New Shotgun

Talkn' Turkey

I am new to turkey hunting and looking for a little help. Right now I am using a Benelli Nova and I want to buy a new shotgun but am unsure of what to get. Here are the two guns that I am thinking about, the Benelli Super Black Eagle II and the Stoeger Model 2000. Do both guns offer a steady grip and regular stock, or do you have to purchase them seperate or specify which stock you want when ordering. I know that the Stoeger only shots up to a 3" shell whereas the Super Black Eagle II shots a 3 1/2". I have never shot a gun with the steady grip, so one of my questions is does the steady grip make that big of a difference in comfort or accuracy? Next question, would you recommend buying a gun with the steady grip for the soul purpose of having the steady grip, and will you use only a gun with the steady grip for turkey hunting? I know that the Benelli is about 3 times as much as the Stoeger but I would rather pay the extra money and have a gun that lasted than to buy a gun and have to replace it 2 or 3 time during my turkey hunting career. Also would purchasing the recoil reducer be a good investment or just a waste of money, I have owned my Nova for about 6 years and have newer been hunting with it I have shot a few turkey shells (less than 2 boxes) through it, something about spring time bass fishing I just can't get off the front of my boat to turkey hunt but this year I decided that I would give it a try, fish bite all year turkey season is only 1 month. Any help would be greatly appriciated

First, welcome to the forum! Second, you're talking about a $1,000 difference between the two shotguns! The Stoeger can be had with the steady grip stock Model 2000 Steady Grip) for an additional $70 and the Benelli goes for an MSRP of $1,760.

As for the 3.5" rounds, the only reason I can tell to own a shotgun with that capacity is for waterfowl and steel shot. For turkey you can find effective 2.75" rounds that'll do just fine (last year I bagged two with my Winchester 1400 chambered in 2.75" only).

The real issue here is what do you want? If your budget allows for that $1,000 difference in price, then go for the Benelli all day long and twice on Sunday!

The recoil reducer is needed for the Stoeger where I think it is already incorporated in the SBE II. Finally, the pistol grip versus the steady grip all comes down to what you want. There are enough arguments for both and it really will come down to personal preference.

Hope that helps.

Mac

I am new to turkey hunting and looking for a little help. Right now I am using a Benelli Nova and I want to buy a new shotgun but am unsure of what to get. Here are the two guns that I am thinking about' date=' the Benelli Super Black Eagle II and the Stoeger Model 2000. Do both guns offer a steady grip and regular stock, or do you have to purchase them seperate or specify which stock you want when ordering. I know that the Stoeger only shots up to a 3" shell whereas the Super Black Eagle II shots a 3 1/2". I have never shot a gun with the steady grip, so one of my questions is does the steady grip make that big of a difference in comfort or accuracy? Next question, would you recommend buying a gun with the steady grip for the soul purpose of having the steady grip, and will you use only a gun with the steady grip for turkey hunting? I know that the Benelli is about 3 times as much as the Stoeger but I would rather pay the extra money and have a gun that lasted than to buy a gun and have to replace it 2 or 3 time during my turkey hunting career. Also would purchasing the recoil reducer be a good investment or just a waste of money, I have owned my Nova for about 6 years and have newer been hunting with it I have shot a few turkey shells (less than 2 boxes) through it, something about spring time bass fishing I just can't get off the front of my boat to turkey hunt but this year I decided that I would give it a try, fish bite all year turkey season is only 1 month. Any help would be greatly appriciated[/quote']

I say stay with your nova. You have a great turkey gun now. (Unless you have money burning in your pocket) I don't know where you live, but in Illinois (my experance) you can only shoot 1 bird with 1 tag in 1 season with 2 birds per year. I brought a box of hevi shot 4 years ago (10 shells),patterned 3 shells, and shot 3 birds. In other words, you don't need a semi auto for turkey. If you want it, than by all means, go for it. 3 of my buddys hunt turkey with single shots.

As far as the steadygrip, all personal. I have one on my supernova for turkeys and love it. It would be good for deer and coyote hunting as well.

Recoil reducer, nah. Recoil pad, yup. If we are just talking turkey hunting, again (my experance) the most I will shoot out of my turkey gun is 2 shells a year. Trust me, If your on aim on a turkey and you press the trigger, you won't even feel it.

I will make the sbe II purchase one of these days. But I will still keep my super nova turkey gun for turkeys.

Novaking

In my opinion, both Mr. Mac and Novaking are right on! The key here is what do you "want." Any type of action will work just fine for turkey hunting. The type of stock is most certainly personal preference, as I have seen all stock types used effectively for every type of game you can imagine and even on the trap range (pistol-gripped 870 shooting trap last month!). On the Stoeger Vs. Benelli SBEII question, the SBEII is, in my opinion, a much higher quality gun and more versatile due to its ability to handle 3.5" loads, which some do prefer for turkey. But, as Mr. Mac states, the Benelli is considerably more expensive.

Bottom line: Any of the three guns you mention will do the job just fine, and probably none better than any other. But, of the two "new" guns you're considering, the SBEII is, in my opinion, the better choice; actually, the best choice of all three for it's "versatility." But, it is all up to your personal preference.

Bottom line: Any of the three guns you mention will do the job just fine, and probably none better than any other. But, of the two "new" guns you're considering, the SBEII is, in my opinion, the better choice; actually, the best choice of all three for it's "versatility." But, it is all up to your personal preference.

If it's versatiliy one wants then you have to own a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum (2.75 - 3.5") solely for the fact that there are more aftermarket parts/accessories for it than any other shotgun out there! ;)

Edited by Mr. Mac

Based on the failures I have personally viewed, I would not accept a free Stoeger 2000. Actually, I would probably not even accept a free gun and cash. I might accept a free 2000 + a free guided hunt, but I'd bring a Benelli or a Browning as a back-up :)

I don't like any stock that is not adjustable. I bought a SG for my SBE II and sold it shortly thereafter when I found out it was not adjustable w/o altering the gun. It shot about a foot low.

As to an 870, I don't see where the original poster asked about a Remington 870. Besides, if you spent much time around a shop that sells lots of 870 SM's, you might not want one from the current production line.

If it patterns well, I'd keep the S-Nova.

I love my SBE II for turks, but it only patterns well out to around 40 yards.

If you are looking for a long range bomber, don't buy any Benelli.

Mudhen, you are correct, I did not mention anything about a Remington 870, and there is a good reason for that, here is a shot story about an 870 that you might find funny. Note: I am not new to hunting or shooting. I orginally bought an 870, purchased several different loads and was excited to pattern my new gun. After the first shot nearly rattled my teeth out I thought that maybe I just did not have a tight enough hold on the gun, next shot, pulled the gun tight to my shoulder, squeeze trigger, gun goes boom and after stars fad from sight check target, gun patterend well, I shot that gun about 20 times that day, the next day my right arm was black and blue from my shoulder to my wrist. The guy that talked me into buying this gun I had him shot it since he has the same gun, he only shot it one time and said that it kicked like a mule. I sold that gun 2 day later for half of what I paid for it and went and bought the Nova.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a 3rd way out. Buy a Super Nova. Steady grip doesn't make much difference. You dont need an auto for turkey. The super nova has the same comfort tech system as the super black eagle II, the ability to shoot 3.5s, and the price of the stoeger. But if you want a cheap camo 3.5" turkey gun that will last forever you have to get this 870

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_super_magnum_turkey_camo.asp