Looking to buy shotgun number 2

shotgunNoob

Im in the market for a second pump shotgun (I currently own a Benelli SNT) and am having a tough time deciding between the following:

Benelli SNT (yes, another one)

-or-

Mossberg 590 Special Purpose - 9 shot (model 51663 which, as I understand, is essentially a 590A1 being sold/marked as "civilian.")

As much as I love the Benelli SNT, Im somewhat leaning towards the Mossy (51663) due to the generous mag capacity and heavier duty barrel/trigger assembly vs other "civilian" Mossbergs. Not to mention, I also am considering the fact that this shotgun will be far easier (and less expensive) to accessorize vs the Benelli.

Now, keep in mind, Im not suggesting this Mossberg trumps a Benelli SNT in terms of overall quality. Im just wondering if it may trump the Benelli in terms of overall practicality. After all, I already own a Benelli...should I really buy yet another one?

Any thoughts are welcome; if you have had any experience with this particular 590, your thoughts are more than welcome.

I have tried posing this question at other forums, but mainly received responses such as "forget these two shotguns and buy an 870 instead".

Edited by shotgunNoob

yes i own a 590SP 9-shot. And i own a benelli nova (not supernova) and my nova, which i spent 120$ LESS on, i like more. All the parts appear to be higher in quality.

Take notice that the 590 magazine may not hold 8 shots depending on the ammo type and manufacturer, it will hold just barely 8 winchester military grade ammo, which has a crimped length of approxamately 2.34" so if the overall length of the unfired shotshells you plan on using exceeds that, dont expect it to hold 8 of them. however it will hold 8 typical shells that measure 2.29" with about 1/2" of extra space.

dont get me wrong the mossberg will get the job done. But in my opinion the benelli nova is easier to shoot, load, and clean, and that is pretty much what takes priority over everything.

if you decide to get a mossberg i strongly recommending getting one that comes from the factory with LPA sights, because they are much better than the mossberg sights.

As it turns out, I also own a Mossberg 590A1. The pump is easily the best quality the company has put out, maybe because it was a military weapon. Smoother and slicker out of the box than any Winchester or Remington pump (new) with it's dual action bars. I understand the U.S. Navy is still purchasing them. If you take it completely apart, the owners manual for reassembly is confusing. However when apart, you can clean absolutely every thing. The pump does have that really cool, eye cathing heat shield and of course accepts the standard U.S. Army M9 Bayonet. With a black sling or better yet a military leather sling, the package looks great. I was very fortuneate to find a rare wooden buttstock for the 590A1 that shortens the LOP to 13" which is perfect for me (they were sold for a short time to Police agencies). So far mine will hold 8+1 of every brand 2+3/4" shotshell I have tried in it and it's a easy to stuff shells into the magazine without any effort.

Mine is mostly for show and tell as I also have my world class H+K S90 M1 in Defense Configuration. That's pistol grip, 7+1 rounds Bad Boy Benelli. Think M4's grand-daddy.

23 years old, been fired by numerous LE types, carried by me and still going strong! :)

I think i may have left the wrong impression... I have only actually found one brand that most certainly will not hold 8 shots in the tube, and that is nobelsport buckshot. it will hold 8 of everything else i have tried (including but not limited to, federal, winchester, remington, and fiocchi).

just in case you didnt know, the bayonet lug will accept anything m7 and up, i personally picked the m7 because compared to the m9 its more of a bayonet than a utility knife.

by the way, when you consider my opinion to SgtCathy's, you should note that i have only owned my 590 for about a month, and he has owned his for what was it 23 years? so he has much more expeirence with this particular gun.

Im in the market for a second pump shotgun (I currently own a Benelli SNT) and am having a tough time deciding between the following:

Benelli SNT (yes, another one)

-or-

Mossberg 590 Special Purpose - 9 shot (model 51663 which, as I understand, is essentially a 590A1 being sold/marked as "civilian.")

As much as I love the Benelli SNT, Im somewhat leaning towards the Mossy (51663) due to the generous mag capacity and heavier duty barrel/trigger assembly vs other "civilian" Mossbergs. Not to mention, I also am considering the fact that this shotgun will be far easier (and less expensive) to accessorize vs the Benelli.

Now, keep in mind, Im not suggesting this Mossberg trumps a Benelli SNT in terms of overall quality. Im just wondering if it may trump the Benelli in terms of overall practicality. After all, I already own a Benelli...should I really buy yet another one?

Any thoughts are welcome; if you have had any experience with this particular 590, your thoughts are more than welcome.

I have tried posing this question at other forums, but mainly received responses such as "forget these two shotguns and buy an 870 instead".

Go for the 590A1, if you go Mossberg. The 590 has the plastic trigger assembly, like the 500's had. Replace the magazine spring with a good aftermarket spring as the OEM spring with the reduced diameter coils on each end will bend over and kink, which may reduce magazine capacity. On our "duty" shotguns, after a year of "cruiser" carry, you can take the mag cap off and remove the mag end cap, and the mag spring won't extend out of the mag tube. It needs a good heavy duty spring.

Go for the 590A1, if you go Mossberg. The 590 has the plastic trigger assembly, like the 500's had.
Im thinking the "true" 590A1 is more expensive than the model Im looking at...not sure. However, the specific model I mentioned (51663) is supposed to have a heavy-walled barrel and all metal trigger assembly, such as those found on the 590A1. The only thing Im not sure about is the safety button (ie. plastic or metal). Either way, thats why I chose this particular model as, unlike many of the other "civvy" Mossbergs, this one contains several parts usually implemented in the 590A1 class Mossys.

I think the main reason I have been considering this gun over, lets say, another Benelli SNT is because Im needing a fairly inexpensive (but quality) shotgun for heavy range use/HD which, upon needing any replacement parts and/or accessories, will be much easier and cheaper to acquire vs my current Benelli.

My SNT is nice and I like it. Plus, it does make for a great all-around, high quality shotty. But, parts are just too expensive for this thing! Therefore, Im thinking about making this my "occasional" shooter, even though it may very well end up being the best shotgun I have (out of 2 or more).

Replace the magazine spring with a good aftermarket spring as the OEM spring with the reduced diameter coils on each end will bend over and kink, which may reduce magazine capacity.
If I end up buying this shotgun, I will certainly heed this advice. Thanks. Edited by shotgunNoob

Hi Mrs. Gun Guy,

I should have typed my remarks more carefully. It's my H+K S90 M1, that I've owned for 23 years. The Mossy, like I mentioned, is just for show and tell and is only 3 years old. My local gun dealer had four of them. Two 590's with speed stock and Ghost sights. One 590A1 with speed stock and Ghost sights plus the Mossy 590A1 I bought with standard stock and bead front sight.

Quick story. Back during the Viet Nam days, we had to use the weapons the U.S. Army supplied us. Our armory had 5 new Winchester pumps outfitted with heat shields and bayonets lugs. Every year we would take out the Winchesters and each MP would fire 10 rounds for familiarzation. Each time 2 or more of the pumps would fail and be shipped to depot for repair. Wish we had Benelli M4's back in the day !! :)

By the way, Mrs. Gun Guy's opinion is very much appreciated. I love reading her comments as well as others. I hope she keeps up the good work. ;)

Mossberg to Remington is more personal taste than actual performance. Neither weapon will do what the other will not. The 870 has more accessories for it readily available but both will serve the task of hunting/defense gun without any more then a change of barrel depending on the task at hand. Hold them and see which feels the best.