Canada Geese

BigFelipe

They are migratory birds and as such fall under federal as well as state regulations.

A federal waterfowl stamp is required, and a state stamp may also be needed. You can check your state's game department website for more information on license requirements, seasons, bag limits, and other regulations regarding hunting Canada geese.

If properly prepared, they can be quite tasty.

The meat is dark and has no marbling.

As such, it needs to be cooked no more than medium rare.

Anything past that and it becomes dry, tough, and gamey.

I usually grind some up and make a chili with it.

Bacon-wrapped jalapeño goose poppers on the grill are equally good.

From NC Wildlife 2008-2009 Regs

CANADA GOOSE HUNT ZONES

The state is divided into Canada goose hunt zones. See the map on

page 50 for zone descriptions. For the hunt dates that apply in

each zone, please call (800) 675-0263. A special permit is needed

to harvest Canada geese in the Northeast Hunt Zone. See the

Permit Hunting Opportunities publication to apply. Every hunter

receiving a Northeast Hunt Zone goose permit will also receive

a questionnaire. If the hunter does not return that completed

questionnaire to theWildlife Resources Commission by April 1,

that hunter will be ineligible for a Northeast Hunt Zone goose

permit the following season.

As with other migratory game birds, it is unlawful to hunt or possess

Canada geese without having HIP certification as well as other

applicable state and federal licenses and stamps in your possession.

Here are the dates and locations.

• 2 weeks later...

Canada Goose is great eating. Like anything else a great deal depends on how it is prepared. I have shot plenty of duck, but I bagged my first Canada last year. I prepared a fancy sauce and treated it like a fine turkey. Wrong, I should have treated it like a good piece of beef. One night it tasted like sirloin, and another it tasted like lean pork. My wife called it magic meat from the sky, tastes like whatever you want. Canada goose is solid, rich stick to your ribs meat. Don't treat it like poultry and don't overcook.

Canada Goose can taste pretty good. In our location the meat is mostly made into a Goose Bratwurst by a packing house processor (or guys with a fancy grinder) ;

or simply cooked rare, BUT no more than medium rare, and wrapped in smoked bacon & served with a wine based, fruity ,or mustard sauce.

Goose Brat recipes vary, but mostly you mix in pork, a little jalapeno, maybe cheese (mild cheddar to col jack) and the Goose meat for very a tasty grill treat on a bun. When done, add whatever condiments to the grilled Goose Brat & toasted bun (sour cream, bits of fresh tomato's ripe olives etc) ... we serve them at BBQ's and everyone , even the the kids eat them.

When oven broiling, or BBQ grilling the breast fillet you MUST have a meat thermometer. You must, no way around it. A new digital one with remote beeper you put on your belt is great. Rare and no more than medium rare or it will taste tough and a lot like liver.

The hard core duck/goose hunters in my area love the younger goose with thin sliced breast sauteed; cooked rare in the field with a frying pan and open campfire and a little butter w/fresh garlic. Kinda an initiation meal for the new guys.Eat it hot off your knife.

Edited by Mr Slugo