This is my year! I can FEEL it!

sdkidaho

Turkey hunting has been a blast the last few years, but I have yet to actually kill a turkey. Last spring was a lot of fun. Me and two other guys went and spent four days hunting them in a place we'd never been. We got so see turkeys, but never got close enough to take a shot at any, and the couple that did come in close enough were hens.

We saw some beautiful country. I got to see my first wolf. I got to see my first quail. I got to see my first Cinnamon Teal. It was an awesome trip even though I wasn't able to get a nice gobbler.

Man, is that what hunting is about, or what? Enjoying it completely, regardless of whether or not you actually fill your tag.

Love it.

For many, many years I have gone out to the woods, the lakes, rivers and fields in search of game birds, waterfowl, deer, elk, and so on. Not once have I ever actually cared if I ever took an animal or even fired a shot. Just being out there with family and/or friends has been more than enough for me!

Remember, the worst day of hunting is still better than your best day at work!

Man, is that what hunting is about, or what? Enjoying it completely, regardless of whether or not you actually fill your tag.

Not for me usually :)

I must kill or have the chance to kill. No joke.

Now, how much to kill of what is dealt with on a case by case basis.

Also, each game species has different objectives for me. Deer, waterfowl, turkeys, etc. all have different goals for me.

I couldn't disagree more with the tired old "a bad day hunting" bit. A bad day hunting is just that. A good day a work can lead to so much more. For me, a good day at work can lead to sales, which leads to commission, which is how I pay for many fantastic hunts.

The sun will rise everyday until I'm worm food. I don't need to be in the duck blind, with friends or family, with a wet dog, sipping a hot cup of coffee, just enjoying the sounds and sights of the marsh, etc. I'm there to kill ducks. Period. I want to kill ducks, go home, and then go back another day to kill more ducks.

Turkeys are a bit different. I've had some success with them. Generally, I like to get a big tom down early each season. This takes the monkey off my back. But, as the season progresses, the passion to hunt the big toms seems to get stronger and stronger. I love these birds :)

But this is just my take.....

my true love is dove and deer hunting. and i guess im gettin soft, cause when i see a big beautiful buck , it almost saddens me to kill him. they are fantastic creatures.

ive bagged more dove than i could ever count. got my first mule deer at age 12, first turkey at 16 man are they bugger to dress.

my tally so far is;

whitetail-2, 1 4pnt,1 6pnt

mule deer-5, 2 spikes,2 4pnts, 1 10pnt

4 turkey

ducks several hundred, and 1 out of season that i will never live down.:o:p

I only deer hunt and love every time I go(50+ a year). My outlook is, if at end of year, I have killed a buck most hunters would mount I have had a great year. I also want to take a many does as bucks.

Excellent reply. Sounds like a solid goal each year :) Your comment on the does shows that you understand modern deer herd management :)

Excellent reply. Sounds like a solid goal each year :) Your comment on the does shows that you understand modern deer herd management :)

I did not mention that the farmer needs about 10 deer a year. After his he has about 5 seniors that take deer. Usually I have about a 5 does to 1 buck ratio. Makes me feel like I am doing my part(Plus) of management. The last time I took a buck under 8 pts. was to win a pool, felt bad but the money was good.

Turkey hunting has been a blast the last few years, but I have yet to actually kill a turkey. Last spring was a lot of fun. Me and two other guys went and spent four days hunting them in a place we'd never been. We got so see turkeys, but never got close enough to take a shot at any, and the couple that did come in close enough were hens.

We saw some beautiful country. I got to see my first wolf. I got to see my first quail. I got to see my first Cinnamon Teal. It was an awesome trip even though I wasn't able to get a nice gobbler.

Love it.

I think this will be your year indeed. You have a healthy attitude and optimism breeds success.

Especially with turkey hunting. If I didnt think I'd kill a turkey every morning I went , then

I would do like mudhen, and just stay home and sell cars.

The woods are alive and it is wonderful to get out as often as possible. There are three things

every turkey hunter posesses... Persistence,Patience and Hard Headedness

wow, our limit here is 1 buck and 2 doe with a permit.

In Delaware it is two bucks and four does w/lic. You can kill all the does you want for $10 for each tag. All deer get tagged, the game wardens are great. I have had 10 deer in a pickup, stopped for gas and game warden pulled up and asked where we were hunting and left w/o getting out of truck.

In Delaware it is two bucks and four does w/lic. You can kill all the does you want for $10 for each tag. All deer get tagged, the game wardens are great. I have had 10 deer in a pickup, stopped for gas and game warden pulled up and asked where we were hunting and left w/o getting out of truck.

i wish texas would do that , we have does by the 1000,s