a house, that's why there's ILR, always time to be sure of your target. High ready was a carry over from wing shooting, it's used outdoors and when your prey will take flight or at a greater distance...

ILR - It's just good tactical sense. bet you if I spent 10 mins with you, you'd change your mind, you don't need LE or SWAT training to be comfortable in your home.

Remember practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect!

Mike

The comfor-tech stock is nice though. would like a hybrid also.

Not to Hijack...

1/4 second? doesn't mean much even if I agreed..

Take into consideration High Ready blocks a lot of vision, especially in a house, that's why there's ILR, always time to be sure of your target. High ready was a carry over from wing shooting, it's used outdoors and when your prey will take flight or at a greater distance...

ILR - It's just good tactical sense. bet you if I spent 10 mins with you, you'd change your mind, you don't need LE or SWAT training to be comfortable in your home.

Remember practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect!

Mike

Mike - no hijack at all - at least as far as I'm concerned. I appreciate all the nuances that go into this decision - I don't take this lightly whatsoever. I have a bit of training, but nothing close to LE level and experiences of those like yourself with a more rich level of training is beneficial. I for one, have not experienced a lack of control during take-away drills with the pistol grip, but that's just me. Like you, I was also trained not to clear my house at high-ready, but again - that's how I was trained and feel comfortable and about 5 minutes ago, I walked my house in a high ready posture and it felt alien. Thanks for reinforcing ILR - it's a zone where I feel most comfortable.....

While at the store today, I looked at two non-tactical Novas - one with the ComfortTech - the other with SteadyGrip. I'm no stock engineer, but I cannot see why the benefits of both cannot be combined...Perhaps a Benelli insider knows far more than I....

its much easier for him to break your grip on the PG by twisting the shotgun than with a field stock.
I wont get into it, but I have to respectfully disagree with this comment.

Back to the original issue....I personally prefer the PG stock as it seems to allow for greater versatility/control vs the Comfortech. Also, I personally dont recall ever seeing/hearing any issues with the PG (SureGrip) stock regarding its reliability vs the Comfortech. I have yet to encounter any issues with my current install. I figure if the PG stock is tightly/properly secured to the receiver, the chances of failure are no less/greater vs a "standard" stock.

BTW- I agree with using a "low ready" position, particularly within the home. Too many reasons to list for this theory.......

Edited by shotgunNoob

Can't say enough good things about my Comfor-Tech stock.

I agree. I have both a PG and a comfortech for my Supernova and I go with the comfortech for home defense. I have no specific reasons other than it feels better and a **** of a lot of people have been blasted over the years with a 12 gauge fitted with a hunting stock for me to be concerned about its perceived as being less tactical.

It may not be tacticool, but a standard hunting stock is great for pointability and speed on target.

It may not be tacticool, but a standard hunting stock is great for pointability and speed on target.
...and more likely to "treat" a BG to a successful disarm attempt, IMHO. PG stocks arent just for "tacticool" show. They have clear advantages when used on an HD weapon.

Think of it this way...When using a standard stock, the heigth of the wrist closely resembles that of one used for a "pushing" type movement. Whereas, when using a PG stock, the wrist is closer to resembling a natural "pulling" movement (ie., wrist/arm angle closer to the body). Approaching it from this perspective, which one seems more likely to offer the most security?

To me, there is a difference between merely "holding" a weapon vs "gripping" a weapon.

Oh, one more thing. Try manipulating your shotty with one hand using either/or the PG stock and the standard stock. Which one allows for greater control? I think you get the idea.

The only reason I would ever consider not using the PG stock would be due to the irrational opinions regarding the "evil" appearance of PG equipped weapons (if ever on trial for an HD related homicide). Even so, I would have to go with the PG equipped stock on this shotty as the advantages are too numerous. Besides, I feel that "better control" and "less likely for disarm" would be good starting points when trying to explain my use (to a jury) for such an accessory.

Edited by shotgunNoob