Slate call recommendations

slickbricky

It has been my experience that a $12 call can sound just as good as an $80 one. I have a gift card to Cabela's that is burning a hole in my pocket and really want a new slate call, as I cannot putt or purr very well with a mouth call. Thing is, I hate to buy a call without hearing and feeling it. The reviews in the online catalog are helpful; I'm just trying to get as much input as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

See if you can find one like this.

If I had cut a notch in this call for every turkey it has taken it would be a pile of sawdust. ;)

32608rogerlathamslate.jpg

I use a glass call for volume and range, but when they get within 100 yards or so, I switch to this for the sweet talkin'.

I can make sound like the hen is moving side to side or forward and back.

Tucker, I would kill to use one of those up on the stage in a contest for doing my tree yelps! I imagine that thing is killer for doing the up close stuff:)

Slickbricky,

There are some fantastic calls that are available for less than $20. The Primos Power Crystal is a nice call, as well as the MAD Aluminator,and some of the H.S Strut calls.

I invite you to check out the newest slate-type offering by Quaker Boy called The Trifecta. It has three different surfaces: aluminum,slate, and ceramic. This is like getting three different calls in one. Cabela's should have them for a very reasonable price if it strikes your fancy

Here is a link to peep it out.

http://www.quakerboy.com/store.php?crn=219&rn=557&action=show_detail

The most important thing is to find a call you like. If you are able to go to a Cabela's store closer to turkey season, they usually have a bunch of models of the different manufacturers calls that you can try out.

It has been my experience that a $12 call can sound just as good as an $80 one.

Along the same lines, I have bought 6 x $12 calls that don't sound as good as 1 good $80 call :)

I have several custom slates from Pacific Flyway calls that have been deadly on my midwest trips.

I'm only adding one slate this year, the Cherry Bomb slate from Mark Allan Drury calls.

Woodhaven Cherry classic slate and crystal. Both of these calls are awesome. The Woodhaven cluck'n purr pot is another slammer to have. I have taken quite a few birds with all of these calls.

Another call maker to check out.....he is known for world class waterfowl calls, Zinks calls. I have his PowerHen Walnut slate and like it so far. The turkey will tell me....this will be the first spring with it. LOL!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all of the responses. I just ordered a Woodhaven Cherry Classic.

You just paid entirely to much for a production call. If you were looking into spending that much money you should have went with a good custom call made from someone who will and can make a call to sound the way you want.

Production calls all basically sound the same way with the same tone qualitys. CnC production calls are a thing of the past hand turned calls are what you should have went for. That way you would have had something in the woods that the guy across the road is not going to have.

EDIT: I see someone through a link out check Andy Kaisers calls out http://kaiserkalls.com/ or do a search for him on google you will see what is said by people who actually use them

Edited by Flhawghuntr

• 2 weeks later...

woodhaven are custom calls . Look at the championships they win. If the calls out there are better these guys will use them to win these contests. cody is another one. Bud and Betty another http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj132/Bartmanspics/010.jpgone..http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj132/Bartmanspics/008.jpg

Edited by BARTMAN

THose Kaiser calls look nice. And if he starts selling a bunch of them guess what he will have to mass produce like the rest of the guys. These calls of top sellers still have a lot of hands on unlike the plastic machine produced calls. May try one Kasiers calls myself but I have yet to run any I like better than woodhavens

You just paid entirely to much for a production call. If you were looking into spending that much money you should have went with a good custom call made from someone who will and can make a call to sound the way you want.

Production calls all basically sound the same way with the same tone qualitys. CnC production calls are a thing of the past hand turned calls are what you should have went for. That way you would have had something in the woods that the guy across the road is not going to have.

EDIT: I see someone through a link out check Andy Kaisers calls out http://kaiserkalls.com/ or do a search for him on google you will see what is said by people who actually use them

Some get it and then there those that don't FLH :D I'd never buy another mass produced call again period. I own three of Andy's calls and several other custom calls from other call makers. Andy's calls for the last 5 years are always in my vest ;)

THose Kaiser calls look nice. And if he starts selling a bunch of them guess what he will have to mass produce like the rest of the guys. These calls of top sellers still have a lot of hands on unlike the plastic machine produced calls. May try one Kasiers calls myself but I have yet to run any I like better than woodhavens

Bart buddy I see you haven't a clue and WoodHaven is nothing but CnC mass produced calls. Andy Kaiser makes a awesome call an like Tooky said some don't get it. doesn't matter how many calls you make in a year if you make them on a CnC machine they are not custom. Look up what the word means if you still don't get it. Oh I bt you think Primos makes a custom call too. You like woodhavens so much please stay with them and don't get a custom call makes killin them in front of you that much easier for everyone else.

Also for the price that they charge you think Mike could throw in a hand turned striker instead of a two piece striker. Hel* it wouln't be hard to have them turn strikers on it too since they turn diamondwood one piece strikers guess they have enough suckers willing to pay it where they feel they can give a piece of crap striker with their over priced calls

Edited by Flhawghuntr

Just because you have a call made in a guys garage don't mean you will be killing anything in front of me. You can buy a custom built motorcyle to and have it falling apart going down the road while the mass produced bike passes you by. The guy just wanted to know who made some decent calls. And there were more brands mentioned than one or two garage brands. And Kasier don't even have any calls to sell. Maybe you would be willing to sell yours to him? I have a few pretty custom calls that set on the shelf. Not saying woodhaven is the best call. Just the best I have run at nwtf shows mass produced or not. Paid to much? probably did but I could by a cheaper shotgun than an SBEII also. I am sure these guys are melting down some aluminum and pouring and making their own glass.They should get rid of the lathe and chisel them out by hand and make them even more custom. When I buy a pretty custom call that sounds better I will use it. But I dont think a custom call maker will accept his gift card

Edited by BARTMAN

Ah FLH is a good guy, He's been hangin around here a while now and he has some valid points. But we do also. Just think he would be a little suprised if he scratched around on few of the " better mass produced calls" esecially the new vision Mike has. And I bought mine last year and I don't think you can buy it yet through a distributor because of the length of time it was taking him to fuse the aluminum and crystal. And I could have told you to try it but its twice the price. And beleive me I asked around before buying it.Talked to some guys on the woodhaven forum, and their is some turkey slayin son of guns on there that said it was worth the money. Its just like decoys Dave smith or pretty boy take your pick

I like slates in general.

I've bought some 'custom' calls that sound like crap.

I've bought some 'production' calls that sound pretty good.

I've got a custom slate coming from Lights Out Calls that might be interesting.

This tom liked the new Zink Powerhen. Then he died :D

turkey2009006.jpg

FLH, Do you notice people turning and walking away from you while you are in mid-sentence? Just curious.

Do I really care? Do I? You are the one who got ripped off not me. Till you know me don't jump to conclusions till someone pays my bills for me I could care less what others do or think.

Mud fine bird their congrats!

I like slates in general.

I've got a custom slate coming from Lights Out Calls that might be interesting.

Congrats on the fine Tom ... & I'm also a big fan of the "sound of slate" myself.

I picked up 4 of the Lights Out "Honey Pot" calls for this season - slate, glass, aluminum, & copper surfaces ...

I hope you like your new slate from him ... Wendell does some very fine work & turns a great sounding pot call.