Pheasant hunting??

WillieP

Between the punblic walk in land and the indian reservations South Dakota has 1000's of arces of land. There is some real good public land west of the river were they have pheasant, partridge and chickens. Just go on line, they are a very hunter / firearms friendly state.

Define "out west."

Like Matt said, South Dakota is very hunter friendly, and is, in my opinion, the pheasant capitol of the world.

But Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, North Dakota, and even Minnesota all have fair populations of pheasants.

All have varying amounts of "open to the public" land. Kansas has a program called "Walk-In-Hunting-Areas." Go to the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks website and look for the WIHA Atlas.

One of the keys to public land, regardless of what state, is to get away from the populated cities. Public lands within a 100 mile radius of large populations tend to get hammered pretty hard.

I have hunted pheasant in Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. I would agree that the best pheasant hunting is in SD. If you are lokking for a mixed bag hunt of qauil and pheasant Kansas offers that. But have had great hunts in all of the above states.

A little homework and time will pay off.