New M4, need HELP!

New_Texan

Ok, so I'm a newbie to shotguns (guns in general). So, please when answering my question, layman's terms!

I picked up my M4 today at a gun show. It is new, never been shot, but was assembled for the show.

I read the manual. Started to field strip it (to get familiar with it). All went fine until the time I tried to re-assemble it! I believe that bolt assembly is seated properly, but for the life of me, I cannot seem to get the barrel to "snap" into place. What am I doing wrong?!

Ok, I think my problem is I cannot get the bolt to seat "all the way back". I can only pull the cocking lever 3/4 of the way back. If the the cocking lever went all the way back (i.e. back as far as the groove appears to allow it to go), then I think the barrel would seat properly. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong??! How do I get the cocking lever to go "all the way back in the groove'?

ok, here's the pic. as you can see, the bolt will not go back all the way. consequently, the barrel is unable to snap onto the trigger/bolt apparatus as the bolt head "seats" on the barrel connector. and since the bolt won't go back any further, the barrel cannot "slide into position" with the "snap/click" that it's suppose to.

photo.jpg

ok, here's the pic. as you can see, the bolt will not go back all the way. consequently, the barrel is unable to snap onto the trigger/bolt apparatus as the bolt head "seats" on the barrel connector. and since the bolt won't go back any further, the barrel cannot "slide into position" with the "snap/click" that it's suppose to.

photo.jpg

Ok you broke it. your only means of redemption is to ship that baby to me.:D

It looks like your putting the bolt in after the trigger assembly. Take the trigger assembly out, and put the bolt in. Make sure that the bolt carrier tail is hitting/lined up with the recoil spring in the tube. Put the trigger assembly back in afterwards.

I didn't mess with the trigger assembly. I did, however, take off the bolt lever which enabled me to remove the bolt itself. I then removed the small pin inside the bolt (which required me to remove a second small pin holding the pin/spring assembly). But I think I put the bolt assembly back together properly. I'm not 100% sure that I'm inserting the bolt correctly into trigger assembly. Like the picture shows, I can only pull the bolt lever back 3/4 of the way. I'm assuming it is suppose to go all the way back in the groove?

I didn't mess with the trigger assembly. I did, however, take off the bolt lever which enabled me to remove the bolt itself. I then removed the small pin inside the bolt (which required me to remove a second small pin holding the pin/spring assembly). But I think I put the bolt assembly back together properly. I'm not 100% sure that I'm inserting the bolt correctly into trigger assembly. Like the picture shows, I can only pull the bolt lever back 3/4 of the way. I'm assuming it is suppose to go all the way back in the groove?

Do as i said. Take the trigger assembly out. Put the bolt in and line up so it hits the recoil spring. You'll see with the trigger assembly out, that the bolt carrier should move the spring inside the tube freely. Put the trigger assembly back on. and continue onto the barrel.

i leave it all up to dookey face

Yeah. I think his problem is that the bolt carrier tail is not hitting the spring because it's not lined up properly. You can put the bolt carrier on track at the front of the receiver, but that doesn't indicate the tailend is lined up correctly. If that tail is not lined up, the carrier doesnt go all the way back.

dookey,

thanks for the advice. i've managed to remove the trigger assembly. i see how the "arm" of the bolt inserts into the spring now.

without the trigger assembly in place, I put the bolt assemble in, positioned the bolt arm on the recoil spring, then manually depressed the bolt. the bolt only goes back as far as it did before with the trigger assembly in place. I think i'm doing something else wrong... just don't know what. any other suggestions?

dookey,

thanks for the advice. i've managed to remove the trigger assembly. i see how the "arm" of the bolt inserts into the spring now.

without the trigger assembly in place, I put the bolt assemble in, positioned the bolt arm on the recoil spring, then manually depressed the bolt. the bolt only goes back as far as it did before with the trigger assembly in place. I think i'm doing something else wrong... just don't know what. any other suggestions?

I told you you broke it, and to redeem yourself you need to ship that baby to me at once. :D

At this point, the only other thing I can think of is maybe the parts of the bolt that you removed are not assembled correctly. Also try using a cleaning rod to push the spring in the tube to see how far it will go down to eliminate that as the problem.