like chicken??

splashtx556ftw

That actually all depends on how you cook them. Because there is so little fat on them you need to add some and they will take on that taste. For example, many people will wrap the breast in bacon and then grill them (not a bad way to eat a pheasant, by the way), others (like moi) like to smoke them in which case they will pick up the flavors of the smoke.

I'd never really say they taste like chicken since they are a bit dryer so maybe closer to a Thanksgiving turkey thats been in the oven?

Close to chicken but not quite the same, and like Mr. Mac said they are on the dry side so be careful there. The breast is all white meat and the legs are dark, the wings you can dam near forget about.

Good eats, and way better than duck in my opinion.

AHH so thats it you have to kill your taste buds with JD first. no really ive had it several diffrent ways. i just dont care for it. i have friends that will eat duck but not dove. and man i can eat my wieght in dove. i had a record year for dove last year. ever time i went, i limited out in 45mins to an hour.and every time we cooked up a limit, id go out and get another one.

AHH so thats it you have to kill your taste buds with JD first. no really ive had it several diffrent ways. i just dont care for it. i have friends that will eat duck but not dove. and man i can eat my wieght in dove. i had a record year for dove last year. ever time i went, i limited out in 45mins to an hour.and every time we cooked up a limit, id go out and get another one.

you expect us to believe you stoped at your limit HA your a marked man :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I eat it quite often as I live in ND and hunt them a lot throughout the season. They are gamier than chicken but at the same time not very strong unlike sharptail or duck. I fry them like chicken or bread the brest in egg and flour. I sometimes pluck them and put them on a rotiseri (my favorite way). You do not necisarily have to wrap them in anything, just sear them for a couple minuets on each side. Wild game birds including duck should not be cooked through like chicken, they should be left a little rare inside. Most people overcook them and that is why they taste very gamie and dry.

Here is one that we use.

Crock-Pot Pheasant

1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix

Flour

Canola oil or peanut oil

Lawry’s Seasoned Salt to taste

½ cup white wine - optional

• Cut up pheasant, including filleting of breasts and separation of thighs from drumsticks. Coat pheasant lightly with flour and sprinkle with Lawry’s Seasoned Salt.

• Pre-heat canola oil in a skillet. Brown pheasant in canola oil in the skillet at medium heat.

• After browning on both sides, put pheasant in crock pot.

• Add a packet of Lipton Dehydrated Onion Soup Mix to the skillet you used to brown the pheasant along with 2 – 3 cups of water. If you are using a larger pot and cooking more than two birds, you would want to increase the amount of water. (You can substitute a ½ cup of white wine for ½ cup of the water.)

• Heat the water, onion soup mix, and any drippings remaining to a boil and pour over pheasant in the crock pot.

• Cook on low temperature for 5 – 7 hours depending on how much pheasant you are cooking and the temperature of your crock pot (they’re all different).

• 4 weeks later...